Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for Grandaunt

Options
  • 23-06-2015 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, hope this is in the right section.
    anyone know of the Nyhan Family, who may have had a son David who married Annie Gleeson from Tipperary in approx. 1896. I think I have traced them on the 1901 Census form to Dunbar Street, Cork City. (he was 26yrs and she 32yrs then), any relatives who may know anything about them please contact me. Any info greatly appreciated. Carmel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

possible marriage from the BMD Index :

Name : David Nyhan
    Qtr/Year/ : Jan-Mar 1896
    Reg. District : Nenagh
    Volume : 4 / Page : 444

one of the entries with the same references (i.e. same register page) is an 'Anne Gleeson', so a possible cross-match

a research cert from the GRO would show you the details - e.g. date and place of marriage, places of residence for the bride and groom, father's names and occupations, names of witnesses etc..

I think possibly Anne died 1907 (Cork/ Oct-Dec 1907 / v5 p107), and David remarried a Margaret Coveney Wool the next year (Cork / Oct-Dec 1908 / v5 p95 )

possible children to David and Margaret, all Cork district

John 26 November 1909
    Ellen 22 April 1911
    William 29 August 1913

keep a note of this baptism, I think it's a fairly good possibility for David... based on the names of his children :

Bapt. of David Nyhan 18 April 1875, Dunmanway (RC)
    parents John Nyhan and Ellen Farrell

The father's name and occupation from David's marriage cert should help confirm or rule it out - a cert for the possible second marriage would also confirm or rule that out. In addition it would show his status as widower if that is the correct death for Anne

p.s. the John born 1909 appears to have died v. young

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Carmel321

Shanew:- thank you for all that info. some of it is the opposite to what verbal info I have from my side of the family. i.e that David died a while after marriage and anne died in 1925: - haven't seen anything written in stone yet. I have a copy of the marriage cert from Nenagh.

Any Nyhans out there who might recall any info.
    Carmel

• Advertisement

I didn't spot any likely children to David and Anne on the GRO BMD Index, but this only includes mother's maiden surname fro about 1900.so there could have been children between 1896 and 1900.

I dont see a likely death for David ...

Have you found David and/or Annie in 1911 ?
    The only possibility I found was a David with a similar occupation, abt 2 years married to a Margaret

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Carmel321

No couldn't find either on 1911 Census. Assuming the ones I found on 1901 census are the correct ones. In fact we were given the name O'Hanlon or Hanlon. However couldn't find a reference to a marriage of Annie/anne to an O'Hanlon.
    the Nyhan marriage record I have has date of marriage Sunday 3rd FEb 1895. It shows her fathers name as john Gleeson, Schoolteacher(which he was) but according to our records he had died the September before -(1894). I assume they wouldn't put his name on the marriage cert if he was dead, is that correct?

I don't really know where to search as one wrong names leads down a different path each time.

thanks for your input.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Carmel321 wrote: »
    I assume they wouldn't put his name on the marriage cert if he was dead, is that correct?

Not so Carmel. I have a number of marriage records that include fathers name even though he may be deceased. Some of them have dec written beside the fathers name but it isn't always inserted.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think that Anne Nyhan death is worth following up - eliminating if nothing else. It's not a common surname, although it's the type of name that could have variations. The approx. age and location fits on that Index, and I couldn't find any other likely matches on the 1901 census to account for the death.

The informant on the cert might be her husband, and the address/place of death may help rule in or out also..

Advertisement