Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Resolution 2021 - Improve as a Person

Options
  • 03-01-2021 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

A large ask, but my resolution this year is life improvement. I have some ideas, but would welcome others.

1. Start weight lifting (instead of exclusively cardio).

2. Say "yes" more to social invites.
    3. Read at least one book a fortnight.

4. Meditate for 5-10 minutes per day.

5. Wear nicer clothes day-to-day, instead of sweats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

No social invites these days.
    Where you going to wear these nice clothes to?
    Meditation takes longer than 5 mins.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

Given the news over the past few days I've decided to limit my resolution for this year to "Don't die".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

PeterPan92 wrote: »
    A large ask, but my resolution this year is life improvement. I have some ideas, but would welcome others.

Long year ahead and all listed are possible, even social invites. Good for you. Start small. Pick doable goals.
    Re meditation, yes you need to do it for longer to reap benefits, unless you get trained in dynamic meditation akin to Silva Method etc.
    But to even manage to do passive meditation for 5-10 minutes will be a feat. So go for it all and reap the benefits. Good luck.
    Ps re weights, try Hindu pushups, Hindu squats and Burpees for a month or two before you go near weights. You might find you won't want to lift weights. Unless you find it enjoyable, which I always did. But get stuck into Hindu squats and pushups and you will develop a great physique but, more importantly, animal strength right down into your sinews.

PPs if you really want to transform your life, learn to breathe. Study it. Study Wim Hof, study holotropic breathing, study energy breathing techniques of Joseph Weed (Wisdom of the Mystic Masters) and study rhythmic breathing for eg creative visualisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I cannot recommend highly enough incorporating meditation into your day. It's like a good run for your brain.

There's a load of McMindfulness apps around looking for you to give them €10 a month for a practice that costs nothing. Headspace, Calm etc. They do work, but there's no need to spend a cent on the practice of meditation.

If you have an iPhone then there's a wonderful app called Oak that costs nothing and has more than enough to get you started with guided meditations. It's a matter of making time to do it each morning and evening that seems to put people off at the beginning. Just make time. I now consider it as important for my wellbeing as brushing my teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

No social invites these days.
    Where you going to wear these nice clothes to?
    Meditation takes longer than 5 mins.

Good luck.
    I thought the very same!

I think goal should be to think more positively. :p

• Advertisement

I thought the very same!

I think goal should be to think more positively. :p

Haha I know. I bought a rake of new clothes and went nowhere so I'm bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

PeterPan92 wrote: »

Some of those are self-contradictory.

If your going to be lifting weights in addition to cardio and reading books as well, in actuality that's a huge amount of time sucked up.

Wearing nicer clothes is defiantly better than wearing sweats. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Long year ahead and all listed are possible, even social invites. Good for you. Start small. Pick doable goals.
    Re meditation, yes you need to do it for longer to reap benefits, unless you get trained in dynamic meditation akin to Silva Method etc.
    But to even manage to do passive meditation for 5-10 minutes will be a feat. So go for it all and reap the benefits. Good luck.
    Ps re weights, try Hindu pushups, Hindu squats and Burpees for a month or two before you go near weights. You might find you won't want to lift weights. Unless you find it enjoyable, which I always did. But get stuck into Hindu squats and pushups and you will develop a great physique but, more importantly, animal strength right down into your sinews.

PPs if you really want to transform your life, learn to breathe. Study it. Study Wim Hof, study holotropic breathing, study energy breathing techniques of Joseph Weed (Wisdom of the Mystic Masters) and study rhythmic breathing for eg creative visualisation.

Thanks for all that info on meditation, breathing and exercise. I will look them up with great interest. I hadn't heard of any one of these techniques...

The kudalinli meditation (spelling) is very good if you give it a go. I joined a group doing it ages ago. It's all about opening up your mind and heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Just going easy on the sauce for 2021. Ever since March and WFH the units per week have gotten a bit out of hand.

So the gargle is off limits bar the weekends. Then a few well-earned lagers. That’ll do me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Headspace is great as an intoduction to med, im gonna start again today. Also off sauce, which means I was awake at 5am. My sleep is terrible while drinking and while not drinking in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Northernlily

KungPao wrote: »
    Just going easy on the sauce for 2021. Ever since March and WFH the units per week have gotten a bit out of hand.

So the gargle is off limits bar the weekends. Then a few well-earned lagers. That’ll do me.

Same for me and add deliveroo to the list. Saved a good bit last year but sickened at how much I could have saved if I cut out the adhoc drinking and multiple weekly takeaways.

Big goal this year is to buy myself a property to develop so just doing the above will go a long way towards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 emeraldaisy

Your goals sound great!

I think the first couple could be more specific/actionable though to ensure they're clear/smart as possible. For example, I think being more specific on your 'weight lifting' training goal like saying what type of weight lifting, or how many times per week you want to do it, or what do you want to achieve, or what effect you want it to have on your body? maybe you wish to become stronger, be able to do pull ups, build muscle mass, tone up, or built strength to lift heavier and heavier weights? etc. That might help you to define exactly what are you trying to achieve with it. How will you measure success/know you've done well?

I started Meditation recently. It's amazing! But FYI - it's best to practice meditation for 15 or 20 mins at least. So would aim for 10-15mins at least.

In terms of social invites goal, yeah that might be tough during current restrictions but it seems like you want to have 'social connection', with people overall - would that be a fair assumption to make? In which case, perhaps while we're in lockdown, you could aim to still have social goals but make them more around catching up with friends/family more often (e.g. ensuring you're calling a different friend/family member once a week or getting friends together for catch ups via Zoom once a fortnight). Just a thought!

In terms of other ideas - I've got a few I'm working on:
    - Eating healthier, fresher food at each meal.
    - Getting into a better habit of rising earlier - 7am in the mornings (to fit in meditation/ reading /me time easier).
    - Making more sustainable choices ie. recycling more, buying products with sustainable packaging, reducing plastic consumption etc.
    - Self development books - read 10 this year.

Trying to educate myself more too and just reduce my impact on the planet this year. I bought some nice reusable shopping tote bags to stop using plastic bags for my shopping to get me off to a better start! I've watched a lot of David Attenborough over Xmas and I'm so sad about what's happening to our environment.

Hope this helps! And best of luck for 2021.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Don't die of covid-19

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

1. Take every day as it comes
    2. Be kind to myself
    3. Be kind to others
    4. Take no sh1t off anyone

Advertisement