Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adele accused of 'Cultural Appropriation'

Comments

Maybe her real name is Dorothy > Dot > Bindi.
    It might be her nickname.

I looked it up, she's named after her fathers favourite crocodile, but it's also an Aboriginal word meaning little girl.

Dot, as a name, makes me hear the Eastenders theme tune in my head.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,850 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

eternally offended get offended again.......
    the world turns, the sun sets......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The world is gone mad at the moment and we seem to be in the era of where the voice of the crazy and offended is loudest.

On one hand people are fighting for inclusivity and equality and on the other a lot of those same people are calling out people for cultural appropriation for anything that is considered specific to a certain minority. It's a real case of I want it all but only on my terms.

Which is completely tokenistic and often not based on actual talent or appropriateness of role to be undertaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Guill wrote: »
    One twitter user offended = RTE headline. I think RTE are the problem here.

They 're only part of it. The intellectual laziness that causes journalists hacks to treat stuff on Twitter as newsworthy is the problem. There are more news organisations at it than just RTE.
    Rothko wrote: »
    It gives lazy journalists something to write about without putting any effort into it.

Exactly. Not journalism at all, just copy-and-paste, usually showing a screenshot of the tweet, then repeating the content in the text below, just in case you missed it. :rolleyes:

A few rules for *cough* journalists that would improve the current low standard of journalism:

1. Opinions aired on Twitter are not newsworthy, they're just opinions.
    2. Twitter is not an entity, stop treating its pronunciations as it they come from a hive mind. Twitter does not "go crazy", "have a meltdown" or "go ballistic", it's just some ejits who use it that occasionally do.
    3. Get off your arse and go out and find a proper news story to report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

storker wrote: »
    They 're only part of it. The intellectual laziness that causes journalists hacks to treat stuff on Twitter as newsworthy is the problem. There are more news organisations at it than just RTE.

Exactly. Not journalism at all, just copy-and-paste, usually showing a screenshot of the tweet, then repeating the content in the text below, just in case you missed it. :rolleyes:

A few rules for *cough* journalists that would improve the current low standard of journalism:

1. Opinions aired on Twitter are not newsworthy, they're just opinions.
    2. Twitter is not an entity, stop treating its pronunciations as it they come from a hive mind. Twitter does not "go crazy", "have a meltdown" or "go ballistic", it's just some ejits who use it that occasionally do.
    3. Get off your arse and go out and find a proper news story to report.

Fewer people paying for news, more of this click bait stuff going on.

Boards.ie even has a "bargain" alert discussing how to get free newspapers over VPN etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The usual virtue signalling nonsense. Who actually cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

o1s1n wrote: »
    Writing in the comments section of the Instagram post, a user said: "Bantu knots are NOT to be worn by white people in any context, period."

It would look absolutely daft on me, but I kind of want to get them now purely because I've been told I can't.

Through '66 and 7
    They fought the Congo War
    With their fingers on their triggers
    Knee-deep in gore
    The days and nights they battled
    The Bantu to their Knees
    They killed to earn their living
    And to help out the Congolese

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The modern left is very amusing. It’s all so made up, and vaguely religious in tone.

The modern left is very amusing. It’s all so made up, and vaguely religious in tone.

Can you explain that a little more, particularly what this non news story has got to do with left of centre political leanings?

I don't think accusations of cultural appropriation are indicative of either left or right?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Candie wrote: »
    No, Bindi (as in Irwin) does seem to be of Aboriginal origin, to be fair. I wouldn't name a daughter Bindi because I'd just feel I called her Spot. I wouldn't even call a dog Spot. I'd probably feel differently if I was Australian.

I think they're worn as part of a more bohemian aesthetic by the festival-going-bindi-wearing public. it's just a fashion or style thing. I suppose it's reserved for festivals because a bunch of white girls in shorts and wellingtons with their foreheads decorated in wedding bindi might look a little over the top for your average night out in downtown Dublin or Cork or Newcastle, but I'm no expert on the subject.

Some Aussies do seem a bit mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Everybodyjay

Welcome to the Left

kenmm wrote: »
    Can you explain that a little more, particularly what this non news story has got to do with left of centre political leanings?

I don't think accusations of cultural appropriation are indicative of either left or right?
    Welcome to the Left

Same question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It will be fine as she is of African descent like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Cultural appropriation as the term is commonly used is, for the most part, a load of bollox.

Adele tying her hair in knots is no more offensive than Beyonce dying her hair blonde and straightening it, or rappers using classical music in their tunes, or a Western chef cooking an asian dish. Every art that we enjoy has been influenced by or borrowed from another source as it evolved. There was a fuss over a black girl doing Riverdance recently - it's nonsense of the highest order. She was a very talented girl doing a very popular routine - end of story.

The only people who are offended by stuff like this are permanently on the hunt for offense, and should be muted at all opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

It's the usually red, yellow or sometimes blue dot worn between the eyebrows by women in India. Usually Hindus. Wedding bindi can be a bit more elaborate, a pattern above both eyebrows or a series of dots petaling the usual centre one.

Calling your daughter bindi is a bit nuts. It means dot or spot in Hindi.

She is named after Steve Irwins favourite female crocodile at Australia Zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Bjork used to have that hair in the 90s. No little bitches complained about it. Bet lots of the whiners are white too.

Bjork would have little time for cries of cultural appropriation. :D
    Adele looks fab. There was such butt hurt when she lost all the weight. :D

Yeah, that was odd. Did some people feel betrayed or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Dot, as a name, makes me hear the Eastenders theme tune in my head.

g61esG4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Every St Patricks Day people ALL over the world wear green and celebrate it. But they are not Irish so now the must be 'cancelled' as us Irish are now all offended!!

FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I can't wait for the hardcore Aran Islanders to demand removal of all those Aran sweaters on the market. Oy veh!

Aran jumpers were an invented tradition for providing employment and the tourist market.

• Advertisement

kenmm wrote: »

Hilarious post. I guess cancel culture is equally bipartisan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

“Cancel culture” is just a form of boycott. There’s plenty of calls for boycotting for ideological reasons on both sides of the aisle, and there always has been.

“Cancel culture” is just a form of boycott. There’s plenty of calls for boycotting for ideological reasons on both sides of the aisle, and there always has been.

Like the 500 page 'defund' RTE' thread where a lot of posters in favour of cancelling RTE would support right wing policies.

Nothing funny about our rush to emulate our American cousins with the race to the bottom of polarised politics.

Because you believe in the welfare state you must therefore attack cultural appropriation?

Never had a conservative that thinks it's a load of ****?

Yeah, you are right it is a pretty hilarious way of thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

With shoite like this becoming more common and normalised, I fear for the species tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Aran jumpers were an invented tradition for providing employment and the tourist market.

Totally, and don't forget, Dun Aengus is merely a bunch of stones piled up from all the farmers' fences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

With shoite like this becoming more common and normalised, I fear for the species tbh.

Ahh... I wouldn't worry about that, it acts as a cheap aphrodisiac for certain females.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Wtf is wrong with these social justice warriors.

Yeah if she was wearing a real lion cloth and dancing around a fire with a spear then yes that would be inappropriate but that is just people looking to be offended. Just like there were people saying that black Irish dancer was being in culturally inappropriate, these people need to get a life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

By extension of the logic:

A Japanese man should not wear blue jeans or dye his hair blonde = not his culture

A black woman should not eat at a Chinese restaurant = not her culture

Cultural appropriation is an overreaction, unless it's done in very bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Whestsidestory

The only crime committed is a fashion one...ffs the state of her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Just seen the picture, are you sure that's not Katy Perry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The last ‘culture’ or mobs ON this continent that tried to decide what people should WEAR...should THINK...should SAY...should DO...should BE were led by a lads who believed in a swastika and a hammer and sickle. She can dress the hell what way she likes...a hairdo is not the cultural property of anybody... you’d want to be an absolute shît for brains human being to get worked up about somebody’s hairdo and then claim that your ‘ culture ‘ own it and people of other nations cannot look like or adopt this hairstyle...

Ok.. lets get down to their level...

Tomorrow Michael Martin calls for the banning of non Irish people worldwide from participating in St Patrick’s day parades... drinking Guinness, speaking Irish or owning an Irish Setter dog...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I wonder how many of the people telling her what hairdo she's not allowed to have also say that a woman can do whatever she wants with her body. It'd be quite a contradiction.

I'm still convinced it's Katy Perry.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

The problem is when they bow down and apologise to this utter nonsense, as Ricky Gervais said getting annoyed about all this nonsense online is like getting annoyed by graffiti in some obscure public toilet - problem is , obscure graffiti in a public jax doesn't get people's lives ruined, this nonsense does cos the media fuel it , and I really hope Adele doesn't cave and apologise , as this just gives these lunatics an inch...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Just seen the picture, are you sure that's not Katy Perry?
    I'm still convinced it's Katy Perry.
    Adele for sure. That's a tat of the planet Saturn she has on her arm.
    Why, like :confused:

The problem is when they bow down and apologise to this utter nonsense, as Ricky Gervais said getting annoyed about all this nonsense online is like getting annoyed by graffiti in some obscure public toilet - problem is , obscure graffiti in a public jax doesn't get people's lives ruined, this nonsense does cos the media fuel it , and I really hope Adele doesn't cave and apologise , as this just gives these lunatics an inch...

Correct, and if they win getting to decide what people may or may not get in terms of a fûcking hairdo, what next ?

Be like the French banning the export of Peugeot cars, Renault and Citroen too... with this covid, people have seriously to much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Strumms wrote: »
    Correct, and if they win getting to decide what people may or may not get in terms of a fûcking hairdo, what next ?

Be like the French banning the export of Peugeot cars, Renault and Citroen too... with this covid, people have seriously to much time on their hands.

No I think Covid has had no affect on these dopes at all. This crap is from pre-lockdown minds to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It's Notting Hill carnival.... it's a carnival....in London. She's English.
    She is wearing the Jamaican flag as a bikini.

She is wearing the Jamaican flag as a bikini.

True,

If I was a bikini wearing fella I can pick one up online in basically any country flag. A pic here of 3 girls in an Irish tricolor bikini and a chap in Irish tricolor shorts... I’m trying my heart out to get offended but ...

irish_flag_swimwear_09.jpg

Strumms wrote: »
    True,

If I was a bikini wearing fella I can pick one up online in basically any country flag. A pic here of 3 girls in an Irish tricolor bikini and a chap in Irish tricolor shorts... I’m trying my heart out to get offended but ...

irish_flag_swimwear_09.jpg
    Presumably they are Irish.

• Advertisement

Presumably they are Irish.

I can’t see their passports but is that Termonfeckin ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,162 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Adele is Hitler.

Danzy wrote: »
    Adele is Hitler.
    :p

watch?v=1zY1orxW8Aw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Adele is Hitler.

Aaaand /thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

GLaDOS wrote: »
    The entire concept of cultural appropriation is nonsense.

Culture is appropriation. People look at how others do things and adopt the same practices and it ultimately becomes a case of this is how WE do things now.
    I can wear whatever kind of hat I want and nobody can stop me. Apply that to everything.

Apologies, i didn't read through the whole thread. If anyone is offended by a white person "culturally whateverthe****" then **** off.

You have no right to claim any benefit from "white culture"

Absolute nonsense.

I have a French and Brazilian International football shirts....

I’m neither French or Brazilian, I wear both to the gym from time to time or just flopping on the couch watching tv, going to the shop, going for a drive...whatever.

If somebody in France or Brazil is dying their hair red, wearing an Irish shirt, bikini, tie, tattoo or all the above... good luck to em. If you are upset about it, kindly drown yourself in treacle... democracy, people can wear what they like. Get a grip.... is this where we are at ? 2020, covid running wild and people pissed of at Adele’s hair and Jamaican bikini.... what a fûckin time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Adele is Hitler.

No, that was Adolf

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Urquell wrote:
    Is there nothing more important happening and where in the world? What a stupid age. Damn kids ... *shakes fist

The world was a much better place before Twitter etc. And all these t*****s who had a platform to be offended by each and everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I’m getting too old for this ****.

Imagine a life without all this nonsense. That’s it, phone in bin. Sir Richard Branson, I request termination of our little deal where we exchange internets for monies.

I want out.

Ciao.

Advertisement