Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tracing your family tree

Options
  • 20-01-2012 9:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

hey folks, if i wanted to trace my family history for free or as cheap as possible where could i do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Moved thread into Genealogy from History&Heritage as you will get a better response in the sub-forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The cheapest way to do it is by doing all the donkey work yourself, but I wouldn't call it cheap. You'll likely find your ancestors on the census easily enough but to progress you will need to spend some money on civil records. Have a read of our sticky at the top of the forum and feel free to ask us questions. We've lots of knowledgable people on the board and hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

After you read the sticky, your first step is to talk to the oldest people in your family and get all the information you can for free. Also check what civil records your family already has (i.e. your parents will have a marriage cert and may have death certificates of grandparnets, etc).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

sorry folks but where do i find the sticky?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

folks,

starting off, what would be my best port of call, on the side of the family i am looking to trace none of my grandparents are alive and my dad only knows the names of his grandparents and that is it. my family home would have been the original family home of his grandparents (my great grandparents) where should i go from here?

many thanks:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

folks,

starting off, what would be my best port of call, on the side of the family i am looking to trace none of my grandparents are alive and my dad only knows the names of his grandparents and that is it. my family home would have been the original family home of his grandparents (my great grandparents) where should i go from here?

many thanks:confused:

I would imagine the 1901 and 1911 censuses. Its all free online. Once you have exhausted that resource. The sticky already mentioned is invaluable http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056388162

Advertisement