Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New fridge says not to use extension cable, but I have no choice. What should I do?

• 22-02-2020 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Cord is too short on the new fridge/freezer. Doesn't reach to the nearest socket.

The manual says not to use an extension cable. But I can't see any other way of powering it.

Electric info from the manual: The mains lead for this appliance has been fitted with a BS 1363A 13A fused plug

Info on the extension cable: "13 A 250V BS1363/A. Total load must not exceed 13A"

It seems they match up. Will my fridge explode or will I be fine?

Nothing else will be plugged into the extension lead. This is for the fridge only. Length of the lead is about a meter.

Comments

It won't explode... the reason for the instruction is because of potential voltage drop over a 'long' run affecting electrical components - Can't really say what a 'long' run would be classed as but I can't think a meter extra would be a problem.

There are the other usual caveats - make sure it's suitably rated, can't get wet, can't get trapped/pinched and can be easily accessible. Just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

I’ve a 6 foot high fridge freezer on an Ext for 10 years. Your is obviously not the same but if you choose a high end Ext chord I can’t see a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

Cord is too short on the new fridge/freezer. Doesn't reach to the nearest socket.

The manual says not to use an extension cable. But I can't see any other way of powering it.

Electric info from the manual: The mains lead for this appliance has been fitted with a BS 1363A 13A fused plug

Info on the extension cable: "13 A 250V BS1363/A. Total load must not exceed 13A"

It seems they match up. Will my fridge explode or will I be fine?

Nothing else will be plugged into the extension lead. This is for the fridge only. Length of the lead is about a meter.

Many extension leads don't have correct rating for powering heavy drain items. Any coiled type extension leads have a power rating on them for when they are completely uncoiled and coiled. I wouldn't use a long extension lead for a fridge / freezer - if you're only using a short -<3m lead you might be ok - but do not use a long rolled up one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Deagol wrote: »
    Many extension leads don't have correct rating for powering heavy drain items. Any coiled type extension leads have a power rating on them for when they are completely uncoiled and coiled. I wouldn't use a long extension lead for a fridge / freezer - if you're only using a short -<3m lead you might be ok - but do not use a long rolled up one!

This is all correct. I have an extension lead on a roll to supply low power gadgets, it's rated at 2A when the flex is on the roll and 3A when the cable is fully unwound.

But none of the above applies to the OP's setup because (1) the OP's extension lead is only 1m long (2) it's rated for the full 13A and (3) he won't be using it to power any other appliance.

OP, you're good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

coylemj wrote: »
    This is all correct. I have an extension lead on a roll to supply low power gadgets, it's rated at 2A when the flex is on the roll and 3A when the cable is fully unwound.

But none of the above applies to the OP's setup because (1) the OP's extension lead is only 1m long (2) it's rated for the full 13A and (3) he won't be using it to power any other appliance.

OP, you're good to go.

My bad - reading too quickly :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

If the rating is good, try and have it so the extension isn't on the floor, then if there is an issue and the fridge leaks, its not getting saturated (but this is probably unlikely as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Modern Fridge freezers use very little power.

... when running. The power draw when starting can be significantly higher and that's where the concerns about voltage drop come in.

Advertisement