Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm tree and giant clock in the liffey?

Options
  • 29-04-2018 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Is it true at one point over the years there has been both a palm tree and a giant clock on floating rafts in the liffey???

I don't recall ever seeing either of them but someone told me today that there was.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

Time in the slime existed

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

tomofson wrote: »
    Is it true at one point over there years there has been both a palm tree and a giant clock on floating rafts in the liffey???

I don't recall ever seeing either of them but someone told me today that there was.

The time in the slime

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/time-in-the-slime-is-the-clock-in-dry-dock-1.35492%3Fmode%3Damp

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Seen a few bikes, and shopping trollies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Time in the slime existed

Not quite what I imagined, I was thinking more of a giant old fashioned alarm clock on a floating raft...

To be honest the actual time in the slime just looked horrible, but I still dont recall every actually seeing it in person, though I must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Is it true at one point over there years there has been both a palm tree and a giant clock on floating rafts in the liffey???

The clock was under water and, in theory, could be seen from o'connell street bridge counting down to the millenium. The fact is the fucking thing was almost impossible to see, and was soon coated in slime/fungis etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Odhinn wrote: »
    The clock was under water and, in theory, could be seen from o'connell street bridge counting down to the millenium. The fact is the fucking thing was almost impossible to see, and was soon coated in slime/fungis etc.

Well it was supposed to be the millenium clock. Just another way for politicians to waste money is all it was.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

The floating island, complete with Palm tree was part of the 2011 fringe festival.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/09/10/meanwhile-on-the-river-liffey/

90234406.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Speedsie wrote: »
    The floating island, complete with Palm tree was part of the 2011 fringe festival.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/09/10/meanwhile-on-the-river-liffey/

90234406.jpg

This one was meant to have been sometime in the 80s or early 90s, The person I recall telling me that the first time died before 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Either I'm very slow or it's just difficult to follow this thread at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

I remember the chime in the slime too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Infinite Fart

Oooo woooops misread that as 'Palm tree and giant cock' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Odhinn wrote: »

rumor has it that its still ticking away in a warehouse in Wicklow along with the e-voting machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

This one was meant to have been sometime in the 80s or early 90s, The person I recall telling me that the first time died before 2011.

The DCC building opened in 2010, in the background in that pic. I remember a small green Palm tree in the river in line with the Arlington Hotel, late 90's I'd say.
    It was nothing to talk about, think it was tied up to the railings on the side of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

AMKC wrote: »
    Well it was supposed to be the millenium clock. Just another way for politicians to waste money is all it was.

There was a long programme about it on RTE One way back .I listened to the radio a lot when I still had no power or internet. Fascinating

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I remember the clock in the liffey, it was a countdown to 2000, and think it was launched in 1996 NYE, they were interviewing people there who promised they'd be there in 2000 when it hits 0.

I think it was gone by the following March.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Muttley_666

It was a bit of a mess. Back in 1996 it sounded like a cool idea, sort of like a doomsday clock - counting down to the "end of the world" - Y2K bug anyone ????

The postcards it printed (machine on the bridge - 50p maybe, you got one with that current number of seconds to the millennium) were "in theory" going to pay for the unit - if the initial sales were extended for the next year. But sadly, as already said, it got removed for cleaning and never came back.

https://independentarchives.photoshelter.com/image/I0000vN15.vbDdSk

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It was great when the lads where throwing things over O'Connell bridge to try break the time in the slime.
    Trying to actually see the thing required a sunny day with a low tide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Cool story, yeah it would have been pence then, Euros came in 2002.

I remember once going in to see it and could just barely make out the numbers ticking down under a foot or so of water, it was during the day though, would have liked to have seen it at night.

Next time I went in at dusk the fecking thing had been removed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

It was 20p alright, still have my postcard here with the time stamp.

• Advertisement

jimbis wrote: »
    It was 20p alright, still have my postcard here with the time stamp.

lash up a picture of it !!

Advertisement