Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Almost forgot, it doesn't really qualify as a pub as it was a nightclub and I'm not sure if it ever had any kind of licence, The Asylum. It was a notorious ravey-type nightclub on Sackville Place open in the early 1990s - there's a long-running thread about it somewhere on boards. Heard a rumour that the bouncers took to carrying guns towards the end of its short existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Haha that brings back memories, me and a friend moved into the area in 2005 and went on a search for a new local. Found ourselves in the Patriots at closing time and when the karaoke finished on went Amhran Na Bhfiann and the whole pub rose up. You could still buy a pint when it finished :D Good pub the Patriot, they had a very active darts team in the bar and the 'Old Kilmainham' locals were always friendly. We drank there for a few weeks until we discovered the Royal Oak and then that became our permanent local. Anyone know is the Patriot still playing the national anthem at closing time?

The Patriot is quite a tourist pub these days I would have thought. Last time I was in the Royal Oak about a year ago, it's been taken over and seems really hipster now in keeping with the area. Still a lovely pub though and hasn't changed physically except for the little drinking area outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

I’ve heard bad things about Agnes Brown’s on Thomas Street... something along the lines of a kingpin sitting down the back

Kiely's in donnybrook had to be shut down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

If the op gets a photo of himself in the priorswood when it’s busy I will give him a thanks on The boards thanks system.

• Advertisement

BDI wrote: »
    If the op gets a photo of himself in the priorswood when it’s busy I will give him a thanks on The boards thanks system.

That's very generous of you. I hope the OP obliges, it's the very least he could do.

Qrt wrote: »
    I’ve heard bad things about Agnes Brown’s on Thomas Street... something along the lines of a kingpin sitting down the back

Bridie Mulligan from the Coombe? Her bark is worse then her bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

machaseh wrote: »
    If I would take me mate on a Bad Pubs of Dublin tour, I'd choose the following ones. Mind you I have only been living here for 2 years, so my experience is a bit limited.

- Kiltipper Inn, Kiltipper Tallaght. It's actually not too bad of a pub I like it but there's some rough people with tracksuits there. Also being extremely far out of town makes it quite unique to visit, most dubliners would never come here if they werent from the area.
    - Swiss Cottage has sadly closed but it was quite a rough pub.
    - Lloyds on Amiens street near conolly station
    - Molloy's Pub near conolly station
    - Berkeley Inn on Berkeley Street (I even suffered discrimination there)
    - Donaghmede Inn, better known locally as the Donaghmede Bin. It is truly the worst pub in Dublin I'd say. Absolutely no atmosphere, just a grey block of concrete in a suburban shopping mall. Fights or people tampering with the ATM are not uncommon.
    - Dicey's, not really a pub but yeah...
    - River Bar. I wouldnt even dare to enter.
    Lloyd's is ok ,bit run down but not rough.
    Molloys is full of cops and civil servants and I never seen any trouble in it .Was a regular there for a few years.Owner runs a good shop.

Diceys and the River Bar ,you must be just pulling the piss.Hard to think of many less intimidating places.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Jobstown House, Killinarden House and the Black Forge really aren't that bad at all. Most especially in the afternoon. You must be quite easily worried.

Clearys seemed a bit of a kip when I was last there alright

Good lord.:D It's just a bog standard suburban Dublin pub that serves food. If you relocated to any postcode in Dublin, it'd be virtually indistinguishable from most pubs there. Has anybody thanking these posts actually had a drink in any of these pubs?

I wasn’t worried in any of them three! Killinarden and Forge were grand. Forge is actually lovey inside. There was a man at the bar who was doing a pub crawl. On a Monday night. On his own. He’d started at the Kestral lol.

Jobstown Inn we went on a BH Monday night, stayed for a few drinks that time. There was a big football match (think it was the night Leicester officially one the league) and a great atmosphere but still very rough. Bar staff were very nice and professional.

Agree with you on the Kiltipper, it’s a pub grub type of place, families at weekends, groups of people watching sport during the week, birthday parties, etc. Nothing rough at all about it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Qrt wrote: »

Was in there early enough one weekend and they were playing clubland 3 or a similar era of overly bouncy Scouse house / remixed trance CD. Basically what teenagers would have played in their modified Japanese imports teh years earlier.

Didn't seem any rougher than many other D8 pubs though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

The Capel Inn was dog rough as well think its shut now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Scoundrel wrote: »
    The Capel Inn was dog rough as well think its shut now

Now a very fancy poitin bar called 1661

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Forum bar on Parnell street, blue lion and jds on Parkgate Street

Most pubs around the city centre are fine these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

L1011 wrote: »
    Now a very fancy poitin bar called 1661

No way it used to be an absolute hole with some interesting characters in it to say the least its a pity in a way that these places are being replaced with fancy dan super expensive places.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Surprised the Hideout off NCR hasn't got a mention. Closed for a while but think its reopened now

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

The Oasis

Its on my Bucket list. Apparently zero chance of getting a seat without getting started on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

shutup wrote: »
    Its on my Bucket list. Apparently zero chance of getting a seat without getting started on.

My nanny and her sister had their own table in there (we're talking years back, 80s and 90s). They wouldn't go too often maybe once or twice a week on a good week so they weren't regular but as soon as they arrived if anyone was at 'their' table they'd be told to move sharpish by other patrons. Of course the nanny and sister wouldn't be above telling them to shift off their table either :D

Ronney wrote: »
    Surprised the Hideout off NCR hasn't got a mention. Closed for a while but think its reopened now

Spent a few hours in it last month.Seemed grand .

Wasn't a fan of the Hideout but it wouldn't have turned up on my roughest list. Should probably mention mine, bearing in mind that I've not been to some of the ones that are repeatedly mentioned yet. And this is based on what it was like when I visited; theres one in particular that was absolutely grand but I suspect is normally awful (Auld Triangle, coated in Republican murals and memorabilia inside and out)

In no particular order:

Marble Arch - they've got a fantastic physical quality pub here. Shame about the customers.
    57 Talbot - all the refits in the world can't stop this being Mother Kellys.
    Blind Ref - normally the roughest pub in an area is the cheapest. This isn't. Like drinking in a threatening shed.
    Graingers Meath Street - another threatening shed of a pub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

machaseh wrote: »
    Lloyds has cheap Beamish on draft (then you already know what kind of pub it is).

:confused::confused::confused:

My local pub, which is frequented by civil servants, retired Gardaí, and other pillars of middle-class respectability, also sells cheap Beamish on tap. If Beamish is your benchmark as to whether a pub is rough or not, you've lived a sheltered life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

The Honey Pot (gone)
    The Welcome Inn (gone)
    The Blue Lion (gone)

rough as f**k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Molly Heffernans in Tallaght or the Blue Banana in Clondalkin, were the maddest places I drank in, in my youth.
    One place I pass regularly is the Long Island on Dorset Street, looks well dodgy but closed now I think.
    I've never heard of anyone drinking in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Morbid curiosity has me wanting to go to a dive of a place

Marble Arch, swings from UFCs finest in there.

The Mulk wrote: »
    One place I pass regularly is the Long Island on Dorset Street, looks well dodgy but closed now I think.
    I've never heard of anyone drinking in it.

I was there a few months ago, it could have closed since. Inside and outside don't even vaguely match - its in decent nick inside and it seemed fine.

Outside is probably in the top two worst looking pubs in Dublin, vying with the Oasis!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Mulk wrote: »
    Molly Heffernans in Tallaght .

I was in there for a few Sunday mornings same crowd of seasoned drinkers each time

no messing though very friendly

tried to get a taxi home and was informed that the local firms wont send taxis up to the pub

L1011 wrote: »
    I was there a few months ago, it could have closed since. Inside and outside don't even vaguely match - its in decent nick inside and it seemed fine.

Outside is probably in the top two worst looking pubs in Dublin, vying with the Oasis!

Yeah inside and outside are worlds apart. Decent pub inside but its and awful looking kip from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I was in there for a few Sunday mornings same crowd of seasoned drinkers each time

no messing though very friendly

tried to get a taxi home and was informed that the local firms wont send taxis up to the pub

It's over 15 years since I was in it, was a mad place then, the off licence attached to it was full of cages to protect the drink. You had to ring a bell to get in.
    Only had one or two there after training on the astro pitch beside the school.
    Used to head to The Belgard or Cuckoos Nest afterwards.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

^aka the flying stool.

Heard a great one from one of the barman who was doing a stint in the offie.

He saw some young scoby come up on a bike. He rang the bell to come in, was loitering around inside, waited till the guy was serving someone, grabbed a can of Harp and ran out the door. Barman lept over the counter, out the door and brought scoby's bike inside. Young lad was whingeing outside, but he didn't get it back. It was sold it to €30 to a lad in the bar before sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

The Oasis

Yeah, there's two rough skobies in there always arguing with each other. They'll have a go at anyone who comments or tries to interfere. Brothers i hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Surprised the Newtown house off the Malahide rd (darndale) hasn't gotten a mention....

Advertisement