Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seiko Coutura Solar

• 17-02-2020 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭

Bought a seiko coutura solar a few years back off ebay usa.

From the off it stops unless left in very strong light.

Sent it to seiko Ireland and they sent it back working .. but a few days later it stopped again.

Should I bother with it or write it off ?

Heres a pic ( the watch looks better than this pic! )
    503085.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Needs a capacitor or rechargable battery or whatever holds the charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Sent it to seiko Ireland and they sent it back working .. but a few days later it stopped again.

I presume you paid for that repair? If so, it comes with an implied warranty. Send it back to them, they should fix it free of charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

unkel wrote: »
    I presume you paid for that repair? If so, it comes with an implied warranty. Send it back to them, they should fix it free of charge.

No it was free of charge though I had to pay for posting

Most likely they stuck it under a light, it worked so they sent it back.

Its possible that it's just empty and needs a really good charge.
    However more likely the battery will no longer hold a charge and needs replacing.

Start off by pulling the crown (to stop the movement) and leave near a window that gets the sun. On a sill, or dresser/shelf etc. Try to face it south and angle up a tiny bit. Leave it for a week like that, just forget about it.

That may not work, the battery is probably kaput. But it costs nothing to try and charge it first.

Start off by pulling the crown (to stop the movement) and leave near a window that gets the sun. On a sill, or dresser/shelf etc. Try to face it south and angle up a tiny bit. Leave it for a week like that, just forget about it.

Tried this already .. worked for a few days then stopped again.

Just bin it ?

• Advertisement

Tried this already .. worked for a few days then stopped again.

Just bin it ?
    If it cannot hold/take a charge then likely the battery needs replacing. It's something I would have expected the Seiko service centre to do or suggest.

To do it yourself would cost maybe €10-25. The Seikos often use a dirt cheap (€5) button cell with little tabs welded on, so unless you're very handy you can't just buy the bare cell, you have to get it from Seiko at an inflated cost.

If the watch has no value to you or it's not worth putting money into it, i'd give it away. I wouldn't bin something that can potentially be repaired, that's not particularly responsible.

If it cannot hold/take a charge then likely the battery needs replacing. It's something I would have expected the Seiko service centre to do or suggest.

To do it yourself would cost maybe €10-25. The Seikos often use a dirt cheap (€5) button cell with little tabs welded on, so unless you're very handy you can't just buy the bare cell, you have to get it from Seiko at an inflated cost.

If the watch has no value to you or it's not worth putting money into it, i'd give it away. I wouldn't bin something that can potentially be repaired, that's not particularly responsible.

Oh you can buy these rechargeable batteries ? Anyone know where

PS Bin it .. was short for give it away or recycle

Oh you can buy these rechargeable batteries ? Anyone know where

PS Bin it .. was short for give it away or recycle
    Find the caliber #. It will be on the caseback.

img_instructions_01.png

From there you'd use google to find the battery type (you can also just open it up and have a look!), and then find a supplier.

It's usually no more difficult than changing a regular battery. If you're unlucky it might be more involved but that's fairly rare with Seiko solars.

i wonder could you put a standard 2 year battery in and hope the recharge circuitry doesnt affect it ?

i wonder could you put a standard 2 year battery in and hope the recharge circuitry doesnt affect it ?
    Many solar G-Shock owners have done this. They mostly use a CTL1616F which has same dimensions as CR1616. It's a dirty fix but works. The output of the solar panel is not really enough to do any harm to a primary cell.

However your Seiko may use a tabbed battery. See the tabs which are spot-welded to it:

752538.jpg

So just putting an equivalent CR will not work. That's why I say you'd need to be handy. Some hobbyists are capable of peeling off the old tabs and welding them to an off-the-shelf MT920 or CR920.

Find out what cell you need first, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement