Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook to start New Property Boom in North Docklands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

This is a very rough part of the city. Close to Sheriff Street. At least in the IFSC and Docklands you can get luas or walk along the quays. Here you'd have to walk through some of the roughest estates in the country, where there is a gangland feud ongoing. I hope Facebook have really thought this through. I don't see many of their employees being advised to rent locally.

What this shows is the ridiculous shortage of premium office space in the main CBD's, forcing Facebook to resort to this option. There's a reason it's been lying idle for 10 years while all other office space was taken up.

That's a bit of an exaggeration I think. The rough part of Sheriff St where you daren't not walk is the Lower part which is cordoned off by Seville Place/Connolly Station. There's far more existing businesses closer to Sheriff Street since the IFSC began. Going to the new FB office, that would be nowhere along your route.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is a very rough part of the city.

Its not. I suspect you haven't been there any time within the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

L1011 wrote: »

Fully agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fred_Johnson

I live so close to it i can see it. I can also hear and see them burning tires.

You're telling me the area close to Sheriff Street and East Wall is not a dangerous part of the city? Is that an alternative fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You're telling me the area close to Sheriff Street and East Wall is not a dangerous part of the city? Is that an alternative fact?

Pretty much.

Aside from seeing kids burning tires the odd time, and the existence of an internal feud in the criminal fraternity, what exactly are the dangers posed to the Facebook employees? You can walk up and down Seville Place and East Wall road an awful amount, without any joy, if you're hoping to encounter a dangerous situation. One of those instances where that awful term snowflake applies imo.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Pretty much.

Aside from seeing kids burning tires the odd time, and the existence of an internal feud in the criminal fraternity,

ahahaha...yeah, only that? I'm sure the 65% unemployment rate in the area results in a delightful bunch of people.
    One of those instances where that awful term snowflake applies imo.

Let's see you walk sheriff street and the surrounding streets late at night on a regular basis. Somehow i imagine you walking rather briskly if you came across a few locals burning tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

Give the area a break , there are a lot of decent people who live and work in the area and the influx of major premium companies into the area is a massive vote of confidence for the North Docklands.

The fact is that Dublin overall is a more dangerous and violent place and you need to be on your guard walking everywhere at night , bad things can happen in parts of the west and south sides as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I work on Sheriff Street at the moment - the bad bit (Noctors end), nowhere near where these offices are going. Worked in East Wall for 3 years previously. 3.5 years and I haven't seen a single tyre being burned.

You are making stuff up, pure and simple.

Facebook are going on to East Road, which is perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've worked almost adjacent to, and walked by, Noctors pretty much every working day for the last 25 years and I'm still alive (although the job is destroying my soul :) ) Never had any bother. The area is a pretty grotty though until you get to Mayor St. Even then it's a bit like a suburban office park.

Kids on bikes trying to look tough is the biggest issue I have. And a kid threw a water balloon at me one hot summer day from the 5-a-side pitch on Commons St. He missed :)

I work on Sheriff Street at the moment - the bad bit (Noctors end), nowhere near where these offices are going. Worked in East Wall for 3 years previously. 3.5 years and I haven't seen a single tyre being burned.

You are making stuff up, pure and simple.

Facebook are going on to East Road, which is perfectly safe.

How can you have a bad "bit" of a street? It's takes a minute or two to walk up Sheriff Street.

People who work on sheriff street do not have some special insight. You probably disappear home at 6pm every day. I see it at night. I see them burning couches by the canal, bonfires, speeding up and down Sheriff street at 4am. Now, are you seriously saying with a straight face that this is an appropriate place for a young Facebook employee to be living or working in? I hope it doesn't put Facebook off further investment in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

How can you have a bad "bit" of a street? It's takes a minute or two to walk up Sheriff Street.

20 minutes according to Google maps from East Wall Rd to Amiens St.

https://goo.gl/maps/udqNiVgBJQ12

And incidentally, it takes 8 minutes to walk the length of East Rd to Sheriff St, probably 6 or 7 from FB's front door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

People who work on sheriff street do not have some special insight. You probably disappear home at 6pm every day. I see it at night. I see them burning couches by the canal, bonfires, speeding up and down Sheriff street at 4am. Now, are you seriously saying with a straight face that this is an appropriate place for a young Facebook employee to be living or working in? I hope it doesn't put Facebook off further investment in Ireland.

I'll wager a tenner you couldn't run it in twice that :-)

From lower to upper end to end is a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I work on Sheriff Street at the moment - the bad bit (Noctors end)
    That place will be a coffee house within a decade!

Wan't there someone shot on Sheriff Street last year in a case of mistaken identity?

I mean lads come on, let's deal with reality.

It's takes a minute or two to walk up Sheriff Street.

You are just making this up now.

Sheriff Street is 1.6km in length. You aren't walking that in a minute or two, even if you are actually Rob Heffernan.

The canal is nowhere near the Facebook building, by the way - as you clearly don't know where anything is there.

Wan't there someone shot on Sheriff Street last year in a case of mistaken identity?

1km as the crow flies from the new Facebook building.

About 20% further away from the incident than their existing one.

Just drop it, please. You don't know what you're talking about.

. Now, are you seriously saying with a straight face that this is an appropriate place for a young Facebook employee to be living or working in? I hope it doesn't put Facebook off further investment in Ireland.

Firstly, are young Facebook employees so much more sensitive to the rest of the population?
    And, secondly, maybe some of those young Facebook employees could be actually from the area?

People can and do get shot in a lot of places

Just drop it, please. You don't know what you're talking about.

I know a lot more than anyone else on this topic because i live in the vicinity, so why don't you drop it.

I know a lot more than anyone else on this topic because i live in the vicinity, so why don't you drop it.

You've just shown quite categorically that you don't know where Sheriff Street is, and where the new Facebook offices are.

If you live in the vicinity, you don't know the area at all. You are making utterly baseless claims that at best (when stripping the clear exaggeration) relate to the "bad end" of Sheriff Street and Seville Place - a very considerable distance from the new Facebook offices.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Firstly, are young Facebook employees so much more sensitive to the rest of the population?
    And, secondly, maybe some of those young Facebook employees could be actually from the area?

They could be but mostly they're young university educated professionals both from Ireland and abroad. If employees start complaining about anti-social and criminal behavior near where they're working it may deter future investment in Ireland which would be my concern.
    People can and do get shot in a lot of places

They do but they're more likely to get shot in some places rather than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Regardless those areas in D1/D3 are perfectly fine during the day and redevelopment and investment is exactly what the area needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They do but they're more likely to get shot in some places rather than others.

Indeed, some very expensive areas in D8 for example.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You live in the area but you've demonstrated that you don't know the area by saying you can walk the length of Sherriff Street in 2 mins.

You've just shown quite categorically that you don't know where Sheriff Street is, and where the new Facebook offices are.

If you live in the vicinity, you don't know the area at all. You are making utterly baseless claims that at best (when stripping the clear exaggeration) relate to the "bad end" of Sheriff Street and Grand Parade - a very considerable distance from the new Facebook offices.

Not that far at all from the new offices, and the point is many of the employees will have to walk through the "bad end" of the street to get to the offices. Personally i don't think there is a bad end, i've seen certain behaviors up and down the street and nearby.

I can actually see Sheriff Street and the new offices from where i live. So why don't you keep quiet about who knows what about locations.

Not that far at all from the new offices, and the point is many of the employees will have to walk through the "bad end" of the street to get to the offices. Personally i don't think there is a bad end, i've seen certain behaviors up and down the street and nearby.

The new offices are about 200m FURTHER away as the crow flies from Noctors than their current offices are! Even further on foot.
    I can actually see Sheriff Street and the new offices from where i live. So why don't you keep quiet about who knows what about locations.

You have shown that you think Sheriff Street is something completely different to what it is so god only knows what you think you're seeing. Ditto on the bad end - if you can't tell what the bad end of Sheriff Street is, you haven't been on Sheriff Street.

I would suggest you - urgently - take a look at a map.

The new offices are about 200m FURTHER away as the crow flies from Noctors than their current offices are! Even further on foot.

You have shown that you think Sheriff Street is something completely different to what it is so god only knows what you think you're seeing. Ditto on the bad end - if you can't tell what the bad end of Sheriff Street is, you haven't been on Sheriff Street.

I would suggest you - urgently - take a look at a map.

At least you admit there is a bad end, so it's nice of you to agree with me that this could potentially cause problems for employees.

At least you admit there is a bad end, so it's nice of you to agree with me that this could potentially cause problems for employees.

The bad end - that you claimed didn't exist so no, I'm not agreeing with you - is over a kilometre away from the new offices and closer to their old ones.

Do you even know where these new offices are? Considering you have trouble knowing where Sheriff Street is...

Croke Park is as close to where that shooting took place as the new offices are - that is how far away it is.

I have no idea what your motives are here but its clear you don't know the area in the slightest and have a very odd thing about "young employees"

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

I actually live on East Road and could probably hit the new offices with a stone from my apartment.

I think the area is a bit rundown looking, but is as safe if not safer than most places I've lived in Dublin. I definitely saw more anti social behaviour when I lived on Phibsborough Road, and when living on Cork Street.

As for having to walk through dodgy places to get there, 151 bus stops at the front door, Luas is close, Docklands station is close, and the walk from Connolly is perfectly fine (no need to stop in Noctor's for a pint..).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

It makes *very* little sense as to why you think FB employees would walk down Sheriff Street Lower. Even if they were alighting at Connolly Station, you'd still follow the Luas tracks through the IFSC as it's a less grim walk.

Why hasn't it already potentially caused problems for the 10's of other long established company employees in the IFSC? JP Morgan, KPMG and Citi Bank are just a stone's throw from Sheriff Street.

Advertisement