Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[April 25-26] National Airgun Championships 2009

Options
  • 14-04-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭

From the NTSA website:
    National Airgun Championships 2009

We are delighted to announce this year’s National Airgun Championships, which are to be held in University College Dublin’s range on the weekend of the 25th and 26th of April 2009, with Air Pistol events on Saturday 25th and Air Rifle events on Sunday 26th. The formats for this year’s competitions are as follows:

Event One: Men’s National Air Rifle Championship. This will be an Air Rifle 60 shot qualifying event leading into a 10 shot final.

Event Two: Women’s National Air Rifle Championships. This will be an Air Rifle 40 shot qualifying event leading into a 10 shot final.

Event Three: Junior National Air Rifle Championships, Male and Female (Under 21- I.S.S.F.). This will be based on an Air Rifle 40 shot score. Juniors wishing to compete in this Event must compete in either Event One or Event Two above. In the case of male junior shooters, the 40 shot score that will be used for this junior event will be the first 40 competition shots taken from their 60 shot event above. In the case of female shooters the 40 shot score which will be used in this junior event will be the same as their 40 shot event above. There is no separate entry into this Event.

Event Four: National Pistol Championships, Male and Female, Senior and Junior. This will be an Air Pistol 60 shot qualifying event leading into a 10 shot final.

Finals for the above:
    The Finals for the above will be restricted to NTSA members who are entitled to hold an Irish Passport. Selection of the top eight shooters for the purposes of the finals will be done with this in mind.

Class Prizes: All Competitors in Classes A, B, C, and D will be able to compete for prizes in these Classes. There will be three prizes per class. For this event, the class prizes will be based on the first 40 shot score recorded from the 60 in Event One and the 40 shot score of Event Two. There are no class prizes for Air Pistol.

Re-entry is not permitted.

The fees for event one and two and four are as follows:

Adult entry = €20.00
    Student and / or Junior entry = €15.00.

Event Timetable
    Saturday 25th of April 09

Air Pistol

All times are Start Times : Preperation time begins 10 minutes earlier.
    Equipment Control opens at 10.00h : All pistols must pass Equipment Control prior to the match and all trigger weights will be checked after the shooter's detail.

Detail 1 11.00h

Detail 2 13.00h

Final 15.30h (Finals may be held earlier depending on attendance of Detail 2)

Medal Ceremony immediately following Finals

Sunday 26th of April 09

Air Rifle

All times are Start Times : Preperation time begins 10 minutes earlier. Equipment Control opens at 09.00h.

Detail 1 10.00h

Detail 2 12.00h

Detail 3 14.00h

Men's Final 16.30h (Finals may be held earlier depending on attendance of earlier Details)

Women's Final 17.30h (Finals may be held earlier depending on attendance of earlier Details)

Medal Ceremony immediately following Women's Finals

Pre booking is necessary

No entries will be accepted after 5.00pm on Thursday the 23th of April 2009.

Please contact Liam Crawford through the NTSA website or by email at Chairman@targetshootingireland.org or by SMS only to 087 2453137.

We wish to thank the UCD club for their continued support and use of their facilities. We wish to congratulate them too on the refurbishment of their range.

Pat O'Hagan.
    Airgun Coordinator

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Folks, just a note - if you're booking in to this by mobile phone, please just send a text message to Liam rather than a phone call. And don't forget you only have another day or two to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

If anybody wants to watch this without all the bother of travelling to UCD, well it should be possible. I say should because I haven't done tests from UCD, but it works from fairly slowish broadband connections and UCD's should be pretty quick.

Check out www.targetshooting.ie and click on 'Live Scores' on the menu.

Bump!

Well, that was my worst AP match in a while (473! Feck!) but we saw a new Irish AP record set by Peter Friend with 554, so not bad. The finals were tight in a place or two so the spectators had a bit of fun as well. Photos and results will no doubt follow as soon as folks get back home...

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭FLOYDSTER

Yeah come on get some pics and results up!!!:D;)

• Advertisement

Some photos (there are more out there...)

dscf5382a.jpg
    Peter getting to try his loaner air pistol for the first time.

dscf5383a.jpg
    Pre-match chatter for folks who've not been on the same range for a while.

dscf5385a.jpg
    Equipment Control is open...

dscf5386a.jpg

dscf5388a.jpg

dscf5390a.jpg
    Preperation time

dscf5392a.jpg

dscf5394a.jpg

dscf5395a.jpg

dscf5396a.jpg
    The match underway (detail 2).

dscf5401a.jpg
    Peter showing off :D

dscf5415a.jpg
    dscf5416a.jpg
    John's Aer Lingus Baggage Handler-proof pistol case. All home-made and utterly awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Nice shooting from Peter Friend anyway, we're glad to have him aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

I'm watching the Nationals now online at home in Cork, so it does work! But when someone takes their last shot, it suddenly disappears, the target doesn't remain behind so I have no idea what anyone's last shot was. Also, it would be cool if you could see all the shots people had taken, not just the last series. Just a suggestion!:p

I'm watching the Nationals now online at home in Cork, so it does work! But when someone takes their last shot, it suddenly disappears, the target doesn't remain behind so I have no idea what anyone's last shot was. Also, it would be cool if you could see all the shots people had taken, not just the last series. Just a suggestion!tongue.gif

I'm not sure what you mean in the first part, but in the second bit, it's not possible to display more than ten scored shots. This is a limitation in the target software but I presume it's because you'd have a huge amount of numbers on the screen when 14 people are shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 joecoie

Hi RRPC,
    This is a great facility. Might be worth indicating on the link that the 'Relay 4' link displays all competitors on one page, I had been trying to use multiple individual windows, until I tried the link to see what it did.

Are the final standings in this format available for the Air pistol from yesterday, it would be nice to have.

And again congratulations to Peter, who in spite of many difficulties still triumphed (dam!!!) :D .

Joe.

• Advertisement

joecoie wrote: »
    Hi RRPC,
    This is a great facility. Might be worth indicating on the link that the 'Relay 4' link displays all competitors on one page, I had been trying to use multiple individual windows, until I tried the link to see what it did.
    Thanks Joe, well you've said it, so that's done ;)

That page is automatically generated, so there's no way to add helpful hints. I can't really edit it either because it gets overwriten.

Hopefully people will point and click and learn as time goes on.

by the way, Firefox is far better to use than IE because it doesn't refresh the page.
    Are the final standings in this format available for the Air pistol from yesterday, it would be nice to have.
    Unfortunately not. These are created by the system on the fly and are killed aftewards.

Final just starting folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

rrpc wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean in the first part, but in the second bit, it's not possible to display more than ten scored shots. This is a limitation in the target software but I presume it's because you'd have a huge amount of numbers on the screen when 14 people are shooting.

While watching Lorcan take his last few shots, he was on shot 59, then the screen re loaded but it just came up white, so I couldn't see his final score. May have just been my machine being slow though, when I exited and re-clicked on other people I could see their final scores.

t0mm wrote: »
    While watching Lorcan take his last few shots, he was on shot 59, then the screen re loaded but it just came up white, so I couldn't see his final score. May have just been my machine being slow though, when I exited and re-clicked on other people I could see their final scores.

What happened there is that the picture for Lorcan's score didn't get fully uploaded. It was possibly just a bad packet or a slowdown on the upload, but the upshot was that the picture didn't get uploaded again until the next full pass.

I spent a bit of time analysing the traffic whilst testing this system and it's quite clever. It only uploads when there's been a change in the data. If you use Firefox, you'll see it in the overlays because only a few targets get updated in each pass. There's also an update every couple of minutes if no data changes, so in the case of Lorcan's, it took a bit longer because he'd finished and the data didn't change.

I was watching at the same time as you and his target updated after about three or four refreshes.

It's a shame last shots aren't shown - Colm was shooting his finals with busted sights (they made a break for freedom from his kitbag between qualifying and finals) - his first shot was waaay off in the white, and after winding down as far as the sights would go, he was still off the aiming mark at 12 o'clock - so he had to aim off for the whole finals and finally hit a 10.2 with his last shot after a few 9's :D

Photos and stuff on the way...

I missed the first two details (including mine) thanks to a nice bout of food poisoning or something similar last night, so there's fewer photos than there would have been but....

dscf5419a.jpg

dscf5420a.jpg

dscf5421a.jpg

Prep underway for the third detail...

dscf5423a.jpg

Equipment control in action.

dscf5424a.jpg

Last minute coaching before the detail gets underway...

dscf5426a.jpg

And we're off!

dscf5427a.jpg

dscf5430a.jpg

dscf5435a.jpg

dscf5436a.jpg

Shooting underway...

dscf5439a.jpg

Spectators get to watch the scores coming in, and one or two with iPhones were watching on the web while there because they thought the iPhone screens were sharper :D

dscf5440a.jpg

dscf5444a.jpg

dscf5450a.jpg

More shooting...

More photos...

dscf5455a.jpg

dscf5456a.jpg

dscf5458a.jpg

Third detail ended with a whole 6 minutes to spare for one shooter :D

dscf5462a.jpg

The mens finals was run first - and Colm (who has his arm raised here) found he was shooting with damaged sights after he dropped them. His first shot was a few inches north of where it should be, and after winding down as far as the sights would go, still no joy...

dscf5465a.jpg

dscf5473a.jpg

Since each shot in a finals is fired and scored individually (and the scores read out to the spectators), there's lots of time for contemplation :D

dscf5480a.jpg

Or just plain hatred for your rifle :D

dscf5483a.jpg

But you can get there in the end ;)

dscf5500a.jpg

Women's finals was next, and there were only a few points between 1st and 2nd, and only a few between 3rd and 4th.

dscf5505a.jpg

dscf5508a.jpg

Lots of attention being focussed on the scoreboards!

Sparks wrote: »
    I missed the first two details (including mine) thanks to a nice bout of food poisoning or something similar last night, so there's fewer photos than there would have been but....
    Soryy to hear that, we were wondering where you were...
    Spectators get to watch the scores coming in, and one or two with iPhones were watching on the web while there because they thought the iPhone screens were sharper :D
    Haven't we got sooo high tech? :D

To be fair, Peter was very impressed with the setup. Being able to watch the scores at a competition is not that common around the world and Sius Ascor charge an arm and a leg to add that to their system. He aso said that a lot of the lanes in Bisley have broken down and you can forget about big screens and web shots :eek:

As for being able to go back on shots on the web, it's definitely possible to do it, just not that feasible. It'd mean creating folders and links to each part of a competition. Folders for each detail and each final would have to be made and links to each one.

Bt if you really, really want it.... ;)

Posted up scores there, but on reading through them realised that they're wrong - I must have grabbed the wrong files on leaving the range :(

Soryy to hear that, we were wondering where you were...
    Yeah, ate something yesterday, had a philosophical disagreement with it, and well, let's just say it took all the fight out of me :D
    Haven't we got sooo high tech? :D
    I'm not complaining - I remember doing this by hand too y'know :D
    To be fair, Peter was very impressed with the setup. Being able to watch the scores at a competition is not that common around the world and Sius Ascor charge an arm and a leg to add that to their system. He aso said that a lot of the lanes in Bisley have broken down and you can forget about big screens and web shots :eek:
    Yeah, Suis Ascor are fairly backward at this point - I think they're really resting on their ISSF certification at this stage. And Bisley's signed up to a service contract with them, so if they want anything fixed, someone has to get on the plane from Switzerland, so they won't call them in for just one lane. If SA don't get their act together, they're going to find that smaller groups like Megalink have eaten their lunch. At 1500 euro for a 10m firing point, they are affordable given their lifespan.
    As for being able to go back on shots on the web, it's definitely possible to do it, just not that feasible. It'd mean creating folders and links to each part of a competition. Folders for each detail and each final would have to be made and links to each one.
    Bt if you really, really want it.... ;)
    Might be no harm really. But what I want more is to be able to export out the scores in a CSV or Excel file (CSV preferred). We need that for long-term archival if nothing else!

I'm not complaining - I remember doing this by hand too y'know :D
    Me too, that's what I still can't get to grips with. It only seems like yesterday we were gauging targets and writing stuff down and now "we're like, live on the web man" :)
    Yeah, Suis Ascor are fairly backward at this point - I think they're really resting on their ISSF certification at this stage. And Bisley's signed up to a service contract with them, so if they want anything fixed, someone has to get on the plane from Switzerland, so they won't call them in for just one lane.
    I wonder are they still paying that contract? Peter said you have to walk a lot of lanes to find a working one at the moment.
    If SA don't get their act together, they're going to find that smaller groups like Megalink have eaten their lunch. At 1500 euro for a 10m firing point, they are affordable given their lifespan.
    It's not just the price (although that's a biggie), it's the ease of use, the software and the 'everything built in - no extras' approach that does it for me.
    Might be no harm really. But what I want more is to be able to export out the scores in a CSV or Excel file (CSV preferred). We need that for long-term archival if nothing else!
    You can do all that no problem. All the reports can be output as CSV, that's what I use a lot of the time to update my spreadsheets.

You really should download the software and have a go at playing around with it. There are only about five or six of us in the country that are au fait with it and there's still lots of functionality we haven't explored yet. We could have been doing Live Web last year if we'd spent more time on it.

• Advertisement

I've a copy of the software here (running on a virtual machine on my linux laptop, thankyouverymuch :D ) but finding the menu command that says "Export everything to CSV" is proving a bit of a pain at the moment :D

Also, can you download the latest software free? And if so, from where?

I've a copy of the software here (running on a virtual machine on my linux laptop, thankyouverymuch :D ) but finding the menu command that says "Export everything to CSV" is proving a bit of a pain at the moment :D

Also, can you download the latest software free? And if so, from where?

You need a username and password to d/l the software from the support section of the megalink site (email sent).

To export data, you need to do it on a competition basis in reports and instead of printing the report, you output to file using the 'To File' button funnily enough :D

You can't dump the whole lot because each competition is standalone.

BTW, speaking of high-tech :D

The presentations at the end of the match:

Will we be able to have the same setup next week where people can watch live online? It's a fantastic service, really thought it was a great addition. Was watching some of the shooting from Intershoot this year as well and it's a big feather in our caps to have that now.

Will we be able to have the same setup next week where people can watch live online? It's a fantastic service, really thought it was a great addition. Was watching some of the shooting from Intershoot this year as well and it's a big feather in our caps to have that now.

Need a broadband connection. Sparks promised a 3G 'yoke', but he may have been drunk at the time ;)

Need a broadband connection. Sparks promised a 3G 'yoke', but he may have been drunk at the time ;)

Hehe, remains to be seen so. would be very cool though.

No, they're real enough:
    34547961__1234270685__1__1-ee2e67376cccbb9f400a298cf3c9236c.__big__.jpg

And I said my guts were fermenting, not that there was alcohol taken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ironman Collie

Hi Sparks,

Nice pictures, especially the one where you capture my despair during the final. Damn sights, damn butter fingers and before the national final of all times!

Any ideas on who can repair my sights, I think the elevation adjustment got the worst of it, I will bring them along to the meeting tonight for advice, I think they are salvagable just alot of loose movement inside where there should be none.

Ah well at least I entertained, and I never heard such a hoorah for a 10 before!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Any chance of some scores??

• Advertisement

Yup, just need to format them bigred, I'll get to it today.

Advertisement