Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do some hate cats?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

I have 2 cats myself and love them. I dislike when people say cats are evil I think that impression comes from movies, they were often portrayed that way, but there is no truth to that. Some here making a comparison with dogs how dogs love your company, true, but I can absolutely tell you one of my cats in particular follows me around the house and always sits on the sofa with me in the evenings. She rubs her head off mine and the vet told me that is actually a good sign because it means she and I are best friends and she trusts me.
    OK bear with me here, i play classical music to them and they just love it, seriously you would want to see them totally relax and sleep to it, ears twitching tuning in, its hilarious.
    I find it very therapeutic to just watch and observe them, and their purring is fabulous.

So that's my experience with cats they honestly are brilliant pets, so mysterious and curious about everything. When I come in with groceries I put the bags on the floor and they go snooping and smelling whats in it for them.
    Gotta love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

You need intelligence to understand a cat vs a dog.

Cats are nuanced, introspective animals that enjoy rest and solitude. A cat will let you know if and when they want your attention. And only on their terms.

They are professional bastards but you need to understand a cat. Dogs are just down for having the craic 24/7. Completely different beasts.

I dare say the average person hasn't the patience or the critical thought to understand a cat, they're sophisticated animals after all.

If I was an animal, I'd definitely be a cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

They scutter in me flower beds and on me lawn. Would love if they all got run over by the bin truck to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭obi604

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Don't particularly mind cats they're grand theres a few around near me, they don't do much but I did get a labrador pup at the start of the year and when out in the garden on his own you could see the few cats stalking him from different angles. They are still ruthless killers. Dont know if even 3 or 4 of them could even kill an 8 week old lab or if they'd ever work together but maybe they could. They were definitely looking to have a cut off him though. I had to chase them away a few times. I can hear them fighting amongst themselves sometimes it can be vicious enough.

Dog is 30kgs now and haven't seen any of the cats near the garden in a long time but the dog absolutely hates cats he goes nuts if he sees one. He will even just look at birds and squirrels and ducks in the park with interest as to what they're doing but doesn't want to attack them or even chase them. Loves every other dog and person he's ever met but cats bring out a side in him nothing else does. I'd say he had a run in with one that he hasn't forgiven, I stopped supervising him in garden when he got big enough.

Dirty f3ckin cats. 3 or 4 stalking him. This is why I hate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Zaph wrote: »
    I don't like cats, but I'd never hurt one deliberately, and anyone who did should be prosecuted for it. As for why I don't like them, in my experience a dog is generally happy to see you when you walk in the door, whereas a cat couldn't give a crap. If I was to have a pet I'd want one that wanted to be with me as much as I wanted to be with it, not one that was indifferent to me.

I think that is just your mis-interpretation of their behaviour based on the way dogs behave.

Can't don't pant like a dog, or have the character of a dog, which is why one might choose to have both, but the idea a cat is not happy to see you is wrong. Cat's are hugely affectionate. They are not 'indifferent' to you, that's just the way you interpret their behaviour based on the way dogs behave.

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    They scutter in me flower beds and on me lawn. Would love if they all got run over by the bin truck to be honest

Meooooooooow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Like cats, cool cold blooded killer animals. Hunt for fun like (some) humans, a trait we share.

You know where you stand with them. Some people get obsessed with them though and think they should have the same rights as humans.

Dogs will always be number one for me however, man's best friend for a reason.

weemcd wrote: »
    You need intelligence to understand a cat vs a dog.

Cats are nuanced, introspective animals that enjoy rest and solitude. A cat will let you know if and when they want your attention. And only on their terms.

They are professional bastards but you need to understand a cat. Dogs are just down for having the craic 24/7. Completely different beasts.

I dare say the average person hasn't the patience or the critical thought to understand a cat, they're sophisticated animals after all.

If I was an animal, I'd definitely be a cat.

Yeah, and you've be safe in the knowledge your owner won't try to race you or put you down if you don't run fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I like when someone tells me that they don't like cats because then I can avoid that person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

People who hate cats are often fairly dim.

And more comfortable with a relationship based on submission and unconditional adoration rather than companionship with an equal. :)

Kilboor wrote: »
    Like cats, cool cold blooded killer animals. Hunt for fun like (some) humans, a trait we share.

You know where you stand with them. Some people get obsessed with them though and think they should have the same rights as humans.

Dogs will always be number one for me however, man's best friend for a reason.

I can't help but think of that viral video some year ago where a cat saved a baby from a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Cats are just like their owners ... weirdos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

538091.jpg

Of course cats can be trained ;)

In unrelated news I'm off to bargain alerts for a new pair of headphones. :pac:

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I like when someone tells me that they don't like cats because then I can avoid that person

Ever notice how cat-dislikers just have to tell you about it? I don't dislike dogs but I'm not good around them either because I don't trust them. I don't, however, feel the need to inform every dog-lover I meet about it.

Cats are just like their owners ... weirdos

Don't blame the cat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cats are awesome. We had a few strays that used to use our garden as a passageway from the main road to the the rest of the estate, but they eventually adopted us and got really affectionately friendly. Our next door neighbour's cat tried to move in with us as well. Alas, one got hit by a car, one died in a house fire, and the other had to be put down because it had cat AIDS. :( They all had different personalities, and they didn't always get on with each other, but they brightened up our lives for a couple of years!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I like birds. Cats decimate bird populations so that puts them in my dislike category.

No, they don't.

538091.jpg

Of course cats can be trained ;)

In unrelated news I'm off to bargain alerts for a new pair of headphones. :pac:

that pic is eating up all my bandwidth. I blame the cat!

Cats kill birds but it's not like dogs are angels either.

Indeed. How many small children are savaged every year by cats?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Feisar wrote: »
    I hate our neighbours because their cats used to shít in our garden. We have a small child who I didn’t want to go blind from cat shít. I had to trap them and drown them. Not fùcking pleasant.

The poor child...

• Advertisement

Feisar wrote: »
    For the two funnies above it’s not pleasant

Dead right it's not pleasant what you said, whatever way you look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

I grew up with cats and dogs in the house and the key difference is cats don’t automatically give unconditional respect or consider you their“owner.” You’re their family / housemate but you’ll never be the boss of a cat. They don’t do hierarchy.

They’re very affectionate, loyal, play games and all of those things but if you aren’t particularly nice to them they’ll make absolutely no effort either.

Dogs crave approval and attention and will be loyal to any asshat. Cats will absolutely judge you.

I think that’s why some people don’t like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Cats > Dogs

This lady is 12 this year, rarely goes outside now, loves her comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I have a fear of cats that started when I was a kid. It's quite hard to manage this fear/phobia living in the burbs where cats just roam free all day long, roam into my garden and into my house if I leave the back door open. I really wish that cats were kept in their owners homes like all other pets.

Since some are going down the vicious cat route, and I never intended to mention this; when I was a child 4/5 my grandparents dog mauled me. I was taken to hospital and I have one Mr Spock ear ever since. I'm sorry about what happened to that dog as a consequence, but cat's never attack humans viciously. So that's one up for cats if it's a dog vs cat thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Closed, not re-opening, always a few that have to ruin a thread for everyone else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement