Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doctors secretary questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Having worked as a receptionist in a doctors office the questions do sound pretty standard. The thing you have to remember everyone who rings thinks their situation is different/urgent/important etc etc and while it will be true some need to be seen, many don't need an urgent same day appointment and the staff at the practice have to do some triage otherwise they'd could be overwhelmed. they ask for details as they will have limited training on what should be seen by GP today, what can wait and what should go straight to an emergency room. I'm sorry you were made to feel uncomfortable but try not to take it personal, they could have had dozens of calls that day already looking for appointments and are just trying to do their job.

I had some amount of abuse from people ringing when I told them there wasn't any appointments that day, they'd demand to speak to the doctor whose run off their feet and tells them exactly the same thing I did. I had one woman come in after being told we were slammed, her case wasn't urgent but she wanted to see the doctor, was really abusive then the doctor arrived out and she was all smiles. Doctor told her no appointment that day and she waited till he left to start yelling abuse again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PerryMason2020

I know she could probably find out whatever it was for anyway but patient confidentiality, or even maintaining the illusion thereof ought be quite important for Doctor’s practices.

I work as a legal secretary. I know absolutely everything about a client's file. Everything! It enables me to do my job, and yes, I am as bound by client confidentiality as the solicitor. Client confidentiality isn't just between the "professional" and the patient/client - it extends to the whole practice.

OP, for what it's worth, many people feel like you do. Sometimes we have to ask you questions that might feel like we're overly prying, but we're not. We are, as another poster said, the voice of the GP/Solicitor etc. The questions we ask are their questions. It's part and parcel of the work we do.

Given your circumstances, OP, you might be feeling a bit overly sensitive and perhaps her questioning rankled more than it might normally have? Please don't try to take it personally, she's not being nosy - trust me, she most likely doesn't care in the slightest, she's just trying to do her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

They aren't professionals in any meaningful sense of the word.

What do you mean? You would be surprised the number of secretaries who are now educated to degree and even masters level. Even if they're not their work requires them to act in a professional manner (just like anyone who has a job) because they are usually the first point of contact with the public.

It takes all kinds of workers to run the world. If those without "professional" qualifications stopped doing their jobs you would feel the adverse effects of that very quickly.

Back to the OP. Not all GP practices can afford to have a nurse on hand to ask health related personal information. Practice nurses are run off their feet as well. Any information requested by the secretary will be needed by the GP. The GP, who has gone through 7 or more years of medical school, will have told the secretary what questions to ask. Any information given to medical secretaries or any other staff in the GP surgery will be strictly confidential.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sallysue2

Mod, can you please lock this thread.

On reflection in the cold light of day, I am looking at timings differently. Maybe I am little sensitive right now, and I'm ok with that. I've been through a lot. I still think that maybe they should reduce the way secretaries question people, especially for people with mental health issues. I would hate for someone who was suffering a crises to be put off seeking medical help as they didn't want to discuss it with a secretary. I know from my own perspective that Its hard enough talk about it once, without having to talk about it several times and that is a point I am going to make with my gp. I am fortunate enough to have a free telephone counselling service with work so I spoke to them this morning so I am feeling a bit better. I will discuss my mental health with my gp next week. This stress is not good for my precious baby.

Again, many thanks to everyone who replied. I have read them all and it is very much appreciated.

Hope everyone has a lovely day ♥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

I have to say OP, I think that you are being completely unreasonable.

I was in a very similar situation a week ago, I had no appointment with my preferred GP, and wanted very much to be seen as quickly as possible. The lady at the front desk asked me to describe what was wrong, and I went into detail, thinking that the more detail I give, the more chance that they will be able to slip me in somewhere. It is usually a very busy practice.

If I had taken the line with her that 'it was urgent' and kept my symptoms vague, then I would have fully expected them to offer me something the next day, etc, and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Mod note:

I'll lock this thread now as per the OPs request.

OP, genuinely wishing you all the best with your pregnancy and hope you feel better soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement