Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tipperary Town- what the he’ll happened?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

You cross the amount of hookers with the town population, tells you everything you need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It’s like everyone has given up in life. Half the townspeople were very nice and the other half were very rude. Everyone there is either overweight or gummy mouthed (even teenagers, Colgate dodgers) and stink of cannabis or alcohol. 50% of the shops on the main street are closed and derelict. I was last in this town in 2010 mid recession and it wasn’t this bad. Talk about recovery.

My Dad is from Tipp (not Tipp Town) and as long as I've been aware Tipp Town has always been regarded as an absolute kip..

Don't think it's a new phenomena

kfrp wrote: »
    Most towns in Tipp are kips though.

Carrick On Suir
    Clonmel
    Tipperary

All places best avoided

Carrick and Clonmel are not in the same league at all as Tipperary Town

Is it bleaker than Ballina?

not sure

but it's probably on a par with Ballyhaunis

ah the childhood memories

<shudders>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

lawred2 wrote: »
    My Dad is from Tipp (not Tipp Town) and as long as I've been aware Tipp Town has always been regarded as an absolute kip..

Don't think it's a new phenomena

There is nothing pretty about the town and it has next to no industry. It is an old garrison town; in fact the British Army barracks there was very big. There was some urban myth about the plans for a barracks in India ending up being built in Tipp!

In a world of 24hr/7 day weeks there is something quaint/charming about the half day Wednesday!

I've always liked the people from surrounding areas and while not the most popular it has some pretty countryside.

Clonmel is a different kettle of fish; which in spite of a lot of well paid jobs, a wealthy agricultural hinterland, horsey country to the north (another leftover from British Army) has a town centre which has nosedived in last 20 years.

They have actually managed to, in less than 25 years, give tax breaks to urban renew a derelict area of town get it up running and thriving (Super Quinn area) and get it back to derelict. It's a town that has been failed by its local authority with planning given to everything on outskirts while through rates/parking charges and no new development (Clonmel Arms Hotel site, O'Connell Mall and Tesco centres all closed) the town centre has gone to pot.

This type of planning (or it's complete absence) has fcuked a lot of other towns also throughout the country.

In the same 25 years Dungarvan has gone it opposite direction and now has a tourist industry and is a nice place to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

tastyt wrote: »
    Worked in tipp town for 4/5 years back in the day. The place really needs a facelift and a lot of investment, it does look very drab.

One thing I will disagree with though is people saying the place is full of scrotes or whatever. I can honestly say there are a huge amount of great people in tipp town , a lot nicer than some from neighbouring towns that think a lot of themselves

Yeah so if Tipp town has a population of 5000 as per last figures available and 20% of them are scrotes thats only 1000 if you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tip is just awful, I used to do delivery drops there every week, I also did Cahir and it's striking how one seemed fairly okay when compared to the other, Carrick and Clonmel are also contrasting in their overall vibe. For former sleepy, the latter busy.

Taken as a whole Co Tipp probably has the least enticing collection of towns in the country - only Cahir and Cashel can hold their heads up a bit. Thurles is a hole of a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,314 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

ford2600 wrote: »
    There is nothing pretty about the town and it has next to no industry. It is an old garrison town; in fact the British Army barracks there was very big. There was some urban myth about the plans for a barracks in India ending up being built in Tipp!

In a world of 24hr/7 day weeks there is something quaint/charming about the half day Wednesday!

I've always liked the people from surrounding areas and while not the most popular it has some pretty countryside.

Clonmel is a different kettle of fish; which in spite of a lot of well paid jobs, a wealthy agricultural hinterland, horsey country to the north (another leftover from British Army) has a town centre which has nosedived in last 20 years.

They have actually managed to, in less than 25 years, give tax breaks to urban renew a derelict area of town get it up running and thriving (Super Quinn area) and get it back to derelict. It's a town that has been failed by its local authority with planning given to everything on outskirts while through rates/parking charges and no new development (Clonmel Arms Hotel site, O'Connell Mall and Tesco centres all closed) the town centre has gone to pot.

This type of planning (or it's complete absence) has fcuked a lot of other towns also throughout the country.

In the same 25 years Dungarvan has gone it opposite direction and now has a tourist industry and is a nice place to visit.

I think with these towns they need to follow the dutch model. Most have ring roads so get rid of cars and turn the town into an area where people go to relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

I hate having to drive through the place. It's an awful dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,151 ✭✭✭✭josip

Grayson wrote: »
    I think with these towns they need to follow the dutch model. Most have ring roads so get rid of cars and turn the town into an area where people go to relax.

Yup, with a 4m high chainlink fence on the inside of the ring road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

This is not news, place has always been a dump. Look at it this way, when Carrick on Suir and Thurles can legitimately look down their noses at you, your town is f*cked.

Oi, nothing wrong with Thurles :D

Anywhere can be what you want it to be but you have to make it that way. You can go around all day complaining about a town and make it Sh!t in your mind but don't expect a collection of inanimate buildings to make a town good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,314 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Oi, nothing wrong with Thurles :D

Anywhere can be what you want it to be but you have to make it that way. You can go around all day complaining about a town and make it Sh!t in your mind but don't expect a collection of inanimate buildings to make a town good for you.

To be fair, they do shape the space. A main st filled with bookies, discount stores and the occasional pub is going to have a sh1t vibe.

(Note: I haven't been in Tipp in 20 years. I'm drawing that example from a lot of towns in the UK where the high street has been abandoned. And I'm just saying it to show hat a crappy main st can do to a town.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I used to travel through Tipp town twice a week 15 years ago and it was a Sh1t hole then . worse than clonmel or carrick but still not as bad as athy ,

goog god that place is a toilet

the kind of toilet you'd find in Morocco in a dysentery ward after the cleaner was off or a week

I remember doing a promotion for The Munster Express in Tipp town years ago, I was just handing out free papers. At least 10 people told me "No thanks, I'm illiterate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Edz87 wrote: »
    I remember doing a promotion for The Munster Express in Tipp town years ago, I was just handing out free papers. At least 10 people told me "No thanks, I'm illiterate"

That's a lie anyway.. they wouldn't have big fancy words like illiterate. "I can't read nor write boy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Would like to see a short list of the things that make Tipp Town such a hole, according to so many people on here.

I've driven through it plenty of times on the way to Limerick and back and it doesn't 'appear' to qualify as your typical rural Irish shíthole by virtue of the fact that theres always plenty of people milling around, it's obviously thronged with traffic and every shop on both sides of the street seems to be, if not open, at least in business. None of your usual boarded up shopfronts, empty streets bar a stray dog and general atmosphere of wrist sliting depression that go hand in hand with awful kips of towns.

If ye think Tipp is bad, I could show you a thing or two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Do what Limerick did??? Are you serious? Have you been in the city centre after noon on a Friday or Saturday? It's lost its old charm completely! And as for regeneration?? All that's happened there is a load of undesirables have been exported to other areas of Limerick county, or worse still out to parts of Tipp and Clare to infect them with their particular brand of entitlement. No sir, Limerick is not the shining example that Tipp town should follow!

I'm serious. When I stack regeneration against YOUR effort to fix the problem, regeneration wins kid. Every time.

The programme is not finished either. It got stalled due to national finance issues in crash.

Limerick's name was mud when that family feud thing was running. There was no other reason for the town to end up in the national papers, apart from the odd rugby match.

They turned to focus on the positive and things have improved drastically from what they were. It is moving onward and upward. Year of culture, opera centre, Troy studios, riverpoint, international hanging gardens, 2030 project, Great Limerick Run etc.

Tipp town needs the same positive changes right now. They don't have to reinvent the wheel there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

It needs something to keep young people in the area. It has an aging population who are slow to embrace change.

It's proximity to Limerick is a huge problem as industries will be more inclined to set up near an port or airport. And with the state of the N24 from Waterford / Rosslare it's not going to attract business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Samsgirl wrote: »
    It needs something to keep young people in the area. It has an aging population who are slow to embrace change.

It's proximity to Limerick is a huge problem as industries will be more inclined to set up near an port or airport. And with the state of the N24 from Waterford / Rosslare it's not going to attract business.

They could start by upgrading the pothole infested road in the kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I stayed in a hotel in the middle of the town about 8 or 9 years ago. A green building across from either a Lidl or Aldi.

The place was falling. There was a sign in the bathroom saying to let the water run for a few minutes before it will come out of the tap. You'd need hearing protection because of the noise coming from the pipes. The window wouldn't close. The place was a kip.

But here's the best bit.

I went down to check out and as I walked up to reception, part of the ceiling collapsed and water came pouring down. It just missed me.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I stayed in a hotel in the middle of the town about 8 or 9 years ago. A green building across from either a Lidl or Aldi.

The place was falling. There was a sign in the bathroom saying to let the water run for a few minutes before it will come out of the tap. You'd need hearing protection because of the noise coming from the pipes. The window wouldn't close. The place was a kip.

But here's the best bit.

I went down to check out and as I walked up to reception, part of the ceiling collapsed and water came pouring down. It just missed me.

The Times Hotel!! Still open I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Tip is just awful, I used to do delivery drops there every week, I also did Cahir and it's striking how one seemed fairly okay when compared to the other, Carrick and Clonmel are also contrasting in their overall vibe. For former sleepy, the latter busy.

Taken as a whole Co Tipp probably has the least enticing collection of towns in the country - only Cahir and Cashel can hold their heads up a bit. Thurles is a hole of a place.

The GAA fans love Thurles in the hurling season. Especially the ones from Cork. There’s an air of the Wild West about the place on a big match day.
    Beer
    Ice cream
    Chips out of a van
    Hats and scarves off a stall
    Pushing and shoving at the turnstile
    You can lie down in the sun with a can anywhere you like and the Gardai don’t give a damn.
    It’s great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Haha I know it well. First time I stopped there to fill up and I noticed dogs running around the place. Wondered what was going on.

Realised when leaving that the knackers have the place surrounded.

This thread is mad. I've never been to Tipp town or the outskirts but some give the impression making it out to be as appealing as a holiday to some Chechen backwater circa 1995.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

This thread is mad. I've never been to Tipp town or the outskirts but some give the impression as making it out to be as appealing as a holiday to some Chechen backwater circa 1995.

It’s bleak though. The atmosphere is woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s bleak though. The atmosphere is woeful.

I kind of want to go there now to check the place out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Really liking your username with this post. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Unfortunately it'll almost certainly not live down to expectations!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Maybe my memory is bad but does it have/had a big harp on the wall outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's no different than 20 other similar towns in Ireland. That said it's has its own distinct history and is fairly laid back place imo. Some good places to eat and drink as well

Intersting fact: Robert Emmets family's burial plot is in Mary's Church in the town. ...

Think so alright

• Advertisement

Here ya go

Was the club there called time bomb?

Was the club there called time bomb?

Mr Sam informes me that there was indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

gozunda wrote: »
    Some good places to eat and drink as well

Had a rather spectacular seafood chowder today in a new looking café on Main Street. Waitress was lovely and pleasant.

I haven't stopped in Tipp Town in a few years other than the purchase of a 465xp chainsaw about two years ago. Chainsaws and chowder don't know does that say more about me or Tipp Town

They are redoing the main road, about time; it reminded me of Kiev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

ford2600 wrote: »
    Had a rather spectacular seafood chowder today in a new looking café on Main Street. Waitress was lovely and pleasant.

I haven't stopped in Tipp Town in a few years other than the purchase of a 465xp chainsaw about two years ago. Chainsaws and chowder don't know does that say more about me or Tipp Town

They are redoing the main road, about time; it reminded me of Kiev

Do they use chainsaws to prepare the chowder?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

We’ve had threads on this many times before. It’s almost unanimously agreed that that Tipperary town is quite possibly the worst, most run down town in all of Ireland. It appears to have absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever.

Building a bypass when it eventually happens will put it out of sight and mind of those using the N24. Doubt it will make any improvement. It would require massive inward investment and redevelopment to improve the place and I don’t see that forthcoming.

County Tipp has some nice towns - Cahir is lovely, Cashel is nice, Clonmel is ok but could do more with its waterfront, Thurles is so so. Nenagh and Roscrea - meh, not great. Terryglass village in the far north of the county on Lough Derg is a gem.

But Tipp town is a complete write off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭snotboogie

topper75 wrote: »
    Do what Limerick did??? Are you serious? Have you been in the city centre after noon on a Friday or Saturday?  It's lost its old charm completely! And as for regeneration?? All that's happened there is a load of undesirables have been exported to other areas of Limerick county, or worse still out to parts of Tipp and Clare to infect them with their particular brand of entitlement. No sir, Limerick is not the shining example that Tipp town should follow!

I'm serious. When I stack regeneration against YOUR effort to fix the problem, regeneration wins kid. Every time.

The programme is not finished either. It got stalled due to national finance issues in crash.

Limerick's name was mud when that family feud thing was running. There was no other reason for the town to end up in the national papers, apart from the odd rugby match.

They turned to focus on the positive and things have improved drastically from what they were. It is moving onward and upward. Year of culture, opera centre, Troy studios, riverpoint, international hanging gardens, 2030 project, Great Limerick Run etc.

Tipp town needs the same positive changes right now. They don't have to reinvent the wheel there.
    Greater Limerick City has over 100k people, an international airport, a major port, a university and a significant multinational presence. Tipp town has 5k people, it's in a completely different category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did we not have a definitive kip thread going?

General consensus was that we either flood or bypass the midlands

Tipp town probably Ireland's only place that actually looks worse in good weather. Wife beaters and cans of Dutch gold everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

JupiterKid wrote: »
    We’ve had threads on this many times before. It’s almost unanimously agreed that that Tipperary town is quite possibly the worst, most run down town in all of Ireland. It appears to have absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever.

Building a bypass when it eventually happens will put it out of sight and mind of those using the N24. Doubt it will make any improvement. It would require massive inward investment and redevelopment to improve the place and I don’t see that forthcoming.

County Tipp has some nice towns - Cahir is lovely, Cashel is nice, Clonmel is ok but could do more with its waterfront, Thurles is so so. Nenagh and Roscrea - meh, not great. Terryglass village in the far north of the county on Lough Derg is a gem.

But Tipp town is a complete write off.

Yeah Terryglass is cool, I spent a lot of time there as a child, out on the water.

Nenagh is ok, big oul place with good employment.

Roscrea suffered a lot in this regard over the past 20 years with the closure of major employers like the Antigen Pharmaceutical Plant and Offray Ribbon factory. They've never really replaced these jobs.

On the social side I've noticed a big improvement in the town over the last few years, the 'Roscrea Stands Up' action group did great work in tackling the drug crime issue. The place looks a lot better these days also, they came third overall in the national Tidy Towns competition a year or two back. Some nice heritage sites to market as well.

The Tipp Town community should follow their example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement