Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raw Oysters: Love it or hate it?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Snotty slimy creepy ****e. You'd want to be some dirty self deluded pretentious baxtard to even pretend you liked that ****e FFS.

Ah, the old, "I don't like it so anyone who does is a gob****e and only pretending ", attitude.
    Of course.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I love shellfish, but Oysters can **** right off.

A big slimy snot, that's all it is. It has no redeeming features.
    People pretending to enjoy it to look "cultured"

And again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's in your peer group. Most of my family and friends eat fish very regularly including shellfish.

No it’s in my professional experience as someone involved in wholesale to supermarkets/convenience stores throughout Ireland

I personally am a fan of fish, shellfish i can take or leave. But my comments are about the Irish market for fish and shellfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No it’s in my professional experience as someone involved in wholesale to supermarkets/convenience stores throughout Ireland

I personally am a fan of fish, shellfish i can take or leave. But my comments are about the Irish market for fish and shellfish.

OK, I gotcha.. you actually have a overall view. it's a new thing to me, people that don't eat fish.

They're eaten all over the world, it's perfectly normal to eat them. People eat them cause they like them, not to look like anything. What world do you live in where people eat things to look like something???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭whomadewho

Love them, I would eat as many as I can. 6 in one go is the most I've done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

I love oysters and have eaten them since I was a child though haven't had them in a while, nothing to do with looking cultured but they were readily available in my family home when in season as I grew up in Clarinbridge.

I usually just have them raw but I remember my mother making a stew with them.
    I love fish and would have it about 3-4 times per week. I'm fortunate to have a very good fishmongers near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Carlingford Oyster Company were selling 12 oysters with a shucking knife for €12 in Dunnes at Christmas. Shucking is not a difficult task - requiring only the knife, a tea towel, and a little bit of elbow grease.

East and South coast oysters aren't a patch on our native West coast oysters in my humble opinion, but it's an opportunity to try out a premium, homegrown and sustainable food for the same price as some of you pay for a kebab tray from your local chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

John_Rambo wrote: »
    OK, I gotcha.. you actually have a overall view. it's a new thing to me, people that don't eat fish.

I've always found Irish people to be weird about fish, I know loads who don't eat it. My Dad thinks it's because it was traditionally a poor people's food years ago, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Have you actually tried them?

How can something that is very populat be eaten by millions of people to look "cultured".

I have eaten oysters many a time and they're delicious Very tasty.

I ate them for that reason and didn't care what what I looked.

I hate how people judge people for eating something they don't like themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

murpho999 wrote: »
    Have you actually tried them?

How can something that is very populat be eaten by millions of people to look "cultured".

I have eaten oysters many a time and they're delicious Very tasty.

I ate them for that reason and didn't care what what I looked.

I hate how people judge people for eating something they don't like themselves.

I've had them a few times, cheap and expensive, and it's the texture, not the visuals that put me off.
    As for judging people; i'll also judge people who eat at places that deconstruct your food on a clothesline and a shoehorn and make you pay through the ass for the privilege.
    You're not enjoying the experience, not really. But you're there to be seen as the kind of person to go to that trendy spot.

It's the cold slimey snot and the pretentiousness that does it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Again, snot. Very generous.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Absolutely delicious on ice with some tabasco and lemon.

I’m not sure why they’re meant to be an aphrodisiac however. I got poisoned from them one day and the smell coming off my burps was worse than the already foul smell leaving my hole every 2 minutes... It lasted for days and I destroyed 2 pairs of jocks on a long trip home from the romantic weekend in Cork.. I still love them though.

Yeah, thanks for sharing. :eek: You’ve certainly converted me. !

I've had them a few times, cheap and expensive, and it's the texture, not the visuals that put me off.
    As for judging people; i'll also judge people who eat at places that deconstruct your food on a clothesline and a shoehorn and make you pay through the ass for the privilege.
    You're not enjoying the experience, not really. But you're there to be seen as the kind of person to go to that trendy spot.

You say you don't like the texture and then compare it to snot but then also say you've had them several times so that's completely contradictory.

As for your pretentiousness comments I don't know what you're getting at.

Oysters are never deconstructed and usually served untouched on a bad of ice and optional lemon and tabasco. It's one of the least deconstructed foods out there.
    Last time I had them was a lovely pub in Carlingford 6 oysters for €12 washed down with a lovely pint of Guinness. Delicious and nothing pretentious about it all.

You're just complaining about posh restaurants which is nothing to do with oysters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Spent my summers in secondary school in the West of Ireland working on an Oyster farm.
    Turning & shaking bags on the tressels. Back breaking work trying to beat the tide. Also did weekends in autumn and winter when they were harvesting them. Loading the bags onto trailers out the tide, bring them in for grading, bagging and pelleting for shipping to France.
    Looking back they were great summers!
    Still hate oysters though, salty snot.
    I will eat pretty much every other kind of seafood apart from Oysters. I just don't understand the attraction. Each to their own though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

On the daft argument that we dont eat oysters here because of Irish and poverty etc. Yeah have heard that one trotted out many times but it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Thing is in Ireland oysters as a food stuff were hugely popular from  late Mesolithic right up to the 19 century and was a staple food in many areas especially coastal regions.

That said many archaeological digs on inland sites have been found to have large deposits of oyster shells

All kinda went a pear shaped due to various presures on native stocks .
    Continued overharvesting of the shellfish in the 19th century along with heavy pollution, harsh winters and the disease Bonamia ostrea led to a dramatic decline of the native oyster in Ireland and threatened to wipe out its stock altogether. 

http://www.mooregroup.ie/2011/02/cockles-and-piseogs/

https://www.tcd.ie/tceh/projects/foodsmartdublin/recipes/Sept_Oyster/HistoryEcology_oyster.php

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

haven't had any recently but used to eat them a lot....

however

i was talking to a chap rencently that nearly died after standing on one in the sea...mad altogether, some sort of ridiculous infection

You say you don't like the texture and then compare it to snot but then also say you've had them several times so that's completely contradictory.

How do you think i came to the idea that that was the texure i derived from it?

You think someone just described it to me?

Try everything once, or twice.

How do you think i came to the idea that that was the texure i derived from it?

You think someone just described it to me?

Try everything once, or twice.

Of course you need to try something to decide if you like it but several times is more than once or twice to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Of course you need to try something to decide if you like it but several times is more than once or twice to me.

Once is once. Twice is twice. Three times is a few and four, or more, is several.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Oysters are prefect for a first date. If she’ll swallow that she’ll swallow anything.

I apologise profusely for using the wrong word, sorry.

I have tried it, several, times, and from those several tastings, I can confirm it is indeed cold slimy salty snot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I have tried it, several, times, and from those several tastings, I can confirm it is indeed cold slimy salty snot.

Traditionally they were often cooked. Added to seafood and meat based dishes etc. Theres even an oyster stout although that's using the shells. Might help avoid the snot factor.

gozunda wrote: »
    Traditionally they were often cooked. Added to seafood and meat based dishes etc. Theres even an oyster stout although that's using the shells. Might help avoid the snot factor.

Aye. We don't eat mussels raw, and I love me some mussels.

You seem to know an awful lot about the taste of snot.:D

Well for me Oysters are one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten and those from Ireland, particularly Galway are regarded as some of the best oysters in the world.

Might go online and buy some for the weekend.

I'm not really a fan. Cooked are quite nice.

But people who insist that other people don't actually enjoy things that they get profound enjoyment from, just because that don't share that enjoyment or are unwilling to spend the money are miserable, small minded, ignorant snobs (yes inverse snobbery is just as bad). Be that oysters, fine dining, wine, coffee, whatever.

Boils my piss, that attitude.

I'm not really a fan. Cooked are quite nice.

But people who insist that other people don't actually enjoy things that they get profound enjoyment from, just because that don't share that enjoyment or are unwilling to spend the money are miserable, small minded, ignorant snobs (yes inverse snobbery is just as bad). Be that oysters, fine dining, wine, coffee, whatever.

Boils my piss, that attitude.

You're right. I'm a bit guilty of that when it comes to people not ever eating fish. Ever. I just don't get it. I'll have to temper my judgement!!

Advertisement