Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never judge a book by its cover..

Options
  • 05-01-2016 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭

Are you prone to judging books, and people by their covers?

If so, are you usually right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Yes and yes 9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm a great judge of character, and you're the best Mickey Mouse I've ever seen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

"My father said, 'Never judge a book by its cover'. It proved an unpopular opening gambit for his keynote speech at the national conference of illustrators, designers and marketing executives from the publishing industry." - Stewart Lee

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »

When I was younger I often judged people based purely on something superficial. Not anymore. Life has taught me that there is often a hell of a lot more going on inside a person than how they appear. I am often right in my estimation of a person but that doesn't come from the old judging a book by it's cover mentality.The kind of work I do requires me to be very sharp at reading people. It's intuition.

What about you Op? Is it something you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i absolutely hate that phrase.
    total crap . how else do you judge a book. only by its cover. the purpose of the cover is to give you a brief overview so that you can make your mind up whether to read it.

as for people . yes I do judge people by their cover (in this case its their actions when I first meet them)
    my judgement is usually right. iv very rarely met someone who acted like a horrible person but wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

When I was younger I often judged people based purely on something superficial. Not anymore. Life has taught me that there is often a hell of a lot more going on inside a person than how they appear. I am often right in my estimation of a person but that doesn't come from the old judging a book by it's cover mentality.The kind of work I do requires me to be very sharp at reading people. It's intuition.

What about you Op? Is it something you do?

Yes, I am trying to get out of the habit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

IN the field I work in I get regular client evaluations and generally they match what I think they will say!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »

Books I judge by their cover all the time, just take a look around any book store or library and I'm usually spot on.

People, of course I judge them on how they look, and usually I'm fairly spot on about that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Stheno wrote: »
    IN the field I work in I get regular client evaluations and generally they match what I think they will say!

AND WOULD YOU GET MUCH WORK OUT IN THIS FIELD?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

AND WOULD YOU GET MUCH WORK OUT IN THIS FIELD?

Eh yeah, pretty much booked up from now until April

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm out standing in my field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement