Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone here on Boards.ie ever seen Lifeboy Handwash? I for one never have.

Options
  • 22-01-2021 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,674 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

But they have been advertising like crazy lately. It must be costing them a fortune but seemingly they are the Worlds No.1 Hygene soap brand.
    Strange because I have never ever ever seen it in any shop in Ireland and the add is like something from the 70s it's that bad.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Are you going to buy it? I never heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,674 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Are you going to buy it? I never heard of it

Nope no intention. Would have no idea where to buy it anyway certainly not in any of the local shops or even in none local shops I used to ho to before lockdown.
    Maybe it's a big commercial Handwash who knows.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,445 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's too big to bring with you on the go unless you carry a massive man bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I saw it for sale in Dunnes Stores during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have heard of it... it was the branded carbolic soap, big brand in UK and America back in the 50s.
    I think I remember it being name checked in some old movies or sitcoms, or maybe it was novels - something like their grandparent always smelled of Lifebuoy soap.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifebuoy_(soap)

Now it's been reformulated to smell like carbolic soap but doesn't have any phenols!

Dunno where their sales are as it doesn't seem to really be be a major seller in US or EU at the moment.
    Seems to be UK and the Commonwealth countries.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

It's lifebuoy, not lifeboy. Available in the Middle East where I am. Owned by Unilever if the bottle in my kitchen is telling the truth. Probably the most common brand of soap, along with dettol, around these parts.

It's new in stock in Tesco, but not as a bar. And no actual carbolics!

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=lifebuoy

Remember if product gets into elves, rinse thoroughly.

* text on Tesco website is in hardtoread font

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's lifebuoy, not lifeboy. Available in the Middle East where I am. Owned by Unilever if the bottle in my kitchen is telling the truth. Probably the most common brand of soap, along with dettol, around these parts.

It's also really popular in South Africa. I'd never heard of it before and saw it all over the place over there.

The OP has planted the seed and now I'm thinking about purchasing the product...
    This liquid hygiene handwash, with its pH skin neutral formula, is infused with Pine and Thyme oil, leaving your hands clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Doesn't he do a Podcast?

Some iconic advertising...
    Lifeboat-Man_tcm244-554065.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Doctor, Doctor. I feel like a bar of soap.
    That's lifebuoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭SteM

AMKC wrote: »
    But they have been advertising like crazy lately. It must be costing them a fortune but seemingly they are the Worlds No.1 Hygene soap brand.
    Strange because I have never ever ever seen it in any shop in Ireland and the add is like something from the 70s it's that bad.

Saw it in Tescos in Greystones a few weeks ago iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Was very common when I grew up.

There was a second brand besides Lifebuoy as well, collectively known as carbolic soap.

It was a germicide* so was popular with the farming community for washing hands before eating.

* This would explain why it has reappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Doctor, Doctor. I feel like a bar of soap.
    That's lifebuoy.

Use Lifebuoy soap and feel Rosie all over!

Lucky her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Definitely remember using the soap bars when I was young (70s) and can still remember the distinctive almost medical smell. If someone asked me for a smell that describes clean then I'd say the old Lifebuoy soap bars. Haven't seen the handwash though.

Yes, I remember it well. I also remember Flash for cleaning the floors, Terry Wogan did the voice-over for the ad on ITV (UTV)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,799 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was very common when I grew up.

There was a second brand besides Lifebuoy as well, collectively known as carbolic soap.

It was a germicide* so was popular with the farming community for washing hands before eating.

* This would explain why it has reappeared.

Sunlight was the other brand.

Advertisement