Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing a SNES on modern TV

• 21-01-2020 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Couple of threads online about this, with many reporting wash out problems with the colours

I'm also conscious of the TV difference between here and the states

So just wondering has anyone here successfully done this? Dug mine out of the attic recently and my eldest playing it with me. It is AMAZING how instinctively after about 20 years I knew what button did what in Mariokart. Burnt onto my brain.

So it has a kind of co-axial output, RF out. I put it into a relatively modern smart TV in the antenna input and managed to tune it in as an analogue signal. Picture is fine but no sound.

There is also another unused output beside it on the SNES.

Would like to just have plug and play capability for any tv around house without tuning as not sure where its going to live.

Tried it on another old telly which had an aerial input and AV choice but it didn't come up (maybe AV is for the SCART connection)

Anyone done it effectively with a wire available online or in Dublin?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cheapest and easiest way is to hook it up via a scart connector if the TV has scart sockets. RF is an absolutely garbage video connector so you will also get a massive improvement in video quality. I'd skip getting AV composite cables as scart is a massive step up from them as just go straight to scart.

Should very easy to source a SNES scart cable online. Just make sure it's SNES as there are differences between a SNES and N64 cable that will cause issues.

Now if you want to really play games on a modern TV we can go down a massive rabbit hole because plugging scart cable into a modern TV still isn't perfect but it's the cheapest option for what you are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

The other output is the SNES composite out consisting of three connectors colored red and white for audio and yellow for video. Easily picked up on adverts for less than a tenner

It’s strange that no sound is coming through on the single wire RF though. There is a ch1-ch2 Switch beside that output try the other one and retune. Maybe try a different cable if that doesn’t work.

For compatibility with modern TVs is could be worth looking at a RAD2x cable which takes the signal and outputs as HDMI. I’ve heard good things from people in the Super Mario Kart community about this.

When I play SMK it’s always on a CRT so my advice would be to try source one and enjoy the game as it was meant to be played. And check out this link if ever you want to test yourself against Mario Kart players around the world

http://www.mariokartplayers.com/smk/

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Now if you want to really play games on a modern TV we can go down a massive rabbit hole because plugging scart cable into a modern TV still isn't perfect but it's the cheapest option for what you are looking for.

And if we are going down a rabbit hole then this is the cable I’m looking to buy in the future.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-HDMI-CABLES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ditch the modern TV, rejoin the CRT master race :pac:

Not sure how much you want to invest, but there's a company called Analogue which have released a console called the 'Super NT'.

It's a great way of playing your Snes games on a modern TV.

https://www.analogue.co/super-nt/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sparks43 wrote: »
    The other output is the SNES composite out consisting of three connectors colored red and white for audio and yellow for video. Easily picked up on adverts for less than a tenner

It’s strange that no sound is coming through on the single wire RF though. There is a ch1-ch2 Switch beside that output try the other one and retune. Maybe try a different cable if that doesn’t work.

For compatibility with modern TVs is could be worth looking at a RAD2x cable which takes the signal and outputs as HDMI. I’ve heard good things from people in the Super Mario Kart community about this.

When I play SMK it’s always on a CRT so my advice would be to try source one and enjoy the game as it was meant to be played. And check out this link if ever you want to test yourself against Mario Kart players around the world

http://www.mariokartplayers.com/smk/

I would totally recommend against the composite cable as the video quality is terrible and rgb scart cables are about the same price and is a far superior for image quality.

The RAD2x cable as mentioned here does look like a good option as well and is future proofed as composite and scart connectors are being phased out on TVs for hdmi.

• Advertisement

I would totally recommend against the composite cable as the video quality is terrible and rgb scart cables are about the same price and is a far superior for image quality.

The RAD2x cable as mentioned here does look like a good option as well and is future proofed as composite and scart connectors are being phased out on TVs for hdmi.

Wasn’t thinking of the rgb scart cable. But yes that’s the one to go for

I can’t use them myself as I split my signal off into a capture card so I can have videos of my records and also for streaming.

Some examples

My GV1 recent record. Lost about 0.12 on last corner. But still 27th in the world

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-keWcbNyBLg

And a video of my latest MC1 lap record
    26th in the world

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXNmsooE3U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

To be honest I'm kind of seeing this in the house at the moment - one smart TV has a scart connection, one does not

50 sterling pretty steep for the RAD2x cable but it may be the best option

Best make sure the N64 is actually working too to justify the purchase

Thanks for all suggestions, looking forward to watching (and beating) those Mariokart laps once not in work ;)

If you can get anywhere close to those laps then you should definitely have a go at trying to dethrone me from my Irish title.

Any lap under 13 seconds on MC1 is extremely decent starting off.

That lap was 11.58

On GV1 anything under 14.50 should be your target

My Lap was 12.26

But enjoy the game and hopefully we meet up for a few races in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Sparks43 wrote: »
    If you can get anywhere close to those laps then you should definitely have a go at trying to dethrone me from my Irish title.

Just watched the videos - not a hope! It looks like a computer is playing them!

I always thought toad and the other fella (koopa is it) were the fastest?

a148pro wrote: »
    Just watched the videos - not a hope! It looks like a computer is playing them!

I always thought toad and the other fella (koopa is it) were the fastest?

They have the fastest acceleration but the slowest top speed.

The heavyweights DK and Bowser accelerate very slowly but when up to speed handle very well and are the fastest.

I’m off to Paris on Friday for a SMK competition and everyone in the Racing modes will use the big guys

In Battle I use either Peach or Yoshi but some others will use Koopa or Toad.

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »
    To be honest I'm kind of seeing this in the house at the moment - one smart TV has a scart connection, one does not

50 sterling pretty steep for the RAD2x cable but it may be the best option

Best make sure the N64 is actually working too to justify the purchase

Thanks for all suggestions, looking forward to watching (and beating) those Mariokart laps once not in work ;)

N64 won't work with a RGB scart cable. Basically the N64 is a piece of ****. It has all the connections to take RGB scart but out of the box it can't use it. You need a specially modified Japanese or US N64 to take Scart. As for a European N64 there's no way to even modify the machine to take scart. Best you can get for that is either composite (which is ****e) or a special modified s-video cable from the likes of consolegoods or ebay. s-video will give a signal almost as good as RGB. The issue with s-video is that it's even harder to find a TV that supports s-video these days.

Basically just get a composite cable for the N64. The graphics look awful on that system anyway :) For SNES RGB scart is highly recommended because it just looks stunning compared to composite.

Advertisement