Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tapping noise on bathroom ceiling when water drains

• 24-02-2020 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

This one is driving me crazy, every time the water drains on my bathroom (for example if I empty the bathtub or I empty the sink) there's a tapping noise coming from the ceiling of the bathroom (attic), that happens to be on the back corner of our 2 story house.

I went to the attic to see where the sound is coming from and I saw a big black pipe going down (is this some sort of drain pipe?) and the noise seems to come from inside it, but I'm not 100% sure.

You can hear the sound here, at the end of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m0TU6lXiBg

Any help would be welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭fido_dido

I have a similar problem coming in my house. I keep hearing the tapping noise from the ceiling as well. When I checked the attic I couldn't hear anything there. @amargar, Were you able to figure out the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I am not able to watch the video but it sounds like you have a water hammer, but not haven't heard the vid can't be sure.

Google the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭fido_dido

For me its really loud. Couldn't upload the video there to show. Had to zip it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Interesting as you say the noise is only there when draining sink or bath to drain.

Is the immersion or tank still filling at the time of pulling the plug.

My pipes have changed flow for waste into an outside wall gully which also takes water from the gutters.

How big is the black feed pipe you are talking off and is it connected to water tank in attic.

The only drain pipe for me up there is for cold water and if float fails it lands on extension roof.

Most pipes up there for me are copper for feeding taps , immersion , etc

Where the outside pipe drains i would be checking fasteners to make sure its not loose and hitting something nearby.

Looked up water hammer and is more with pressure feeds and not drains.

Advertisement