Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cultural Appropriation: Vote and tell us what you think

Options
  • 02-05-2018 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Let me state it right away: I don't think this "Cultural Appropriation" malarkey should be a thing at all, but it seems to exercise some minds so let's see what we really think.

Below is a video of an American footballer with clearly very little, if any, Irish heritage who took up Irish dancing because it improves his game. Have a look and then please answer the questions in the poll.

What is your reaction to this African American's adoption of Irish dancing? 32 votes

I'm Irish and I think it's delightful. Fair play to ye, boy! (Irish for Way to go, Big Guy)
    0% 0 votes
    I'm Irish and I'm outraged! He doesn't even have freckles FFS!!
    75% 24 votes
    I'm not Irish and I think he's cool.
    9% 3 votes
    I'm not Irish but Cultural Appropriation is never OK. He should stop.
    15% 5 votes
    It doesn't matter what I am. I couldn't give a fart in my trousers what he does.
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm pretty sure this is common in a lot of sports, certain types of exercise/dancing can be beneficial as cross training to someone wishing to exceed in their chosen sport.
    I did dancing for most of my child hood, and did ballet and pilates as cross training to improve my dancing. The ballet was for flexibility and strength, and the pilates was for my core.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SilverPenney

The concept of cultural appropriation is absolute bunk. Cultures societies and tribes have mutually shared and taken an interest in each others cultural practices, wears and means since the advent of humanity itself. Like lot of issues these days, this boils down to spoiled little darlings in places like Britain and America feeling a bit put out that they don't have the same obstacles and troubles other people of their demographics (women, non-whites etc) had in generations past, so make up injustices in order feel the self-satisfaction of victimhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Getting great mileage out of this lately, it’s the host’s face that makes it.

t8IHP.gif

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Without cultural appropriation we wouldn't have music as we know it.

I say we need more cultural appropriation, more!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Where's the "I'm Irish and I don't give a flying fcuk" option?

*wakes up* Never mind, found it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Let me state it right away: I don't think this "Cultural Appropriation" malarkey should be a thing at all, but it seems to exercise some minds so let's see what we really think.

Below is a video of an American footballer with clearly very little, if any, Irish heritage who took up Irish dancing because it improves his game. Have a look and then please answer the questions in the poll.

I'd like to vote for both

I'm Irish and I think it's delightful. Fair play to ye, boy! (Irish for Way to go, Big Guy)
    and
    It doesn't matter what I am. I couldn't give a fart in my trousers what he does.

An absolute non event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I love how the ones that yell that we should embrace diversity and multiculturalism are the same ones that yell cultural appropriation if we do embrace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I love how the ones that yell that we should embrace diversity and multiculturalism are the same ones that yell cultural appropriation if we do embrace it.

I'm not sure that's true. I think you're picking a fight with a straw man, sorry, person there.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Without cultural appropriation we wouldn't have music as we know it.

We certainly wouldn't have American music as we know it. All American music is aural miscegenation. And usually dating from a time when real miscegenation (ie sexual contact between different races) was outlawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Ah stop with this nonsense already.

I think all this talk about cultural appropriation is complete and utter bollox, if anything it's just racism. Why wouldn't a black footballer be allowed to take up Irish dancing? Or a white girl wear a Qipao or an asian dude wear dreads?

People have always taken ideas from other cultures and will always do so and usually it's because of admiration or some other positive feeling. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure nobody has ever taken an idea from another culture because they thought it was a bad idea or because they wanted to express anything negative about said culture.

Where do we draw the line? English people drinking tea? Rory Gallagher singing the blues? Eva Cassidy singing gospel? Local chipper selling sweet and sour sauce? What about the Dropkick Murphy's? Non Dutch people building dikes or windmills?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Just waiting for someone to come out now and point out how politically incorrect it is to have 'boy' in the poll referring to an african american :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Never ever heard of this outside that madhouse they call the USA. In Europe not mixing of cultures is purely a right wing thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

Outraged

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Twitter is in a frenzy last few days over a 18 year old usa girl wearing a chinese dress to her prom. Poor girl was put on blast for posting pics of her wearing it and some triggered people are calling disrespectful to their culture even though all she was trying to do was appreciate and share their culture. It's absolutely nonsense in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Voting! As a non Greek person I will get outraged on their behalf because of you appropriating democracy.

Pretty much all culture is cultural appropriation whether it's from the guy next door, the guy from the next hut or whatever. Culture is what it is because it's a shared thing and without people "appropriating" things it will never spread.

Delighted to see that more than 95% of respondents to the poll (at time of writing) have either a positive or "couldn't give a hoot" reaction to this.

Worrying about "Cultural Appropriation" is a load of first-world me arse!!

Advertisement