Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adele accused of 'Cultural Appropriation'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Then how did I miss the point. That's exactly what I thought your point would be.

So now you really did miss the point of the post. Wind your neck in.

Not according to your original response to my question.

I would quote it here except that when I follow the links in the quotes back it doesn’t lead to your post. It is as though the post has been deleted.

Or the fault might be with my device

EDIT: I cannot find the post where I asked the question either

Candie wrote: »
    It's the usually red, yellow or sometimes blue dot worn between the eyebrows by women in India. Usually Hindus. Wedding bindi can be a bit more elaborate, a pattern above both eyebrows or a series of dots petaling the usual centre one.

Calling your daughter bindi is a bit nuts. It means dot or spot in Hindi.

Why do women wear them at music festivals ?

I doubt Steve Irwin was referencing the Hindu culture in naming his daughter. Most likely Bindi means something to Australians. Perhaps it is an word from the Aboriginal language?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I thought cultural diversity was our strength, but on the other hand cultural exchange is bad? Right so. More retarded and contradictory nonsense from the progressive loudhailers as usual?

Never mind that these mental cases if they divested themselves of stuff from other cultures would be likely walking around in the nip living in a shed. I saw one Asian American(well the latter is a near given) eejit lose his head on both youtube and twitter over White people appropriating Asian culture, yet there he was sitting in an armchair in jeans wearing glasses with books lining a shelf behind him and a telly in the background using the internet on a computer. All inventions of the same pale of hue people. Needless to say when this was pointed out he lost the plot.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Why does the duck have disembodied balls for arms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

"Bantu knots are NOT to be worn by white people in any context, period."

The above comment is racist.
    The irony :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Bambi wrote: »
    Cultures are open source
    Quite right.
    Imagine if we refused to allow any other cultural influences in to Ireland. Think of all the lovely food you would miss out on for a start.

And we are doing better out of the deal than the other cultures, we get all the nice grub, they get characterless Irish theme pubs.

Why do women wear them at music festivals ?

I doubt Steve Irwin was referencing the Hindu culture in naming his daughter. Most likely Bindi means something to Australians. Perhaps it is an word from the Aboriginal language?

No, Bindi (as in Irwin) does seem to be of Aboriginal origin, to be fair. I wouldn't name a daughter Bindi because I'd just feel I called her Spot. I wouldn't even call a dog Spot. I'd probably feel differently if I was Australian.

I think they're worn as part of a more bohemian aesthetic by the festival-going-bindi-wearing public. it's just a fashion or style thing. I suppose it's reserved for festivals because a bunch of white girls in shorts and wellingtons with their foreheads decorated in wedding bindi might look a little over the top for your average night out in downtown Dublin or Cork or Newcastle, but I'm no expert on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

daheff wrote: »
    There is a difference between mocking a culture and copying a culture, or parts thereof.

Mocking is making fun of it, copying is because the person likes it.

This SJW bandwagon isn't getting the difference and thinks its all about making fun of the culture and get outraged at every little thing they can because they ultimately want to make trouble for the person they are being outraged at.

Absolute Nonsense.

Yeah context is lost on some people these days. I do find it funny at times when someone on Twitter gets utterly offended on someone’s behalf over something said about that person and then the person who’s supposed to be offended says that’s they don’t take offence to it. You can literally see in tweet form the person who’s offended head explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

No, Bindi (as in Irwin) does seem to be of Aboriginal origin, to be fair. I wouldn't name a daughter Bindi because I'd just feel I called her Spot. I wouldn't even call a dog Spot. I'd probably feel differently if I was Australian.
    Maybe her real name is Dorothy > Dot > Bindi.
    It might be her nickname.

• Advertisement

Maybe her real name is Dorothy > Dot > Bindi.
    It might be her nickname.

I looked it up, she's named after her fathers favourite crocodile, but it's also an Aboriginal word meaning little girl.

Dot, as a name, makes me hear the Eastenders theme tune in my head.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

eternally offended get offended again.......
    the world turns, the sun sets......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The world is gone mad at the moment and we seem to be in the era of where the voice of the crazy and offended is loudest.

On one hand people are fighting for inclusivity and equality and on the other a lot of those same people are calling out people for cultural appropriation for anything that is considered specific to a certain minority. It's a real case of I want it all but only on my terms.

Which is completely tokenistic and often not based on actual talent or appropriateness of role to be undertaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Guill wrote: »
    One twitter user offended = RTE headline. I think RTE are the problem here.

They 're only part of it. The intellectual laziness that causes journalists hacks to treat stuff on Twitter as newsworthy is the problem. There are more news organisations at it than just RTE.
    Rothko wrote: »
    It gives lazy journalists something to write about without putting any effort into it.

Exactly. Not journalism at all, just copy-and-paste, usually showing a screenshot of the tweet, then repeating the content in the text below, just in case you missed it. :rolleyes:

A few rules for *cough* journalists that would improve the current low standard of journalism:

1. Opinions aired on Twitter are not newsworthy, they're just opinions.
    2. Twitter is not an entity, stop treating its pronunciations as it they come from a hive mind. Twitter does not "go crazy", "have a meltdown" or "go ballistic", it's just some ejits who use it that occasionally do.
    3. Get off your arse and go out and find a proper news story to report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

storker wrote: »
    They 're only part of it. The intellectual laziness that causes journalists hacks to treat stuff on Twitter as newsworthy is the problem. There are more news organisations at it than just RTE.

Exactly. Not journalism at all, just copy-and-paste, usually showing a screenshot of the tweet, then repeating the content in the text below, just in case you missed it. :rolleyes:

A few rules for *cough* journalists that would improve the current low standard of journalism:

1. Opinions aired on Twitter are not newsworthy, they're just opinions.
    2. Twitter is not an entity, stop treating its pronunciations as it they come from a hive mind. Twitter does not "go crazy", "have a meltdown" or "go ballistic", it's just some ejits who use it that occasionally do.
    3. Get off your arse and go out and find a proper news story to report.

Fewer people paying for news, more of this click bait stuff going on.

Boards.ie even has a "bargain" alert discussing how to get free newspapers over VPN etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The usual virtue signalling nonsense. Who actually cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

o1s1n wrote: »
    Writing in the comments section of the Instagram post, a user said: "Bantu knots are NOT to be worn by white people in any context, period."

It would look absolutely daft on me, but I kind of want to get them now purely because I've been told I can't.

Through '66 and 7
    They fought the Congo War
    With their fingers on their triggers
    Knee-deep in gore
    The days and nights they battled
    The Bantu to their Knees
    They killed to earn their living
    And to help out the Congolese

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The modern left is very amusing. It’s all so made up, and vaguely religious in tone.

The modern left is very amusing. It’s all so made up, and vaguely religious in tone.

Can you explain that a little more, particularly what this non news story has got to do with left of centre political leanings?

I don't think accusations of cultural appropriation are indicative of either left or right?

I think they're worn as part of a more bohemian aesthetic by the festival-going-bindi-wearing public. it's just a fashion or style thing. I suppose it's reserved for festivals because a bunch of white girls in shorts and wellingtons with their foreheads decorated in wedding bindi might look a little over the top for your average night out in downtown Dublin or Cork or Newcastle, but I'm no expert on the subject.

Some Aussies do seem a bit mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Everybodyjay

Welcome to the Left

kenmm wrote: »
    Can you explain that a little more, particularly what this non news story has got to do with left of centre political leanings?

I don't think accusations of cultural appropriation are indicative of either left or right?
    Welcome to the Left

Same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It will be fine as she is of African descent like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Cultural appropriation as the term is commonly used is, for the most part, a load of bollox.

Adele tying her hair in knots is no more offensive than Beyonce dying her hair blonde and straightening it, or rappers using classical music in their tunes, or a Western chef cooking an asian dish. Every art that we enjoy has been influenced by or borrowed from another source as it evolved. There was a fuss over a black girl doing Riverdance recently - it's nonsense of the highest order. She was a very talented girl doing a very popular routine - end of story.

The only people who are offended by stuff like this are permanently on the hunt for offense, and should be muted at all opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

It's the usually red, yellow or sometimes blue dot worn between the eyebrows by women in India. Usually Hindus. Wedding bindi can be a bit more elaborate, a pattern above both eyebrows or a series of dots petaling the usual centre one.

Calling your daughter bindi is a bit nuts. It means dot or spot in Hindi.

She is named after Steve Irwins favourite female crocodile at Australia Zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Bjork used to have that hair in the 90s. No little bitches complained about it. Bet lots of the whiners are white too.

Bjork would have little time for cries of cultural appropriation. :D
    Adele looks fab. There was such butt hurt when she lost all the weight. :D

Yeah, that was odd. Did some people feel betrayed or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Dot, as a name, makes me hear the Eastenders theme tune in my head.

g61esG4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Every St Patricks Day people ALL over the world wear green and celebrate it. But they are not Irish so now the must be 'cancelled' as us Irish are now all offended!!

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I can't wait for the hardcore Aran Islanders to demand removal of all those Aran sweaters on the market. Oy veh!

Aran jumpers were an invented tradition for providing employment and the tourist market.

• Advertisement

kenmm wrote: »

Hilarious post. I guess cancel culture is equally bipartisan?

Advertisement