Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Easter Monday

• 20-04-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭

Only scanned the cards, but I am surprised that Mossey Joe will be taking part in a fairly low grade hunter chase in Cork tomorrow. Price will probably be far too short to make it worthwhile getting involved in, but I will definitely be watching.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 geddylee

Getting ready for punchestown...poor Barry Connell,there should be a thread for how much money he has wasted,eh, I mean "invested" in horse racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Mossey joe 4/7 on betfair.

Going with Tammy's Hill in the national, the old man is putting "a week's pension" on it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Only scanned the cards, but I am surprised that Mossey Joe will be taking part in a fairly low grade hunter chase in Cork tomorrow. Price will probably be far too short to make it worthwhile getting involved in, but I will definitely be watching.

Sporting life projected sp is 4/5.....doubt we'll see anything near that. There is nothing in the race at all, bar Nevskij.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Sporting life projected sp is 4/5.....doubt we'll see anything near that. There is nothing in the race at all, bar Nevskij.
    Another high profile purchase of Barry goes tomorrow.Stowaway Shark, hope he turns out a better buy than his stable mate Old Kilcash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Thousand Stars
    Thousand Stars
    Thousand Stars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

Really looking forward to seeing how Kitten Rock gets on in the opener. Looked a really nice type on his first two starts in this country, albeit beating very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Very much like Gerdago for the 2.45. Would have been closer at Cheltenham but for a mistake at the last. Still only beaten 6 lengths.
    Mullaghanoe River is my fancy for the national. A very decent novice this season. Think this step up in trip and first time blinkers will help.
    Meade's Sunrae Shadow should go close in the bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Anyone know why noel fehily is riding Clarcam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Backed Kiwi Bay at 8/1 in 3.55 at Redcar. Still looks plausibly handicapped on best historic form, yard in good form, won well on seasonal debut when recording 5th career success over today's course and distance. Looks like a competitive race for the grade but I think he should be in the shake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

6:05 Fairyhouse

I’m going with the outsider of the field here in Becauseicouldntsee. He ran well last time out here over a longer trip on very soft ground and I’m hopeful his shorter trip on better ground might give him a better chance here. He is also blinkered for the first time and looks overpriced at 33/1 of this mark. He has a few runs this year that would put him in with a shout of placing at least

1 Point EW 33/1 Becauseicouldntsee Generally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

aidankkk wrote: »
    6:05 Fairyhouse

I’m going with the outsider of the field here in Becauseicouldntsee. He ran well last time out here over a longer trip on very soft ground and I’m hopeful his shorter trip on better ground might give him a better chance here. He is also blinkered for the first time and looks overpriced at 33/1 of this mark. He has a few runs this year that would put him in with a shout of placing at least

1 Point EW 33/1 Becauseicouldntsee Generally

Was blinkered for the first time last time Aidan. Could see him run well at a big price though.

6.05 Fairyhouse

Dushrembrandt 11/1

I think Dushrembrandt will either bolt up or absolutely flop but I think an opening handicap mark of 108 could prove very lenient for this dual Point To Point winning half brother to Gold Cup runner up Sir Rembrandt with this 8 year old's chasing mark a full 16lb below his mark over hurdles. Although both Point to Point victories back in 2012 were average affairs, he showed some really decent form over hurdles and his mark of 125 looks fully justified with a hurdling debut win over Love Rory and a runner up berth behind (the albeit easy winner) Road To Riches in a Grade 3 Novice event the highlights in 4 runs over hurdles to date. Although his 3 chasing starts to date on bottomless ground have resulted in heavy defeats, I thought he travelled well for a long way on his last two starts (was a well backed favourite on his final start) before blowing up and finishing under a considerate Philip Enright and I think the switch to handicap company and the return of better ground (which Tyner said brings out the best in him) could see a much improved performance from this unexposed 8 year old. Pitched into this competitive handicap chase, Dushrembrandt has a lovely racing weight to carry of just 10-3 and although he clearly needs to finish off his race much better today but if he does a mark of 108 could prove a vast underestimation of his ability and it's certainly looks notable that he's pitched into a valuable contest in a big field on his first handicap start.

I also like the look of 4.45 Yarmouth Ana Shababiya 5/1 who ran a fine race off this mark when 3rd at Leicester on her seasonal reappearance and if building on that effort I'm confident of a win today in what could be a good season for the filly with William Buick taking over in the saddle.

5.05 Redcar Broctune Papa Gio 8/1 loves it at Redcar with 4 wins and 4 places at the course and off a mark of 68 and on ideal quick ground I think he should go really well for the Keith Reveley yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Wouldn't touch Mossey Joe with that jockey aboard. Nevskij each way looks a bet to nothing.

Wouldn't touch Mossey Joe with that jockey aboard. Nevskij each way looks a bet to nothing.

Yeah he certainly isn't a betting proposition with a inexperienced jockey on board, over his absolute minimum trip on ground with ease in it and he had a hard race in Aintree.

That said, I fully expect him to win and if he doesn't it'll be down to the above factors as opposed to being beaten by a better horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,459 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Kitten Rock 2.45
    Gerdago 2.45
    Clarcam 2.45

Thousand Stars 3.15
    Kiwi Bay 3.55
    Stowaway Shark 4.20
    Ana Shababiya 4.45

Tammy's Hill 5.00
    Mullaghanoe River 5.00

Broctune Papa Gio 5.05
    Mossey Joe 5.15 Cork

Becauseicouldntsee 6.05
    Dushrembrandt 6.05

Sunrae Shadow 6.35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Mullanaghoe river for a small ew for me. Usually a big priced outsider from a small yard that gets the national each year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Would anyone give lindenhurst a shot in the first fairyhouse race?

He had a long absence in Cheltenham and was hindered.likes the ground, and was competivery against Guitar Pete in three races earlier in the year. I would love to see clarcam do it, but, he has been to both Cheltenham n Aintree.

Lindenhurst however is 11-4 and only ever ran at 11-1. While clarcam is 11-0.

Not a bit harsh to not give Russell a shot on clarcam? Of course clarcam has experience of fairyhouse

Any views? Or is clarcam a "good thing"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Moyes not to be at Utd by end of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

finding it hard to see past clarcam if that last race hasnt left its mark

form way ahead of anything else here surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

sonnky wrote: »
    Really looking forward to seeing how Kitten Rock gets on in the opener. Looked a really nice type on his first two starts in this country, albeit beating very little.

Almost got up, he'll improve for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 razzledazz

Got told in the pub last night Daring Article expected to run a good race in the Grand National.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Nice to see the old boy win that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Well said by Ted Walsh there. A shocking race to run before the Irish National.

My two against the field in the Irish National are Touch The Eden 11/1 & Mullaghanoe River 25/1

Does Gigginstown still make an offer to buy the winner of that bumper?

Jesus the fashion segment , loosing the will to live with RTE 2

The state of that jacket and the state of Rosanna Davidson, she looks pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Your wan looked like she was wearing C3PO as a jacket there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Used to be a 200k offer but not sure if it's still the case

I've a feeling O'Leary is wasting his time in any case seeing who owned it!

Used to be a 200k offer but not sure if it's still the case

I've a feeling O'Leary is wasting his time in any case seeing who owned it!

ok, didn't see it's one of JP's horses, better chance of buying Australia out of Coolmore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Talked myself out of a big bet on Operating there. Bulling

Poor Barry Geraghty, photo bombed by not just the Taoiseach (who has to be there) but Mairead McGuinnes on campaign mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Talked myself out of a big bet on Operating there. Bulling

Likewise.
    Had small each way on kashline instead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Are all bookies still paying 5 places? Have betted with Ladbrokes going last this morning hopefully they will pay top 5 each way.

few quid e/w on Alfie Sherrin just for pigiron, looks to have had his handicap mark well protected for today.

Disappointed but can't say I'm utterly shocked about Mossey Joe getting beaten. Was a stupid decision to run him 18 days after what was clearly a very hard race at Aintree (which they admitted was a rush job) over a bare minimum of 2m4f.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

rossom wrote: »
    Disappointed but can't say I'm utterly shocked about Mossey Joe getting beaten. Was a stupid decision to run him 18 days after what was clearly a very hard race at Aintree (which they admitted was a rush job) over a bare minimum of 2m4f.

A recent run at Cheltenham did not stop Shutthefrontdoor winning the national;)

Maybe Mossey is a bit over hyped?

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    A recent run at Cheltenham did not stop Shutthefrontdoor winning the national;)

Maybe Mossey is a bit over hyped?

Shutthefrontdoor didn't go back into training in February at the age of 11! Plus Mossey ran 18 days ago whilst Shutthefrontdoor ran 41 day ago so you can't make that comparison.

Definitely not overhyped. His age may be catching up to him but he's not an overhyped horse as he was an utter machine last year.

Don't write him off yet. If he's disappointing in the Champion Hunter Chase at Stratford then you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

That commentator on RTE needs to be given a yellow piece of paper....how many years have we listened to his monotone voicing over poor Dessie's S's more exciting (not so mind blowing) commentary..seriously though, the lad sounds like He's reading the Irish times classified section tucking into a packet of jersey creams...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

Shutthefrontdoor didn't go back into training in February at the age of 11! Plus Mossey ran 18 days ago whilst Shutthefrontdoor ran 41 day ago so you can't make that comparison.

Definitely not overhyped. His age may be catching up to him but he's not an overhyped horse as he was an utter machine last year.

Don't write him off yet. If he's disappointing in the Champion Hunter Chase at Stratford then you can.

In fairness, he only just scraped home in the same race last year, albeit on much softer ground and against arguably a better field so that may offer some hope for connections. And obviously the horse has been badly messed around over the last 9 months. Can be no excuses next time out, whether at Punchestown or Stratford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

ste2010 wrote: »
    That commentator on RTE needs to be given a yellow piece of paper....how many years have we listened to his monotone voicing over poor Dessie's S's more exciting (not so mind blowing) commentary..seriously though, the lad sounds like He's reading the Irish times classified section tucking into a packet of jersey creams...

He seems like someone not in love with the job.

• Advertisement

I don't buy that. Horse won this race last year after a similarish lay off. The pace of this race was nothing special and neither was the opposition.

I think the whole thing is starting to smell a bit. First there was the fiasco with his sale, then there were the entries for big races which the horse was pulled from, now today the horse was well beaten in what has to be the lowest grade race it could take part in. To me, it seems like the horse has simply declined a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭mulbot

i'm fairly sure it's the point bumper race at the punchestown festival they make the offer

I don't buy that. Horse won this race last year after a similarish lay off. The pace of this race was nothing special and neither was the opposition.

I think the whole thing is starting to smell a bit. First there was the fiasco with his sale, then there were the entries for big races which the horse was pulled from, now today the horse was well beaten in what has to be the lowest grade race it could take part in. To me, it seems like the horse has simply declined a bit.

He could well be but I don't think you can categorically say that just yet. The reason why he was withdrawn from the big races is that they couldn't get him properly fit in time having gone back into training only in February.

It was a reckless decision to run him 18 days after a hard race at Aintree after making a trip back and forth over the Irish Sea (former trainer Declan McNamara said he lost a fair bit of weight on the travel to Stratford last year) and over a bare minimum trip on ground far from ideal I think Bolger will hold up his hands and say it was a mistake to run him.

I think its very fair to say that the performance the horse put up at Aintree when 3rd would have been good enough to win today so, in my opinion, you've got to say he simply underperformed.

As I said, if he disappoints next time then I think you can say he's on the downgrade but I don't think you can definitively say he is just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Apparently Mossey Joe was found to have a throat infection post race (and Nevskij burst).

Apparently Mossey Joe was found to have a throat infection post race (and Nevskij burst).

Not completely surprised by that. Hopefully it doesn't rule him out for the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Maybe the 10yr Old,Thousand Stars win in a 16 day turnaround from Aintree would be a better comparison. If they say he wasn't found to be right after the race, we have to accept that on face value.

But I wouldn't be rushing to back him at very short odds next time out.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Maybe the 10yr Old,Thousand Stars win in a 16 day turnaround from Aintree would be a better comparison. If they say he wasn't found to be right after the race, we have to accept that on face value.

But I wouldn't be rushing to back him at very short odds next time out.

He had a throat infection so put a line through today's run.

Regardless of that, to get a horse properly race fit after 9 months of apparently standing in a field in about 2 months is not something you can compare to anything really.

Thousand Stars will have been brought along steadily all season and will have been in work a good few months before making his seasonal reappearance and

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

mulbot wrote: »
    i'm fairly sure it's the point bumper race at the punchestown festival they make the offer

No, its definitely today's race. Michael O Leary tried to buy Simonsig one year. Bartlett, being quite wealthy, rejected it immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Lads, less of the insults, potentially defamatory comments and back seat modding. If you've a problem with any post, report it immediately.

It doesn't sound like Enda Bolger has a clue about the horse to be honest. I wonder is Barry considering going back to McNamara/Skehan?

• Advertisement
Advertisement