Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premium Paint Brands

• 30-01-2020 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Are there any premium paint brands that are genuinely a cut above the others. I guess, in terms of really nice hues or finish.

Looking for something contemporary.,and willing to pay a bit extra for main living space walls. I've come across Farrow ad Ball, but most of he photos seem to be with very traditional decor so hard to visualize.

I see colourtrend have a "contemporary" line and a "ceramic matt", but not sure if it translates to some different finish.
    Any other nice brands?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

We got color trend but matched to farrow and ball shades, the colours are spot on for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Farrow & Ball paints are rubbish imo. My advice is pick out a colour from any manufacturer, then get it mixed in a trade paint. There is good reason behind professional painters using these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Ceramic Matt paint is scrubbable. A lot of washable Matt paints apparently don’t wash that well, but I found the colourtrend ceramic Matt great in our hall. I put it in our kitchen last year through, and I’m not happy with it at all. It’s like the steam/condensation when there’s a lot of cooking going on just runs down the walls, and it’s very obvious in certain light. Looks desperate. But I’m not sure if it’s another factor or if the paint just shouldn’t have been used in the kitchen

You need to sort out the condensation in your kitchen. If you have moisture running down the walls, then it's not the paint's fault. If the walls are dry, and you can see this effect coming through, it;s because the paint went on top of this staining when you painted the kitchen.

dok_golf wrote: »
    You need to sort out the condensation in your kitchen. If you have moisture running down the walls, then it's not the paint's fault. If the walls are dry, and you can see this effect coming through, it;s because the paint went on top of this staining when you painted the kitchen.

I couldn’t see it before the kitchen was painted though, so I didn’t bother me like it does now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

jlm29 wrote: »
    Ceramic Matt paint is scrubbable. A lot of washable Matt paints apparently don’t wash that well, but I found the colourtrend ceramic Matt great in our hall. I put it in our kitchen last year through, and I’m not happy with it at all. It’s like the steam/condensation when there’s a lot of cooking going on just runs down the walls, and it’s very obvious in certain light. Looks desperate. But I’m not sure if it’s another factor or if the paint just shouldn’t have been used in the kitchen

Does the ceramic matt have any cosmetic/aesthetic quality, or is it just wash ability?
    I guess I am wondering if any of the more premium paints have any difference in terms of hues, depth etc over another paint in the same colour code...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,898 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

dok_golf wrote: »
    Farrow & Ball paints are rubbish imo. My advice is pick out a colour from any manufacturer, then get it mixed in a trade paint. There is good reason behind professional painters using these.

That is complete tosh, get a sample F&B paint and you'll see the difference vs. the trade paint mix.

ravendude wrote: »
    Does the ceramic matt have any cosmetic/aesthetic quality, or is it just wash ability?
    I guess I am wondering if any of the more premium paints have any difference in terms of hues, depth etc over another paint in the same colour code...

My painter told me they do, but I can’t say I’ve ever gone looking myself!

astrofool wrote: »
    That is complete tosh, get a sample F&B paint and you'll see the difference vs. the trade paint mix.
    I use them every day of my working life. F&B is a name that the gullible buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jimmy698

jlm29 wrote: »

Had you any issues brushing in the ceramic matt. Over brushing seems to cause the paint to clump up and brush off. Is it a tough paint to apply or am I doing something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Colortrend are still just "the paint factory" for me, living in North Kildare for long enough that they weren't seen as super-premium. They've still kept the General Paints Ltd company name which is the poshest they were ever known as.

The stuff is expensive for a reason - better chance of getting away with one coat; better finish; more durable.

They have trade undercoats for more sane prices if you're going from super dark to light; my living room was dark green and orange-yellow with a dado rail and is now a pink tinged off-white with minimal layers.

They actually sell F&B in the store in Celbridge; I presume for people who, having shown they have the cash to go there in the first place, feel like throwing it away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Used colour trend in our house over the last few years. it just goes on beautifully.
    We always use matt, colours don't seem to fade. Dont know how it interacts with kids though.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

ravendude wrote: »

To the best of my knowledge the ceramic matt has acrylic microbeads in the paint making it more durable. It's a very good paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Benjamin Moore is the best emulsion available, but it is very dear if you don't have a trade account. A little bit below that is Colourtrend and Fleetwood's Prestige Acrylic. Anyone who tries to tell you that Farrow and Ball is in the same league as those doesn't know what they are talking about. Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams (who own Fleetwood) are American companies and they are way ahead of the game when it comes to water based paints. Fleetwoods Advanced Acrylic Satinwood is very good. Sherwin Williams also own Purdy brushes and the Fleetwood pro-d range are of a similar quality at a great price.

As to the Colourtrend clumping - most of the good acrylics don't take kindly to overbrushing, but it shouldn't be an issue with their ceramic matt on walls. Just use a good brush when cutting in and don't overbrush.

ETA: for ceilings, if the budget doesn't stretch to Benjamin Moore ceiling paint, Tikkurila Anti-Reflex 2 is the next best.

Advertisement