Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handwriting?

• 11-08-2019 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

How bad/good is yours?

Had to pen a letter today and realized how out of shape my handwriting is! not enough practice and in fact rarely even write with a pen since schooldays

I either do it too fast making it illegible or too slow making it look like a 6yr olds writing......even my signatures rarely look the same twice when I think about it :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's awful now as I rarely write, it used to be lovely. My signature looks like it's penned mid seizure, and like you, it's always different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I struggle to read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have to say mine is very good and I regularly get complimented on it. I still write by hand quite a bit in my work so never been away from it for very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I still write regularly but my handwriting has always been terrible - naturally left handed but forced to write with the right, plus I always seem to rush it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I reckon my writing would be better and neater if I used my feet rather than hands.
    I am a leftie too but write with my left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It certainly seems a dying art form when you think about it, unless you're in a job that requires it or still at school/college........how many people write regularly with a pen....everything is keyboard or touch screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Mine still retains some of its former elegance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Mine is OK, but not great.

My signature, however, has gotten progressively worse over the years. You'd barely be able to make out 1 letter in my signature now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

My writing is terrible, luckily I have someone who can decipher it. When I'm writing for strangers I usually write in my form of capitals but it usually ends up as joined up capitals with missing pieces of letters, no heads on J's, no backs on E's, D's shaped like a ladder leaning against a wall, A's the same as D's with the bottom line at an upward angle, etc., A paragraph would rival hieroglyphics, just terrible. I always envied people with good handwriting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Most reports & analysis, service records & updates are entered via computer keyboard / PDA for easy access. From colleges to workplaces everything now has to be entered into an easily accessable online database. :rolleyes:

Even mathematical equations & calculations are now entered via keyboard / PDA, at one time a written account with relevant calculations scanned would be sufficient. Now you have to use a dedicated software program! :eek:

Strangely my left handed writing, which I practice to show off sometimes, is now almost as good as my original right handed writing which has declined in quality & legibility.

Apart from quick written notes & maybe signatures, handwriting is becoming obsolete!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I should be a doctor mine is so bad.

I still write regularly but my handwriting has always been terrible - naturally left handed but forced to write with the right, plus I always seem to rush it.

I'm a leftie also but was fortunate to start school in the late eighties. The influence of the Christian brothers was waning, and 'Damian' wasn't cast out of me. My brother is a few years older, also a ciotóg and he was "encouraged" to use his right hand before our mother intervened. Legacy of those few years is that he still writes with a childlike scrawl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

my hand writing was always fairly haphazard and has grown disgraceful with disuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Haven't written anything meaningful since i was at school, and im old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I used to write a lot of letter before e mails . Now as I write less and less my handwriting is not half as neat as it used to be .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Generally bad. I’m an accidental left-hand writer. I do everything else right-handed. My two older siblings and mother are true lefties and I think I thought it was the correct way. I briefly wrote with both hands but chose to stick with the wrong one. My parents didn’t think it was wrong, they assumed that I chose my stronger hand. Think things are sometimes awkward for lefties? It’s worse when it’s not your correct writing hand. My hand tires after only a few sentences and my writing goes to shit. If I really focus, my writing can look pretty but I really have to concentrate hard.

I haven't seen much handwriting lately to compare it to. Nowhere near as good as the girls in school. Probably top 20th percentile of my fellow fellas. Never saw a girl with bad handwriting but Christ above some lads had chicken scratch.

It's about the same level as when in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

A GP would be proud of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I had to use a computer to do exams. I didn’t do that for the leaving cert. I didn’t do great and always wonder how well I would do if I had typed the answers instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if you have bad handwriting really bad handwriting...does that mean you're thick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

fryup wrote: »
    if you have bad handwriting really bad handwriting...does that mean you're thick?

No correlation between handwriting ability and intelligence whatsoever.

And now I’m wondering was that a serious question? :o

As for my own handwriting, it’s legible at least, nothing particularly special about it, but I keep a written work diary as well as using a laptop daily, not because I have to, but because I never want to lose the ability to write. It took me long enough to learn how to read and write properly so I value it greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Mines terrible. A few times a week in my job I have to write an address on an envelope.. I always hide it within the rest of the post so people don't know it was me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,813 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's fairly bad.
    I had to write a few things down lately to learn off and the biggest challenge nearly was to read my writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Feel free to analyse...

487906.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Feel free to analyse...

487906.JPG

serial killer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

A GP would be proud of it.
    Yes only pharmacists can read mine. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Mine is so Bad I struggle to read it myself afterwards

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I can still write fairly well with effort, but in general it's in decline.

It's a shock to look back on handwritten notes from about ten years ago: by god it was beautiful compared to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You wouldn't be able to read my handwriting

• Advertisement

Oh, it's awful. So awful that I feel giddy with relief if anyone can read it.

I remember getting a certificate in school for having Very Nice Writing. Those days are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I was allowed to do my Junior Cert, Leaving Cert and college exams by computer because of my handwriting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

sonofenoch wrote: »
    How bad/good is yours?

Had to pen a letter today and realized how out of shape my handwriting is!....

It's legible, though not very pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

sonofenoch wrote: »
    How bad/good is yours?

Had to pen a letter today and realized how out of shape my handwriting is! not enough practice and in fact rarely even write with a pen since schooldays

I either do it too fast making it illegible or too slow making it look like a 6yr olds writing......even my signatures rarely look the same twice when I think about it :D

If I'm writing a greeting card I not only have to put thought into the sentiment but also into my writing, as I don't write much at all these days (bar making the weekly shopping list, appointments on the calendar and little things like that). So my writing is not as good (I don't think) as it used to be unless I apply myself. Having said that, I do get complimented on my writing sometimes.
    When I was younger, I could change up my style of writing so much so that teachers used to think one of my elder siblings did my homework for me :D They failed to see how talented I was :rolleyes::D:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve handwriting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Mostly bad. I’m an accidental left-handed writer so my hand gets tired really quickly. I have to really focus and write slowly to do nice writing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Headline copy and about ten minutes practice a day. Sorted in a couple of weeks, barring some physical issue.

Holding the pen properly is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Many schools do not teach cursive handwriting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

I also remember that I was proud of my handwriting, and I can't say that everything has gone. However, it is tough to write a lot on paper nowadays as compared to academic days. Withal, there are several ways to improve handwriting for adults. You can start writing a daily diary or journal to improve your handwriting. Don't forget to go with the right pen, paper and posture. This article https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/11/how-improve-your-handwriting is very helpful to improve handwriting for adults.

On the other hand, it is general perception that good handwriting doesn't matter a lot for careers but in actual, it is very important for self-esteem and even many professional writers draft their books or novels in the handwritten format in the beginning. You can also consider this article https://magiclinkhandwriting.com/the-importance-of-good-handwriting/ to explore the importance of good handwriting. Similarly, handwriting engages your brain activity as compared to typing on gadgets.

Due to a strict work schedule, I don't write a lot but always love to get good pens and other writing stationary. In camping holidays, I love to read and write in quiet places. You can also do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Use your computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

My handwriting is good if i'm interested in who i'm writing too. If im jotting something diwn I actually struggle to read what I wrote down

• Advertisement
Advertisement