Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

It was Currans first start so hopefully he was just stiff, have to say Gaffney had a little limp aswell in J14. The 3 points is a monkey off our backs so hopefully we can kick on from here.

Next Friday (Good Friday) we have Athlone at home (ko 7.45pm) FULL BAR SERVICE (yes you read that right) is available in the Dugout Bar from 4pm. Entry is with match ticket only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

They pulled the plug on the full bar.

They'll open thomond park at 6 and you can only get drinks in the stalls behind the stands and they'll reopen for 20 minutes at half time.

Doesnt make much sense given how much they plugged having a full bar to pull it on two days notice. I can only assume someone objected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Iang87 wrote: »
    They pulled the plug on the full bar.

They'll open thomond park at 6 and you can only get drinks in the stalls behind the stands and they'll reopen for 20 minutes at half time.

Doesnt make much sense given how much they plugged having a full bar to pull it on two days notice. I can only assume someone objected

Probably got the licence in the hopes of drawing a crowd. Must have been objected to. Still, I'm just hoping for fine weather and a few goals for LFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Well there will still be a full bar service in the ground as in you can buy alcohol its just they can't use the Dugout bar. I suppose they probably looked at it and realised it would be very hard to police making sure everyone going in and out of the dugout had a match ticket. I'd say the Gardai had a few issues with how many people may show up looking to just have a few pints in the dugout bar and head away again also. Still if someone wants to go to the match and have a few pints the facility is still there to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Full bar service inside the ground from 6. Chief Super put a stop the Dugout plan on Tues leaving a lot of people pissed off but what can you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Must win tonight against Athlone.

Good to beat Rockmount with a sub team, good to see Ross Mann scoring twice, and excellent to see Mick Leahy playing.

Ya delighted to see Leahy getting 90 mins in. Would like to see him on the bench tonight and if possible get a bit of a run.

McManus is supposed to have scored a wonder goal too.

Good win tonight, bit nervier than it should have been in the end, but 3 points is 3 points. I thought we were easily the better team- played some nice football at times, scored 2 goals, hit the post, missed a penalty, and had numerous other chances. But we went to sleep at a few vital times and it could have been costly.

Seems to be a new formation two... a definite 2 up front and a diamond-shape in midfield, with Prince at the tip, Tracy as the most defensive, Duggan left, and Hughes right. I thought it worked well generally in an attacking sense but when we got hit on the counter, we got exposed as Tracy was the only midfielder defending and he's not the most mobile on the turn. But going forward, we looked better. Set-piece delivery was top class. Curran was brilliant before he went off, holding up the ball excellently. Really hope it's not serious, we'll need him for Derry.

Gaffney was poor, Duggan was excellent, Hughes did his normal solid job, Prince looks like a proper footballer but needs to get on the ball more, Tracy as better, Folan and Oji were very strong, Williams was decent. McManus wasn't as effective as Curran but a fantastic finish for the goal. Mann showed real pace to win the penalty, but apparently there was no contact, I couldn't see. Terrible attempt anyway.

When we took Prince off, we went to a 4-5-1 again and even against 10 men, we looked poorer and they could have snatched one late one. But overall, great win, and we're up to 8th, level with 7th. Duggan was my MotM.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

Very fair assessment there. Only thing I would add is the sooner we can get out of Thomond Park the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

I'd agree with most of that too though I think Duggan started slowly enough and drifted in and out a little (great pass for the penalty though). Shane Tracy was improved but gave a lot of ball away needlessly at times and I don't think Gaffney was as poor as you do. Thought it was his usual mix of good moments and nonsense, his touch seems careless at times. Thought Barry Ryan made good saves when he needed to, Jason Hughes did the most work in the middle, Shaun Kelly was solid.

Tam's strike was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭bennyl10

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    Very fair assessment there. Only thing I would add is the sooner we can get out of Thomond Park the better.

Why can i ask?
    Of course markets field is ideal, and seems to be great progress being made at it.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Why can i ask?
    Of course markets field is ideal, and seems to be great progress being made at it.

Its too big absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever. Over a thousand lastnight and it may aswell be 100. I think the Markets Field is far from ideal but it will be a hell of a lot better than Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

I took some photos at the Limerick/Athlone match if anyone wants a look at this link:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/Limerick-FC-v-Athlone-Town-Thomond-Park-(April-14)/16247303

ac2e2e40815f0438c1fed593637d817c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Prince really impressed me on Friday night - likes to get involved in play and is comfortable on the ball. He could become a vocal point in the team if he keeps performances like that coming.

Some finish by Tam as well.

Anyone know whether today's game will be on the radio.

Ross Mann is starting up front in place of Craig Curran, who is not even in the squad, his injury must be worse than I thought. Big blow, as he's been excellent in the last 2 games. A lot of faith to place in Ross though... let's hope he takes his chance with both hands.

0-0 draw. Decent result, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Not a bad result, at least it keeps some sort of momentum going. 6th is the height of Limericks ambitions this year I'd say, so things are looking up now after the last few matches. Some tougher tests ahead thou.

Very tough one tonight against Sligo. Curran supposed to be out again tonight so I can't see us getting much out of it.

Rainsford is not a footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jofspring wrote: »
    Very tough one tonight against Sligo. Curran supposed to be out again tonight so I can't see us getting much out of it.

Is it time for Taylor to start coming under pressure? The side doesn't seem to have moved on from the comfortable levels of last year.

Admittedly I'm out of the loop and maybe the loss of some key players reflects our position but the omens don't look good.

• Advertisement

We are still struggling with injuries but the style and set up of play still seems to be the same and we don't look like we are up to much in many games. It's like we are over complicating everything. We had to work so hard tonight to create anything where as Sligo were only in first gear and still controlled the game. Taylor is under pressure because the main income for the club is home gates and the performances at home are causing them to plummet.

This season feels like it has being going on forever already because of how dull and crap the style of play is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Fairly poor last night, but the worst was some of our shower with their cheering when Rainsford was taken off, his a young lad it's not on, but then mcgrath gets a chant. They both played poorly last night, more stupid carry on by idiots one of which throw a coin at a Sligo player too

Fairly poor last night, but the worst was some of our shower with their cheering when Rainsford was taken off, his a young lad it's not on, but then mcgrath gets a chant. They both played poorly last night, more stupid carry on by idiots one of which throw a coin at a Sligo player too

More? What else have they done?

On the McGrath-Rainsford thing both played poorly one made an effort. Ridiculous to try and claim it was only from that section that Rainsford got stick by the way. I stand with the lads that did it not all of that group did I told them to shut up but there were others to the left of that group and behind that group having a right go at him too.

Why did he change the formation again? I thought we had played fairly decently with 2 up front and the diamondy midfield.

The 4-3-3 doesn't work with those players, such a terrible team selection, you could tell what was going to happen. Taylor completely fcuked up... McManus, Prince, even Ross Man would have been better options than Rainsford and McGrath. I have been a Rainsford fan in the past but he isn't close to being a winger, hasn't a clue how to play the position. And McGrath doesn't look to be overly effective in that position either, despite trying hard.

Gaffney was excellent but I said before that he was going to be isolated up front and unable to do it all on his own, and I was right. Folan was a rock at the back tbf, Oji was good bar a few sloppy passes. But he's hard as fcuk and the Sligo attacking players seemed scared of clashing with him.

But we were outlclassed in midfield, the movement and strength of their players was too much for us, bar Hughes really. How was Duggan motm???? Players are too similar and Tracy can't be the deepest of the 4....

Williams was shocking for the first goal, woeful defending. Missed Kelly a bit too. And Ryan might have made a wondersave or two.

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    More? What else have they done?

On the McGrath-Rainsford thing both played poorly one made an effort. Ridiculous to try and claim it was only from that section that Rainsford got stick by the way. I stand with the lads that did it not all of that group did I told them to shut up but there were others to the left of that group and behind that group having a right go at him too.

It was only one section who cheered when the board went up which was pitiful to be honest, he got a bit of stick from everyone, but the ironic cheers where bad form...Mcgrath was pretty poor, and still got a chant directed at him...both players are nowhere near good enough anyways

I felt bad for Rainsford last night, I mean he had an absolute shocker, but some of the abuse was a bit OTT. Not going to help like.

I applauded him when he went off, but he should never have been playing in the first place. He's a good player when he gets the ball and runs directly at people, but he looked so hesitant and lost yesterday and kept running away from the ball.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I felt bad for Rainsford last night, I mean he had an absolute shocker, but some of the abuse was a bit OTT. Not going to help like.

I applauded him when he went off, but he should never have been playing in the first place. He's a good player when he gets the ball and runs directly at people, but he looked so hesitant and lost yesterday and kept running away from the ball.

He looks lost, I don't know if that's his fault or Stuarts to be honest, because we look so shapeless and clueless all over the field like we don't know what they have to do on the pitch

I was watching both Rainsford and McGrath closely and both had the same roles but just on opposite sides. McGrath seemed to have a far better grasp of his job than Rainsford without actually doing much better. It just looked like Rainsford didn't know whether he was supposed to go forward or backwards, when he needed to be out wide to add width he was pushed in field and when he needed to get tight to Gaffney (from long kicks etc..) he always seemed miles away. It was only in the few minutes before he came off that he it tighter to Gaffney for flick ons and the second ball. Felt bad for the lad he looked lost out there.

My main gripe last night was the amount of players that pulled out of tackles. There was a few 60/50 in a limerick players favour and they pulled out, it made life so much easier for Sligo and was frustrating to see. Taylor and the Limerick bench lost the rag a few times at players that pulled out of tackles/headers.

Thought if anyone of our players deserved motm it was Hughes.

• Advertisement

It was only one section who cheered when the board went up which was pitiful to be honest, he got a bit of stick from everyone, but the ironic cheers where bad form...Mcgrath was pretty poor, and still got a chant directed at him...both players are nowhere near good enough anyways

It was only some that cheered and it was only from that section with the cheering you are right but from people not in that group I heard someone shout at him "You useless c**t" and another roar "You stupid ginger w***er" and that is only two of 7 or 8 thing I heard shouted at the lad I'd much rather an ironic cheer than that. Any of that kind of thing to a young lad is horrible though there was no need for it whatsoever.

Not that it really matters but the reason McGrath didn't get any stick is because he tried its not because he is a poor player those lads were having a go at Rainsford it was his lack of effort and poor attitude.

You are right about both players the people at the club keep going on about this whole promote from within thing and bringing through our own youth has anyone that has been brought up from 19s looked remotely good enough yet?

Advertisement