Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for the first stage of quitting/abstaining

Options
  • 26-02-2019 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm not an alcoholic but I definitely drink too much (3 to 4 times a week, about 4 or 5 triple vodkas - home measures, actually measured my usual amount out at the weekend and was shocked to see they are now triples) and have become quite dependent on it.

I'm not sure if I want to become tee total yet but I definitely want to quit for a while. A couple of years ago a liver ultrasound confirmed I have fatty deposits in my liver (due to my weight) and I know drinking to excess is not going to help this issue. I also think I will find it easier to lose weight if I give up for a while.

So just wondering if you have any tips for quitting and filling the void? It definitely has become more of a habit and laziness for me for example I find myself choosing to have a few drinks in the evening instead of cooking a meal etc.

Comments

Monife wrote: »
    Hi all.

I'm not an alcoholic but I definitely drink too much (3 to 4 times a week, about 4 or 5 triple vodkas - home measures, actually measured my usual amount out at the weekend and was shocked to see they are now triples) and have become quite dependent on it.

I'm not sure if I want to become tee total yet but I definitely want to quit for a while. A couple of years ago a liver ultrasound confirmed I have fatty deposits in my liver (due to my weight) and I know drinking to excess is not going to help this issue. I also think I will find it easier to lose weight if I give up for a while.

So just wondering if you have any tips for quitting and filling the void? It definitely has become more of a habit and laziness for me for example I find myself choosing to have a few drinks in the evening instead of cooking a meal etc.

Sounds like your well on the road to being an alcoholic and 3-4 times a week with triple measures suggest you are probably there. Liver damage being associated to weight, is that just a deflection to the reality it could be your drinking.

Not here to bash or anything but you are reaching out here so I reckon you probably deep down know it’s an issue. You don’t need to make a fool of yourself or become violent to be classed with a drink problem.

I suggest watching a few YouTube videos and maybe reading a few books or articles that will resonate with you.

If you are over weight, I suggest looking at diet with an hour of brisk walking a night with the aim of introducing jogging. This will give you endorphins the same as alcohol and make you feel great. Drinking to me is a huge habit but once you break it and start thinking in rose tinted glasses, think back to now. What age are you by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Sounds like your well on the road to being an alcoholic and 3-4 times a week with triple measures suggest you are probably there. Liver damage being associated to weight, is that just a deflection to the reality it could be your drinking.

Not here to bash or anything but you are reaching out here so I reckon you probably deep down know it’s an issue. You don’t need to make a fool of yourself or become violent to be classed with a drink problem.

I suggest watching a few YouTube videos and maybe reading a few books or articles that will resonate with you.

If you are over weight, I suggest looking at diet with an hour of brisk walking a night with the aim of introducing jogging. This will give you endorphins the same as alcohol and make you feel great. Drinking to me is a huge habit but once you break it and start thinking in rose tinted glasses, think back to now. What age are you by the way?

Thanks for your response. I am 31.

Definitely trying to incorporate more exercise but I have rheumatoid arthritis so it is not always possible.

Definitely trying to incorporate more exercise but I have rheumatoid arthritis so it is not always possible.

Have you been advised of any possible exercise for this condition? Have you or do you take supplements, Tumeric is good for joint pain

Just for info, i am doing intermittent 16:8 fasting and i have lost a lot weight and i found it relatively easy after a few days of adjustment. Not for everyone but it worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Have you been advised of any possible exercise for this condition? Have you or do you take supplements, Tumeric is good for joint pain

Just for info, i am doing intermittent 16:8 fasting and i have lost a lot weight and i found it relatively easy after a few days of adjustment. Not for everyone but it worked for me.

Water based exercise is best on the joints but I can go for walks provided I don't push through sharp pain. So just need to build up my stamina I think in relation to that.

I will have a look at the intermittent fasting. I am currently tracking my calories on My Fitness Pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Be aware that drinking has a profound effect on your digestive system..many drinkers are deficient of vitamins(especially B complex) and minerals.

A lot of negative physical effects of boozing are caused by vitamins either destroyed or not being taken due to poor nutritional habits:

The list of B-complex vitamins include:

Vitamin B1 (thiamin) — Deficiencies trigger depression and irritability and can cause neurological and cardiac disorders
    Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) — In 1982, an article published in the British Journal of Psychiatry reported that every one of 172 successive patients admitted to a British psychiatric hospital for treatment for depression was deficient in B2
    Vitamin B3 (niacin) — Depletion causes anxiety, depression, apprehension and fatigue
    Pantothenic Acid — Symptoms of deficiency are fatigue, chronic stress and depression
    Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) — Deficiencies can disrupt the formation of neurotransmitters
    Vitamin B12 — Deficiency will cause depression.
    Folic Acid — Deficiency is a common cause of depression.
    Deficiencies of other nutrients can also contribute to the negative feelings that frequently lead susceptible individuals toward another alcoholic beverage. These include:

Vitamin C — Continuing deficiency causes chronic depression and fatigue
    Magnesium — Symptoms of deficiency include confusion, apathy, loss of appetite, weakness and insomnia
    Calcium — Depletion effects the central nervous system
    Zinc — Inadequacies result in apathy, lack of appetite and lethargy
    Iron — Depression is often a symptom of chronic iron deficiency
    Manganese — Necessary for proper use of the B-Complex vitamins and Vitamin C
    Potassium — Depletion is frequently associated with depression, tearfulness, weakness and fatigue
    Chromium — Enhances glucose uptake into cells. A deficiency can cause hypoglycemia
    Omega 3 EFA — In adults, skin disorders and anemia develop as a consequence of EFA deficiency

Protein synthasis is also impacted and many drinkers are deficient in eletrolytes

It's important to help your body recover by supplementing with the above vitamins and minerals and making sure you hydrate adequatly by drinking lots of water and using something like dioralyte to replace blood salt levels.

As your aim is not to give up completely you should pay particular attention to your diet so that as your body returns to health you will actually feel LESS like drinking and more like being healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Good on you for recognising that it is be icing an issue for you. As other posters said diet has a lot to do with it and alcohol does affect the absorption so you probably have very little energy on top of being in pain. Take it a step at a time, any time in water is good even just walking around the pool and floating. A really good quality fish oil should help the joints maybe even pop to a nutritionist which might give you some tips but also the encouragement you need to develope newer healthier habits. Instead of spending your money on a night of drinks maybe start treating yourself to lunch with friends, an holistic massage or anything outside of pubs that you enjoy. Maybe there are sports it hobbies you used to enjoy but have forgotten about. Talk to anyone in your family that you are close to or a friend you trust. Opening up to those closest to you can really help and you'd be surprised at how many people can identify with what you're going through or have experience with family members in the same situation. Honesty can be very freeing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Hi all.

I could have written your post line for line 5 year ago. I’m 4 years off it this month.

The only tips I’d give you would be don’t think about next week. One day at a time was a bit too short for me so I did one month at a time. Pick a timeframe that works for you. Reduce it down to bite size chunks and at the end of each one make a decision. Hopefully you’ll be feeling so good that you’ll keep choosing to stay off it but at least that way it’s always your decision and you won’t feel forced into it.

Secondly find something to fill your time. You will get bored. Be kind to yourself but get active and lose the weight. It’ll make you feel much better and will reinforce your decision to stay off the beer for a while.

Lastly, enjoy it. Even if you only do a month, you’ll feel great and it’ll be an eye opener. You’ll never look at drink the same way again.

This could be the first day of the rest of your life.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭coleen

I am currently reading the naked mind by Annie Grace.
    It is worth a read just to give you a view of what drink does and how to cut down.
    Definitely exercise and loosing weight will give you a feel good factor that will help you .
    Good Luck

Advertisement