Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watch Repair

• 25-02-2020 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi Sorry if this has been asked before but i couldn't find a thread. I have a tag 1887 chronograph and while rushing the other day I hit it pretty hard while on my wrist against a wooden radiator cover I was sure the glass had cracked but was relieved to see no damage.

However few days later I noticed if was stopping but was fine once wound manually I have now discovered by looking through the display that the rotor is dislodged and not moving.

Does anyone know if this is a big job I'm presuming not and would you recommend getting tag to do it or if not necessary can anyone recommend someone.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

They will likely insist on full service rather than just reattaching.

No idea of price but I would assume no change from 500 from TAG. Maybe more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I had a TAG Carrera bought second hand. Looked in fine condition but I was going to get her serviced anyway. Just a couple of days before I was going to bring her in she just stopped.

Expected the worst but turned out she must have gotten a smack and a spacer inside broke. Was replaced as part of the service and she's running smoothly ever since. Service was local and cost me 230. That was 3 months ago, I can give you details per PM.

Of course there is no guarantee its the same issue with yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I have my Tag in with Dawson Jewellers on a recommendation. The are old school and service is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

I had to bring my Tag Carrera to get fixed as the rotor at the back fell off. I took it to one of the big jewellery stores who happily informed me that it would need to go back to Tag to get fixed and it would need to be survived too. It cost me €600 and took 3 months to get it back. It's like a new watch

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

Thanks for taking the time to post will check out some of the recommendations. €600 with tag seems a lot but I think its overdue a service anyway so may need to pay.

• Advertisement

There are great services and repairs available through eBay these days

Look for ones with very high feedback over hundreds of cases

Message them for specific details

And very good value compared to dropping it into a Jewelers who mostly just take a cut of the fee and send it off somewhere else

You send your watch off by registered post and get back by same.

glasso wrote: »

You send your watch off by registered post and get back by same.

With no insurance cover.

893bet wrote: »
    With no insurance cover.

Buy it extra if you want.

I'm not stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

I just paid 450 sterling to TAG in Manchester to service and repair my 20 tear old watch. Took 6 weeks. Didn't need a uk address. They deal with ireland.

I just paid 450 sterling to TAG in Manchester to service and repair my 20 tear old watch. Took 6 weeks. Didn't need a uk address. They deal with ireland.

Was that watch even worth 450 Sterling?

Serious question

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Shots fired :D

It's a valid question in this case imo

There are plenty of working genuine tags that you could pick up second hand same price or cheaper

Buy it extra if you want.

I'm not stopping you.

Next to impossible to get as an individual in Ireland.

Next to impossible to get as an individual in Ireland.

Have you ever bought anything relatively valuable online then? Eg a phone. Camera?

It's similar to the same consideration as in many cases you would not be covered.

Using registered post or a courier is pretty safe unless you know someone who had stuff stolen in a case like this.

How does a jeweler send a watch somewhere? Probably by post.

Have you ever bought anything relatively valuable online then? Eg a phone. Camera?

It's similar to the same consideration as in many cases you would not be covered.

Using registered post or a courier is pretty safe unless you know someone who had stuff stolen in a case like this.

How does a jeweler send a watch somewhere? Probably by post.

If you buy online then the onus is on the seller to provide cover. It’s not your risk (unless you have paid via bank transfer and have no recourse if there is an issue).

Jewellers are in trade and will be able to get trade cover not available to individuals. Much more difficult for someone private.

If you buy online then the onus is on the seller to provide cover. It’s not your risk (unless you have paid via bank transfer and have no recourse if there is an issue).

Jewellers are in trade and will be able to get trade cover not available to individuals. Much more difficult for someone private.

Yes you have recourse if sold by Amazon or similar but with some sellers you could have a messy charge back situation going on.

Well it's no different to sending abroad to an official repair centre certainly as you have to send it to them first!

But personally have never heard of anything going missing with signed for mail services. Have you? Not saying that it has never happened as I'm sure that it did.

Jewellers get insurance from dhl as they are in the trade

That being said I’ve sent plenty of watches abroad with an post track and trace registered post and never had a problem, if the watch is worth a few grand I would go to Northern Ireland or the U.K. and use Royal Mail

What are you gaining by going to ni to use royal mail?

Just by cutting out an post to UK?

Watches and jewellery are covered with their insurance

Up to 2.5k only I believe.

If the watch is worth 2.6k it’s important to note there is no cover i.e you are not covered up to the 2.5k limit.

Yes you have recourse if sold by Amazon or similar but with some sellers you could have a messy charge back situation going on.

Well it's no different to sending abroad to an official repair centre certainly as you have to send it to them first!

But personally have never heard of anything going missing with signed for mail services. Have you? Not saying that it has never happened as I'm sure that it did.

Parcels go missing all the time, get delayed, get misplaced etc. Being signed for is extra control. But not a guarantee.

Are watches/jewellery on the prohibited item list for an post if I recall?

Parcels go missing all the time, get delayed, get misplaced etc. Being signed for is extra control. But not a guarantee.

Are watches/jewellery on the prohibited item list for an post if I recall?

yes I agree that there is some risk.

maybe sending it without the strap/bracelet is more secure?

• Advertisement

Up to 2.5k only I believe.

If the watch is worth 2.6k it’s important to note there is no cover i.e you are not covered up to the 2.5k limit.

how do you prove that it's worth exactly 2.5k?!

how do you prove that it's worth exactly 2.5k?!

Not sure. I am sure it would get complicated unless you had a valuation from a jeweller or similar dated within the last few years.

I have an account with an insurance company in the U.K. that provide extra cover when used with royal mail

That’s handy. And needed give the amount of watches you post.

Going back to Tag - never realised that they made plastic-cased watches - yuck.

https://www.chrono24.com/tagheuer/professional-384513-greenred-35mm-silicone-quartz-200m-wrist-watch--id13159520.htm

you can even get a Tag chronograph for £450

Personally I've always found the base tag quartz watches utterly repellent.

a couple of the Carreras and others (like the link calibre 18 below) that have appeared over their history are decent but it's a very conflicted brand.

Tag-Heuer-Link.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,714 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So you don't really like Tags then? :p

unkel wrote: »
    So you don't really like Tags then? :p

not really.

the really gaudy sh1t ones ruin the brand as a proposition imo. and obviously brand is a consideration in watches. I like Omegas for example, but I do recognise that Rolex has a better brand (even if they engage in silly sales practices etc.).

this guy explains this part . (as well as earlier describing how Tag took over Heuer etc beforehand)

https://youtu.be/Axb_IZMaFLE?t=418

Quote -> "Tag Heuers of the 90's and 2000's were equal quality to a fossil watch"

you can't have plastic retainers used inside a "luxury" watch to hold things in place - that's what you expect in a 10 dollar casio.

what are your thoughts on the subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Was that watch even worth 450 Sterling?

Serious question

Didnt even consider that before I sent it. Wanted it fixed - would have cost more to buy a new one. Was happy with the quote. Just had a quick look around though now and I see second hand versions of the same watch for 750- 850stg.

Advertisement