Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mary Robinson/Norma Foley tone

• 31-12-2020 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭

How do people end up speaking in such an out of touch wiyh the common man and woman tone.

Saying words you'd only see written down like "espousing"

I can't describe it well (being a common man etc) but when you hear them speak and the way they present themselves youd see it

Are there special schools they goto to get like that. It's like the rod up their butt has a rod up its butt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

How do people end up speaking in such an out of touch wiyh the common man and woman tone.

I can't describe it well (being a common man etc) but when you hear them speak and the way they present themselves youd see it

Are there special schools they goto to get like that. It's like the rod up their butt has a rod up its butt

Just ordinary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Answered your own question.
    special schools

I genuinely think she's an automaton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Michael Diaspora Higgins is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What's wrong with espousing? Certain words capture exactly what the person is thinking in their head. I don't see what the alternative is, unless you want them to speak like Donald Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Is there something wrong with someone having a decent vocabulary now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Degag wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with someone having a decent vocabulary now?

Perfectly cromulent words.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

So basically what you're saying is the most important thing to be a leader is to be as thick as two short planks and have a narrow vocabulary to ensure you don't upset anyone with words they are unfamiliar with?

See: Donald Trump. That worked out well!

2020s anti-intellectualism at its finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

There must surely be an in between.

Maybe Leo... dropped down a couple of notches.

Albert Reynolds, Enda Kenny, Tony Blair, Bill Clinton, JFK. All perfectly fine speaking regular folk language.

I'm not even going into their politics. I'm saying speak regular English that doesn't alienate most of the electorate.

I noticed there you did a quick edit from 'ostracise' to 'alienate.' Good on ya! You can't be confusing the electorate with your book learnin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

There must surely be an in between.

Maybe Leo... dropped down a couple of notches.

Albert Reynolds, Enda Kenny, Tony Blair, Bill Clinton, JFK. All perfectly fine speaking regular folk language.

I'm not even going into their politics. I'm saying speak regular English that doesn't alienate most of the electorate.

I think the best communicators are able to articulate complex ideas in regular language. I really like the political economist Mark Blyth in this regard. But it's an extremely hard thing to do and it depends on the subject/issue being discussed. Sometimes it's just not possible to speak about a topic by keeping it simple stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

There are two types of people. Those, with healthy self-esteem, who hear words like espouse, might not understand what it means but they look it up and learn something new. Then there are those who hear the same word, don't understand it and, in their insecurity, determine that the person uttering such words are full of themselves or passive-aggressively mocking and belittling them.

valoren wrote: »
    There are two types of people. Those, with healthy self-esteem, who hear words like espouse, moght not understand what it means but look it up and learn something new. Then there are those who hear the same word, don't understand it and, in their insecurity, determine that the person uttering such words are full of themselves or passive-aggrrssively mocking and belittling them.

So many big words there:

self-esteem = how they feel inside about themselves.
    insecurity = a bit shaky
    uttering = speaking or saying, like.
    passive-agressive = being a w---ker
    belittling = making people feel like sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Speaks in those breathy, whispery tones peculiar to Wesht of Arland educated arty types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Leave Miggeldy alone! The man is a national treasure and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

What perplexes (confuses) me is that she's a former principal. These days, you need to have a highly attuned (sensitive) radar for what level of comprehension (understanding) the group you're talking to has. Also organisational skills. A modicum (small, undefined amount) of compassion and relatability. Also the illusion that you have a handle on anything you're responsible for.

Honestly if we could put one Irish person in the bin this year it should be her.

I don't see why she should have to watch her language because people are getting stupider..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

What perplexes (confuses) me is that she's a former principal. These days, you need to have a highly attuned (sensitive) radar for what level of comprehension (understanding) the group you're talking to has. Also organisational skills. A modicum (small, undefined amount) of compassion and relatability. Also the illusion that you have a handle on anything you're responsible for.

Honestly if we could put one Irish person in the bin this year it should be her.

Hang on....she had a UK no.1 in the late 80s with Orinoco Flow.....the woman’s a national treasure....

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

That's a load of shíte (shíte).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What perplexes me is that she's a minister at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Sorry I bothered with this thread

Her dad was also a politician. I really wish they made it illegal for people to get politician jobs cos of what mammy or daddy does. Generation after generation it breeds fools

More the fool those who vote them in. May as well have a house of lords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Whats scary is these light weights have control now, people (irish citizens) vote for this type of mess, it'll take another 100 years.

Why would you make it illegal. She was elected by a constituency.

The main reason people who have politicians as relatives tend to find their way into politics is that it's just obvious to them that you can go out, campaign and get elected. They're not just dropped in by their parent or whatever. They just know how to run a campaign.

If we want to get feilds opened up to broader choices of candidates, we need to get people more involved in politics earlier and that's up to political parties' culture. Eg: still have abysmally poor female representation, which seems to be entirely down to party culture.

The biggest issue at the moment is that if you stand you're torn apart by social media viciousness. I've seen a few people from a range of political points of view and parties take their first steps into local government, get their fingers badly burnt by how they were treated online and decide they'd be better off just going back to being a teacher, running a shop, being an accountant or whatever it was that they usually do. The world seems to hate politicians who just came from grass roots these days and prefers nice non-politicians, who won bigly on social media like Trump.

Hold politicians to account, but at the same time realise they're mostly (not all) very decent, normal people putting themselves out there to represent their communities and improve things and that applies to the whole spectrum from independents to the full range of parties on the left, the centre and the right. You might not agree with them all but the vast majority of them are out there with good motives.

We're rapidly getting to a stage where nobody in their right mind would stand as a politician. We're not quite there yet but we're on that path. The US is much further ahead and look what you end up with: a whole load of high office holderd who either aren't in their right mind or who are in office for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

valoren wrote: »
    There are two types of people. Those, with healthy self-esteem, who hear words like espouse, might not understand what it means but they look it up and learn something new. Then there are those who hear the same word, don't understand it and, in their insecurity, determine that the person uttering such words are full of themselves or passive-aggressively mocking and belittling them.
    no worra i meen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I like that they don’t dumb it down. It would be worse if they assumed that the general public were too lumpen to understand big words. My friends used to tease me for sounding like I “swallowed a dictionary” in school. Maybe they could crack a book every once in a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Leave Miggeldy alone! The man is a national treasure and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise!

He's a superannuated, self regarding, spoofer. The living mascot of the Saoirse Touchy-Feely brigade

Advertisement