Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support the reintroduction of capital punishment in Ireland if the

Options
  • 23-01-2021 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Council of Europe didn’t forbid it

Some crimes are truly deserving of it and there’s simply no rehabilitation for some.

What method would you advocate?

Which method? 11 votes

I’m against it at all costs
    0%
    Long drop hanging
    72%
    Zaphjam_mac_jamBrussels SproutConchir[Deleted User]alchemist33angel eyes 2012whisky_galore 8 votes
    Shooting
    9%
    Flit clicker 1 vote
    Gas
    0%
    Electrocution
    0%
    Burning
    9%
    ConcertKing 1 vote
    Drowning
    0%
    Crucifixion
    0%
    Boiling
    0%
    Something else
    9%
    .anon. 1 vote

Comments

Council of Europe didn’t forbid it

Some crimes are truly deserving of it and there’s simply no rehabilitation for some.

What method would you advocate?

Any one raping/killing kids should be gibbetted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What does capital punishment achieve other than satisfy people’s need for revenge?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

It’s not a deterrent so no, I wouldn’t support it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hermy wrote: »
    What does capital punishment achieve other than satisfy people’s need for revenge?

I'd have to agree with this. I'm becoming a lot more moderate in my views as I get older, I just don't see the need for the death penalty nowadays.

I do think we need a reform of our sentencing system, particularly for repeat offenders. Community Service should be utilised much, much more.

Have them out scraping gum off O Connell Street for 6 months for minor, repeat offences as an eg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Long drop hanging
    Nope. It's not a deterrent - murder rates in US states with the death penalty are no lower than in states without it. And try as you might to keep it for "when we're really sure", miscarriages of justice will happen. Ask yourself, and try to put a number on it, how many innocent people are you happy with the state killing so you can have the death penalty?

Lifelong prison, manual labour, solitary etc for the worst criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Long drop hanging
    Boiling? Jesus Christ OP - you may as well add "The Breaking Wheel" while you're at it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Necro wrote: »
    I do think we need a reform of our sentencing system...

Sentencing for serious crimes needs to be harsher - life sentences should be 25 years minimum.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Chemical Castrate the dirty buggers doing anything toward kids

Political or white collar crime locked in stocks and drip fed gazpacho

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Smee_Again wrote: »
    It’s not a deterrent so no, I wouldn’t support it.

By your same logic neither is prison a deterrent because there is still utterly heinous crimes committed

• Advertisement

Most pettycrimes I'd lock the ****ers in solitary confinement with tofu and alcohol free booze as nourishment plus a bucket for when they crack and start to eat their own excremen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭elperello

gary550 wrote: »
    By your same logic neither is prison a deterrent because there is still utterly heinous crimes committed

There is no fool proof locked down 100% reliable deterrent.

Armed with that knowledge do you want to kill criminals or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Something else
    At first, I thought "no, not under any circumstances, it's barbaric". But then boiling was mentioned. I think criminals should be boiled. And also some people who aren't criminals. Boil them. Boil them all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

OP has closed their account so on that basis it looks like they got their answer.

Thread Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement