Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can vertical gardens work without an irrigation system?

Options
  • 22-02-2020 2:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Do those vertical gardens (the felt pouches) work without an irrigation system?

I’m looking to find a way to cover some ugly fencing and don’t have the option of growing climbers below (soil is too shallow). There’d obviously be plenty of rain and I’m open to any type of plant - once it’s something that doesn’t require a huge amount of upkeep and eventually fills out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

flogen wrote: »
    Do those vertical gardens (the felt pouches) work without an irrigation system?

I’m looking to find a way to cover some ugly fencing and don’t have the option of growing climbers below (soil is too shallow). There’d obviously be plenty of rain and I’m open to any type of plant - once it’s something that doesn’t require a huge amount of upkeep and eventually fills out.

Prob will need irrigation. Rain won't really get to roots. growing area is very small and can dry up very quickly resulting in wilted plants

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could consider sempervivums, they do not require a lot of water and will grow on minimal soil. I don't know about the vertical felt pouches, I have never used them, but vertical walls never get as much water as you would think they should. I saw some lovely outdoor sempervivums in a garden centre for €2 each today, or you can buy panels of them for flat roofs. If you could create some sort of sloping shelving (check out green roofs to get the idea) you could disguise the fencing, though it would not be absolutely vertical.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

You could try building a trough about 30cm tall and deep, fill it with soil and plant climbers. Far easier to water and will cover the wall in no time!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

looksee wrote: »
    You could consider sempervivums, they do not require a lot of water and will grow on minimal soil. I don't know about the vertical felt pouches, I have never used them, but vertical walls never get as much water as you would think they should. I saw some lovely outdoor sempervivums in a garden centre for €2 each today, or you can buy panels of them for flat roofs. If you could create some sort of sloping shelving (check out green roofs to get the idea) you could disguise the fencing, though it would not be absolutely vertical.

Thanks. Not adverse to building something with a bit of a lean... as long as it doesn't act as a ladder for the dog!

Do sempervivums fill out much? Ideally I'd like something that will eventually grow out to the point that you can't see whatever they're sitting in (or much of the fence behind them)
    finla wrote: »
    You could try building a trough about 30cm tall and deep, fill it with soil and plant climbers. Far easier to water and will cover the wall in no time!

I have a stone border which gives me about 15-20cm of depth but adding to that would mean building another layer of stone slabs on top of that... which I'm trying to avoid... largely out of laziness but also because I don't think it will look as well! May just have to bite the bullet, though.

Advertisement