Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Not saying it does, no way near, but like James Bond it is part of him ... Christ imagine any man acting like Roger Moore's 007 .... cringe ..

But I bloody love Rog as 007 - the best Bond for the pure cheese!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭Cordell

Batman is a strong male character, both physically and morally, which is the personification of evil for the woke crowd. I don't even know how Holywood dared to make such a film these days. I mean, what kind of message are they trying to send? That it's ok to beat up criminals, instead of finding excuses and others to blame, especially when the criminals are of a certain colour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Batman is basically a revenge story, and vengeance (as opposed to conflict resolution and dealing with emotional issues and anger) is seen as an aspect of toxic msaculinity. Now whether that's accurate or not, I'm not saying. Just a bit of Friday morning Devil's Advocate :). I would agree with you that it's a strong male character - but then so are people like Hannibal Lecter and Ferris Bueller :).

What most of the woke crowd fail to see is that they're doing a mental version of the exact same thing when they go online.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

"Batman is basically a revenge story, and vengeance" that is perfectly fine, we don't need another francize ruined by "dealing with emotional issues and anger", we already have Star Trek for that.

They can have their own purple/magenta haired black fat lesbian superhero which pampers criminals with compassion and understanding, let's see how well it goes.

"I would agree with you that it's a strong male character - but then so are people like Hannibal Lecter and Ferris Bueller"

OK then, strong positive male character. If it were to be real, Batman would make the world a better place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I dunno - I kinda liked Bueller....

What would be interesting would be a Batman Dark Knight remake where Batman and the Joker were both female. They could sit down to a vegan brunch and just talk about their issues...

• Advertisement

It would be interesting indeed, but as a ... different kind of film if you know what I mean 😉

And Batman can use a new arsenal of gadgets.

Tchaikovsky was unavailable for comment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,678 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

in a similar vein , I wouldnt describe either as being strictly woke but more people losing the run of themselves in a crises. Im pretty sure the BBC played German classical music during WW2 but would accept a fact check

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

The first wartime concerts at Queen's Hall during WWII led off with Wagner and Mendelssohn.

Well, it's a boycott of everything russian, probably the idea is to put as much pressure as possible from all directions, including ordinary russian citizens that now can't get a bigmac or a coke to wash it down or even afford one if still available. Will it work? Who knows, but at least something is finally being done. Does it hurt ordinary russians? Of course it does because that it the purpose, but it doesn't kill them or their children. War is ugly and being cancelled from a show is something very insignificant.

But it's neither woke or funny.

• Advertisement

It's virtue signalling.

They're supposed to be sanctioning Russia, not music. Russia doesn't benefit from it. Might as well ban Tetris!

Might as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The whole think is farcical.

Tchaikovsky's paternal grandfather was Ukranian.

From the age of 24 onwards, Tchaikovsky almost annually spent several months in Ukraine, where he composed over 30 oeuvres, including the operas Vakula the Smith (Cherevichki) and Mazepa, the romantic song “A Cherry Orchard by the House”, and the duet “In a Vegetable Garden near the Ford” based on Taras Shevchenko’s poem.

In general, he used numerous Ukrainian songs in his works.

His work is as much Ukranian as it is Russian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,363 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

In fairness context and nuance isn’t in plentiful supply these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

As much as I don't like him those are two quality memes Mr Musk.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

How can the interviewer keep a straight face ?

Anorexia ??? REALLY???

How insulting to people that actually suffer from anorexia.

We are in a reality war and the truth does not matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

And actions like this may in fact be a breach of discrimination legislation given that it's an action taken against a specific nationality.

• Race: includes race, skin colour, nationality or ethnic origin

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/equality_in_the_workplace.html

And actions like this may in fact be a breach of discrimination legislation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The public's willingness to accept discrimination and also criminalisation of Russia nationals is just bonkers...

If you replace Israeli for russian you are in for a whole world of hurt and rightfully too...not all Israelis are responsible for the atrocities carried out against Palestinians in the same way, not all Russians are responsible for what's happening in Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Tis grand til some Russian takes them to court and they have to shell out a fist full of dollars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

As much as a spa as he is, thats far too on the nose it made me chuckle.

If you ask me what was bonkers was the people's willingness to accept things like a german ex-chancellor being employed by Gazprom and russian oligarchs running free in UK and owing football clubs while British citizens were poisoned in a chemical attack but anyway, let's move on to funnier stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

To be honest, I feel guilty watching Killing Eve, since the main character, Villenelle, is Russian. 😕 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

Crazy stuff.

Especially since well known Russian culture is strongly interwoven with Western culture anyway. Russian contributions to European classical music and ballet are quasi-Western.

Dostoyevsky was strongly influenced by Dickens etc.

Tchaikovsky's music is used in Hollywood films like "Minority Report" and one of the versions of "Sleeping Beauty" and loads of other films.

A Shostakovich waltz is one of the main themes used in Stanley Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut".

I won't be boycotting Russian culture.

The brainless Western liberals who think every aspect of culture and society is first a political instrument to be wielded by themselves however they feel like - these spoilt children who thought they could force everyone to take an injection on their say so - is who needs boycotting.

TL;DR Blue and yellow flags for some; Rachmaninov symphonies and 'War and Peace' for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

This is why I really love the Jack Reacher series on Amazon. Its a throwback to the 80s style tough guy and it doesn't give a ****

• Advertisement

'Bodies of Culture' ? From context it seems this is synonymous with 'people of color' and not cultural institutions ....

Artist banned from Fridays For Future demo because of dreadlocks

Folk-pop singer Ronja Maltzahn had planned to set a “sign for peace and against discrimination” at a “Fridays For Future” demo in Hanover on Friday (March 25), but was now uninvited by the organizers at short notice.

The 27-year-old received the cancellation via social media, where she also shared the direct message in a post. [translation below] According to the climate protection movement, Fridays For Future Hannover must “rely on an anti-colonial and anti-racist narrative, especially in this global strike”. However, this is not possible if the singer is wearing dreadlocks.

Ronja Maltzahn expresses disappointment on Instagram: “It’s a shame that we are excluded from it because of external characteristics”. She also refers to her values ​​and the intentions she is pursuing with her music: “Give cultural diversity a stage, appreciate and celebrate it, stand up for gender equality, mindfulness and tolerance”. In addition, she emphasizes that she hopes that this goal will resonate with her audience and “not the opposite”.

In the comments on the post, supporters of the singer express their outrage and express their sympathy. Others criticize the decision of FFF Hannover: “An event that stands for the fact that appearance and origin should be completely irrelevant, excludes such a loving artist because of her appearance.”

*translated from German

hello Ronja,

We are very sorry that this message came so spontaneously and that we are unfortunately canceling it. The reason for this is that we are focusing on an anti-colonial and anti-racist narrative in this global strike and it is therefore not acceptable for us to have a white person with dreadlocks on our stage. Dreadlocks on white people are a form of cultural appropriation, as it is associated with the identity of Black people and it was used by white people in the days of slavery as a sign of oppression For this reason white people should not wear dreadlocks as they are appropriating a part of another culture without the systematic oppression behind it to experience.

We hope that you will deal with it and we offer you, if necessary, to exchange information on this in the days after the demo. If you decide to cut off your dreadlocks by Friday, we would of course welcome you to the demo and let you play. We are sorry that we allowed this situation to arise at all and did not deal in sufficient detail with which artists were asked for our demo.

Greetings FridaysforFuture Hanover

just to update this story from ages ago,

Society of Authors’ President, Sir Philip Pullman, has announced his resignation from the role he has held since 2013.

In a letter to the SoA’s Management Committee earlier this month, Philip Pullman wrote:

The Presidency is not an executive position. Matters of policy are decided by the members through the Management Committee and the Society as a whole is administered by a Chief Executive. That state of affairs has worked well during most of my term as President, but recent events have made it apparent that when a difference of opinion arises, there is no easy way to resolve it within the constitution or the established practices of the Society.

When it became clear that statements of mine were being regarded as if they represented the views of the Society as a whole (although they did nothing of the sort, and weren’t intended to), and that I was being pressed by people both in and out of the Society to retract them and apologise, I realised that I would not be free to express my personal opinions as long as I remained President. That being the case, with great regret and after long consideration I chose to stand down.

SoA Chief Executive Nicola Solomon said:

We were very sorry when Philip told us in February that he intended to resign, and regret that his personal views have come under so much scrutiny because of his Presidency of the SoA. Social media has changed the way we all communicate, organisations as well as individuals. We are in the process of reviewing the Constitution to reflect the times in which we live, including the roles of the Management Committee, Chair and President. The Management Committee will be making recommendations and the Council will discuss the role at their Annual Meeting in June 2022.

https://societyofauthors.org/News/News/2022/March/Philip-Pullman-resigns-from-SoA-Presidency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is absolutely hilarious.

And the fact that 13 others thanked it thinking the same.

Priceless.

You do know that calling someone a spa is offensive and pretty ignorant?

Or is it woke of me to point that out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

You can yawn all you want.

Does not change the point made.

I think that was the point, to be offensive. Obviously, the offence was intended to be directed towards Elon Musk and not towards people suffering from a medical condition.

Right on dude.

You keep getting offended over everything.

offending him by inferring that he is suffering from a medical condition?

And that’s not supposed to be a dig at those suffering from same medical condition.?

If you had a friend or family member with that condition, you’d speak up every time you came across basic ignorance like this.

Post edited by anewme on

• Advertisement

Yeah right.

Ill keep calling out those using ignorant and offensive terns like that.

Dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,098 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What medical condition is being a "spa". Can you provide a link to this in a medical dictionary?

Not sure if you are really being serious or deliberately obtuse?

There are a lot iof posts on this thread that makes you think “seriously, how can that person seriously not know that”.

The result is hilarious as the person slagging the “woke” is the actual joke as they don’t understand the point being made. Maybe it’s a generational thing.

Now, if you need to be educated, that’s down to yourself not for me to explain to you.

Cordell misses the point that slurs are offensive and there are words and terms that should not be used.

if you can’t see that or understand basic respect, then it’s yourself that needs to grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

Don't you ever get tired of feigning offence on behalf of people that aren't offended. What's tomorrow's absolute offence of the day for you? Pretty sad really

I mean, the world has gone very “woke”, hasn’t it. I mean you can’t even call a person a spa any more without being told it’s out of order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

Like I said stop getting offended for the sake of being offended. Move on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Words can have more than one meaning. They can evolve from one meaning and take on a different meaning, even while keeping that original meaning (often it becomes outmoded)

That's what's happened here. Nobody's calling anyone a medical spastic. The word has evolved to mean a general twit.

It's not reasonable to pick up on a secondary meaning that clearly wasn't intended (ie a "dig at those suffering from same medical condition")

Inferring your own meaning where it clearly wasn't meant it one of the reasons this thread exists in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Does spa come from spastic? I never knew that. Never heard spa till I moved to Ireland. Asked what it meant and was told its calling someone an idiot or stupid. Use it all the time now.

Post edited by Yeah_Right on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement