Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alibi

Options
  • 05-01-2016 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭

Just watching a few episodes of Elementary, and it occurs to me that, should it ever be needed, I hardly ever have anything remotely resembling an alibi for anything. (Posting on boards is not a valid alibi ;))
    In these detective shows, various people all have these various watertight alibis - it seems to be the exception, rather than the rule, where someone has not been with someone else or spotted by someone else, etc. And they can recall it off the top of their head, with little difficulty, whereas I can't even remember what time I got out of bed this afternoon.

What about you, AH? Where were YOU between the hours of midnight and 2am on, say, January 3rd? And can anyone vouch for your whereabouts?

Theoretically, I suppose, this thread could evolve into something of the "Ask the poster below you" ilk, with various arbitrary times and dates being chosen, but you lot are a contrary shower of bast*rds, so I won't hold my breath :P I am curious as to whom I might easily frame for a crime how much of their time people's whereabouts cannot be accounted for...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ficheall wrote: »
    Just watching a few episodes of Elementary, and it occurs to me that, should it ever be needed, I hardly ever have anything remotely resembling an alibi for anything. (Posting on boards is not a valid alibi ;)) In these detective shows, various people all have these various watertight alibis - it seems to be the exception, rather than the rule, where someone has not been with someone else or spotted by someone else, etc. And they can recall it off the top of their head, with little difficulty, whereas I can't even remember what time I got out of bed this afternoon.

What about you, AH? Where were YOU between the hours of midnight and 2am on, say, January 3rd? And can anyone vouch for your whereabouts?

Theoretically, I suppose, this thread could evolve into something of the "Ask the poster below you" ilk, with various arbitrary times and dates being chosen, but you lot are a contrary shower of bast*rds, so I won't hold my breath :P I am curious as to whom I might easily frame for a crime how much of their time people's whereabouts cannot be accounted for...

It is actually. If it comes down to it, it can proven which device you used to post a message, what time it was and where you were when you posted it.

"I was posting on boards!" is not going to work with Gardai Mickey Joe O'Connor down the local station but when its advanced down the line a bit it can be used as evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I never understood why they portray it like this in films.
    I can understand that most would remember where they were if some thing happened to a close friend. let say like I came home and my neighbour was murdered then I would remember that I was out at dinner etc . you would remember because it would be obvious that something happened and you would think about it at the time.

I don't understand how anyone would or could be expected to remember where they were at any given time over a week ago .
    if I was asked where was I between 2 -4 pm 2 days ago I would have to sit down and work it out.

I think it would be more suspicious if you did know where you were. unless there was a good reason (like anniversary, birthday, final of sporting event )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Didn't think of that. That is kind of cool. Thank god for the internet.
    Of course, there are, presumably, ways of cheating that - as with getting someone to lie for you about an alibi, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

At 2am I was banging the missus, the DNA on the sheets can prove it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭BenedrylPete

At 01:59am I was naked hiding in a wardrobe after having been interrupted while banging some wife.

The dna on the sheets can prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I was the wife

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I was the camera man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I like Jonny Lee Miller, but anyone find Elementary to be shoite?

I like the tortoise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If you have a mobile phone you're more than likely to have a decent alibi if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Kirby wrote: »
    It is actually. If it comes down to it, it can proven which device you used to post a message, what time it was and where you were when you posted it.

"I was posting on boards!" is not going to work with Gardai Mickey Joe O'Connor down the local station but when its advanced down the line a bit it can be used as evidence.

Sir, it checks out, he was logged into chuckylovers.org on his PC at the time of the crime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"I was posting on boards!" is not going to work with Gardai Mickey Joe O'Connor down the local station
    Sure he posts on boards himself under the username GMJO'C!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I was the camera man.

I was got quite the shock when a naked fellow jumped into the wardrobe that I was hiding out in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

If anybody asks, I've been here all evening with you, alright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I know exactly where I was Agent Starling. Not any more.
    You'll excuse me now, I'm out of Chianti and I must get to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was here at home by myself. I wasn't even online so the internet thing wouldn't work. My phone was on though, but I have a very basic one.

The other thing I wondered about these programmes was the fingerprints, DNA and dental records. I'm sure the databases are getting bigger, but they seem to be able find these records for most people fairly quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Larry the Logster

Yeah, because no one else could have been using the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Yeah, because no one else could have been using the device.

What if the device posted it itself?

That's what remote control software would make it look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

your mobile phone will give your rough location on the night of the crime

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

that's why you leave your phone at home and use a temporary one to do the remote controlling.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ALiasEX wrote: »
    that's why you leave your phone at home and use a temporary one to do the remote controlling.

I thought we were trying to prove our innocence here not a step by step guide in the art of covering ones tracks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was hiding in the bushes outside your house. It was fecking freezing but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I never understood why they portray it like this in films.

Narrative convenience.

Essentially because this...
    if I was asked where was I between 2 -4 pm 2 days ago I would have to sit down and work it out.

...would make boring television.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ALiasEX wrote: »
    Tell that to Joe O'Reilly twelve years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Your phone will give ITS rough location on the night of the crime.

Take it from me eh, I assume one should leave their phone behind when out doing a bit of the auld murdering:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

My girlfriend and I both have throat and chest infections at the moment, but she went to bed before me and was snoring like a steam train as a result. It was the first day back to work on Monday morning and I needed sleep, so I elected to sleep on the couch. If I recall correctly, I was trying to doze off whilst watching Close Encounters on Discovery Science.

Apart from my sleeping girlfriend, I suppose nobody can vouch for my whereabouts. But I live in an apartment block and there is a CCTV camera in the hallway. If you check that you'll be able to see that I entered earlier in the evening and didn't leave until about 08:27 on Monday morning.

Am I free to go now officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If I'm at home, my next-door neighbour would probably vouch for me. He's fierce nosy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

OP is looking for a list of people who can't verify their whereabouts, so that he can give that list to the Gardaí and throw them off his tail.

Nice try!!!

Advertisement