Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installation of Inline Extractor Fan Problem

• 23-02-2020 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

We had an expensive renovation of a bathroom done about 5&1/2 years ago. This included the installation of an inline extractor fan. The fan stopped working recently. This happens so we had a look in the attic to see if we might be able to replace the fan ourselves. What we discovered prompted us to query the installation.

The ducting has lots of water in it and was undulating up and over our attic joists. The internal grille was 4inch into 6 inch ducting and fan in the attic. The position of the fan we were unsure of. We are total novices but do have some knowledge and I wanted to query what I was seeing. I also wanted to find out the specification and brand of the old fan (there are no markings on it) so as to try replace with a good quality one up to the job. I emailed the company who did the original work and sent photos of what I was querying. All I can get from them is a high cost to replace the fan with no answers to any queries.

I am thinking of buying a Manrose SF150A fan but we have a bigger problem than just the fan.

So I researched flow rates etc for our room size and installation of inline fans. As a result I went outside to check the external vent grille. There is none!! We went back into the attic and followed the ducting to find it just ended open bent down onto insulation very near to the edge of the roof.... Looks from a distance to go out to the outside.

I am astounded. I do not know who to trust or what to do about this.

Sorry for the very long winded account here. I am very frustrated. Can anyone offer advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mumser

Just bumping this to see if I can get some input on this. Any advice is much appreciated.

Please PM me if you prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

How do you know the fan has stopped working? It could be perfectly fine!

It is likely that the water in the ducting has developed into a siphon and closed off the airflow. I've come across this before. The cause of the water in the ducting is condensation because the ducting is uninsulated in a cold attic space.

Carefully empty the water out of the ducting and replace with insulated ducting.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mumser

Thanks for that. That makes sense as it is likely the ducting is full with water where it bends between the joists pre and post the fan.
    I've since found a bigger problem with the ducting and posted pictures about this in the DIY forum. It is not connected to an external vent and was actually facing onto our insulation blocking the exit of moisture and causing the build up of water in the ducting.....

Advertisement