Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work Colleague leaving - gifts?

• 04-05-2018 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭

Longterm work colleague (10yrs+) is leaving soon and few of us who worked closely with them want to get them a gift, price-wise in region of 250-300 euro. This is separate from any goodbye gift from the business itself.  Any ideas? Thought of a voucher for a nice getaway somewhere, but maybe something more tangible as a memento would be better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Wow that is very generous. I would definitely go for the weekend away over the momento. Buy them a voucher for Ballyliffen or Parknasilla and they can go whenever they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,192 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'd maybe split it... get a crystal decanter as a memento and make the voucher for a nice but local restaurant.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Depending on the industry you could do a lot worse than a nice Mont Blanc Pen for that price range.

If its an office env and the person actually writes a lot during their day its a nice thing to have that you probably wouldnt go out and buy yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Give them a nice card and a voucher for a weekend away of their own choosing in the form of a cheque. Let them pick the venue.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My €0.02:
    I left a company last autumn after 11 years and was given a bronze statue of Phil Lynott.
    It means so much to me and I have it forever. They obviously put thought into it.
    Had they gotten me a voucher it wouldn't have meant much to them or to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

It depends on the person and their interests really. I agree a personal memento from their close colleagues would be nicer than just handing over a gift cheque. Could you discreetly contact their partner/son/daughter and get an idea of what they might like. We sometimes do that here and usually get good suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

A nice bottle of whiskey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

a kick in the hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

My €0.02:
    I left a company last autumn after 11 years and was given a bronze statue of Phil Lynott.
    It means so much to me and I have it forever. They obviously put thought into it.
    Had they gotten me a voucher it wouldn't have meant much to them or to me.

That statue did disappear off Harry Street on a number of occasions, including October last year. Hmmm.

Advertisement