Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much faith do you have in An Garda Siochana as law enforcement officials?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I had a lot of Garda in my family, all retired or passed away now. They would have all said that the organisation today in no way represents what they joined 40 plus years ago. I had 100% faith in them until the Maurice McCabe incident, that certainly gave me pause for thought. I would still have about 80% faith in them but I would proceed with caution if I needed to have interactions with them. Fully behind them with regard to the very unfortunate incident yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

cursai wrote: »
    I hate all authority. I drive through lollipop ladies direction. Power hungry bitches.
    Down with authority.
    Up with imagination.

Ya. It those damm bitches in the Library get me. "Sir, you shouldnt be writing the name of the killer on the 2nd page of the murder thriller. It ruins it for everyone else"
    And don't get me started on the women giving out Communion at Mass. Whats wrong with bringing your own wine?
    One positive of the Covid is that it ends all that "Lets offer each other the hand of peace" ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Darc19 wrote: »
    American style killing.

Yeah, great if you want to go the trump route.

Agree totally, and all real faith in them lost now.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Agree totally, and all real faith in them lost now.
    You weren't there
    You didn't see what happened
    You don't know the background
    and you lose "all real faith"

I would hate to be the accused person if you were on a jury. Might as well build the gallows before the trial

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I have more faith in the Garda than I have in the judiciary.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the majority of people never have any real dealings with AGS , being stopped at a checkpoint etc isnt really any sort of dealings with them

I had someone buy a house beside me twenty years ago when i was living elsewhere , he was a neighbour from hell but very well connected with high up members of the force , he assaulted me on my own property in 2005 , i was left with a pretty bad black eye , had to get my eye socket checked in the mater hospital eye department , i merely wrestled him to the ground and told him to get off my property

my house was searched two days later , local seargeant arrived with a warrant , claiming he believed i had a stun gun as the neighbour accused me of using it on him

both of us were summonsed for assaulting each other but i was also summonsed for harassing the guys wife , she claimed i regularly followed her from the local village in my car , we lived beside each other so took the same route regularly , that was thrown out of court by the judge but that the guards brought me to court over it , showed how willing they were to work for this guy , anyway , i was in my twenties at the time and a bit wet behind the ears in the way of court , had a local bumpkin solicitor who was only good for basic stuff , barrister was a wet week in the job and a waste of space , judge is now retired but was a notorious nutjob who made the national media once for having during a court sitting dealing with a breaking and entering , claimed he would blow the head off anyone who ever trespassed on his property

the same dingbat convicted me of assault for defending myself against a trespasser who assaulted me , i was so shocked , i didnt have the sense to appeal , i paid a hefty enough fine and the conviction was struck out at a follow up hearing four months later , i dont have a record though if i ever found myself before the courts again , this would come into play which is indeed regrettable

now you might say that was more the judges wrongdoing than AGS but six years later in 2011 , i was arrested for allegedly making a slit throat gesture in the local town against the same neighbour , i didnt even see the guy but apparently we were in a shop together at the same time and the guards looked at the CCTV , new seargent phoned me and asked me about it , i told him i didnt see the neighbour , he phoned me back a week later and said if i didnt volunteer myself for arrest within a few days in the local station , hed come out and arrest me , this time i employed a proper criminal solicitor and was prepared , while i spent four hours in a cell in between being interviewed twice , i picked a nice spot on the wall and refused to answer a single question during interview bar confirming my name , no way was i playing ball with such a farce , got a call six weeks later to say no further action would be taken , i also made sure on the advice of my solicitor not to consent to having my prints taken as if i did , they could be kept in file permanently , this didnt mean i physically resisted when they were being taken , it just meant the record showed i didnt provide consent , the seargeant then had to request permission from up the line to force me to provide them , that took a few hours , the prints had to be subsequently destroyed once it was established that the DPP would not proceed with any action

the local guards were simply doing chores for my neighbour on the orders of those higher up the food chain , nothing serious enough to warrant making official complaints on my part , my solicitor assured me if i did make a complaint , that nothing would come of it , made me realise how riven with politics the institution is however , how willing guards are to act often depends both on who is doing the complaining and who is being complained about

PS , i had two uncles who served in the guards , one was a rank and file in dublin , the other an inspector in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    How many countries in the world have an unarmed "rank and file" police force?

We are doing very well, compared to many many countries

Well that is about to change very rapidly!!!

Well that is about to change very rapidly!!!

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

1874 wrote: »
    variable with individual gardai, I appreciate they are up against it when dealing with judiciary and scum, but I think they should be more reasonable with law abiding citizens, and less tolerant of scum. For the likes of that chap who allegedly ( and it looks very likely) committed robbery at a few locations, assaulted a few people, also with a weapon, in their own community, then threatened uniformed (unarmed) gardai and then armed gardai, not sure why anyone would expect any other outcome, which was driven by the person themself. Cant have lawlessness and it needs to be seen that it will be dealt with, any complaints to the contrary are like an attack lashing out at all of society. The educational oppurtunities in this country for people lower on the social end of things are a huge leg up to change your circumstances. That society/the gardai have to deal with the same stuff ongoing is ridiculous, really need to start fining people for offences of assault/theft/property damage and lock them away as they are going to be a constant drain on society and resourves that otgers could benefit. Gardai could be reformed but we need them, or we will have anarchy with the likes of knife wielding scum roaming society taking what they please.
    every country has the same to deal with so not a big issue.
    application of eu and irish legislation and law is where they fail as
    those of power\authority are constantly given a free pass.
    a government minister complicit in attempted murder by failing to act on
    the relevant legislation in order to protect vested interests is ignored
    whilst someone rob euro 50 of clothes from shop are in court quick.
    legal aid is not there unless a citizen is charged and garda not interested
    in any other than politicians stables of drink\knife etc. and media high profile
    local issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They lost my respect after the all the corruption and shocking treatment of Sgt McCabe.

They have become ineffective too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Last night my neighbors set off fireworks.no big deal

At about 23.30 they tried the back garden, but that was a disaster. Rockets never took off and exploded everywhere with huge explosion. I know , they crashed against my back well.

At midnight there was a great display locally, plenty of fireworks. Our neighbors tried the front but it was full of cars (don’t believe in social distancing or masks despite one contracting covid)They carried what I can only describe as a ‘ box’ of. fireworks out to the centre of the road ( main). before lighting them. Great display in fairness. A passing Garda car had to ‘ go around’ the fireworks.there was about 20 young adults on the driveway at the time ( with phones out) and about 5 parked cars on the footpath. They drove on.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Great police force. Excellent job...especially in clonee under tough impossible conditions they done amazingly

Why?

Societal engineering experiment gone wrong.
    The first generation of mass immigration are usually ok, its when the second generation get woken up they get entitled, unhappy and start causing problems.
    That is not a racist comment, that is a fact. Seen everywhere including the some of the IRA that were british born.

Societal engineering experiment gone wrong.
    The first generation of mass immigration are usually ok, its when the second generation get woken up they get entitled, unhappy and start causing problems.
    That is not a racist comment, that is a fact. Seen everywhere including the some of the IRA that were british born.

So the Gards get more guns? Nah.

I have full confidence in AGS.

So the Gards get more guns? Nah.

Thirty years ago we barely needed the Emergency Response Unit, now we have regional Response units, what do you think it will look like in another 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

joeysoap wrote: »
    Last night my neighbors set off fireworks.no big deal

At about 23.30 they tried the back garden, but that was a disaster. Rockets never took off and exploded everywhere with huge explosion. I know , they crashed against my back well.

At midnight there was a great display locally, plenty of fireworks. Our neighbors tried the front but it was full of cars (don’t believe in social distancing or masks despite one contracting covid)They carried what I can only describe as a ‘ box’ of. fireworks out to the centre of the road ( main). before lighting them. Great display in fairness. A passing Garda car had to ‘ go around’ the fireworks.there was about 20 young adults on the driveway at the time ( with phones out) and about 5 parked cars on the footpath. They drove on.
    treated as kids "banning fireworks ireland" whilst majority of world have them.
    incompetant neighbour well happens,as for large crowd maybe 7 or 8 of them die with covid
    only their own stupidity to blame.
    seems no harm done so a little give and take at seasonal events needed

Thirty years ago we barely needed the Emergency Response Unit, now we have regional Response units, what do you think it will look like in another 5 years?

Exactly how it looks like now, perhaps with minor adjustments.

I don't fall for internet hyperbole, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I have complete confidence in AGS, who do a difficult job very professionally.

Exactly how it looks like now, perhaps with minor adjustments.

I don't fall for internet hyperbole, thankfully.

You just need to look at the statistics of rising prison incarcerations, examples from woke countries like Sweden, where they ignored infractions from migrants and now it is the rape capital of Europe.

The new generation are learning how us Irish were terrible slave masters and how racist we were in the past with no diversity in Ireland.

• Advertisement

You just need to look at the statistics of rising prison incarcerations, examples from woke countries like Sweden, where they ignored infractions from migrants and now it is the rape capital of Europe.

The new generation are learning how us Irish were terrible slave masters and how racist we were in the past with no diversity in Ireland.

That's a lovely story.

I dont agree with that. Like everywhere else there will be freeloaders. Some Irish emigrants to other countries were no better. Just check out the results of the Young Scientist competition every year. Category after category will include the "new Irish" names. End of year school awards in the provincial newspapers again show kids of immigrants topping their class. Immigrants kids involved in music, sports clubs, arts, culture. Their parents maybe here and in many cases working in run of the mill jobs but they are making sure the kids are taking advantage of the opportunities available. When it comes to crime our own lads are top of the league. As for the Gardai its only a matter of time before there is an increase in ethnicity in the ranks as the kids move on in age and start applying.
    I wouldn't be in favour of special quotas as thats only tokenism. If the applicant goes through the Irish education system they will have as good any chance as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

jelem wrote: »
    treated as kids "banning fireworks ireland" whilst majority of world have them.
    incompetant neighbour well happens,as for large crowd maybe 7 or 8 of them die with covid
    only their own stupidity to blame.
    seems no harm done so a little give and take at seasonal events needed

I though that it was funny. Driving around the fireworks.

Edgware wrote: »
    I dont agree with that. Like everywhere else there will be freeloaders. Some Irish emigrants to other countries were no better. Just check out the results of the Young Scientist competition every year. Category after category will include the "new Irish" names. End of year school awards in the provincial newspapers again show kids of immigrants topping their class. Immigrants kids involved in music, sports clubs, arts, culture. Their parents maybe here and in many cases working in run of the mill jobs but they are making sure the kids are taking advantage of the opportunities available. When it comes to crime our own lads are top of the league. As for the Gardai its only a matter of time before there is an increase in ethnicity in the ranks as the kids move on in age and start applying.
    I wouldn't be in favour of special quotas as thats only tokenism. If the applicant goes through the Irish education system they will have as good any chance as any.

Where to be begin? Those Young Scientist are all coached or done for by the parents.
    As for Irish Criminal, yup they are tops in their own leagues but why we have to import anyone elses is beyond me. The Tokenism is alive in the Irish system its called the HEAR system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Fairly positive. They have a tough job and are underfunded and understaffed.

The job is tough, like many other jobs. But they are neither under funded nor understaffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

KaneToad wrote: »
    The job is tough, like many other jobs. But they are neither under funded nor understaffed.

you will never hear any sector of the public sector claim that they are sufficiently funded or sufficiently staffed , when Liam Doran was the head union chief for the Nurses , he was forever asking for more of both and pleading poverty on behalf of those he represented

he had his own dressing room in RTE which also helped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

For me its anecdotally its about 90/10. most are decent salt of the earth but i have come across the power trip element that cannot resist being a prick.

these are usually the less experienced in fairness.

Advertisement