Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-01-2018, 13:15   #31
MJohnston
Registered User
 
MJohnston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodaly View Post
As an aside, if people think that regular taxis are safer than ride-sharing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...boys-1.3347256



Some sources suggest his list of victims could be as high as 102.

Think Ireland is different?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-30216696.html
You're making an argument for more regulation, not less.
MJohnston is offline  
Advertisement
06-01-2018, 13:22   #32
howiya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodaly View Post
The 6,300 euro fee for the 'privilege' of operating a taxi?
I assume you're referring to the entry cost rather than the annual operating cost of the licence.

Since the NTA aren't currently accepting new licence applications in this category the €6,300 fee isn't relevant to the argument. The only new taxi licences available cost €170.

So to repeat the question that you gave the above answer to,

What do people think is unfair or unsuitable about current Irish taxi regulation that they want Uber to bypass it?
howiya is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-01-2018, 13:30   #33
markodaly
Registered User
 
markodaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by howiya View Post
I assume you're referring to the entry cost rather than the annual operating cost of the licence.

Since the NTA aren't currently accepting new licence applications in this category the €6,300 fee isn't relevant to the argument. The only new taxi licences available cost €170.
Which means you need to have a wheelchair accessible car to avail of this taxi license, you left out that bit. Such a car would cost well north of 20,000 euro if not more.

Quote:
So to repeat the question that you gave the above answer to,

What do people think is unfair or unsuitable about current Irish taxi regulation that they want Uber to bypass it?
You answered this yourself, the fact that its a closed shop, that even if there was a license available you had to fork out €6,300 but alas even these are not available anymore. If someone wants to drive a taxi or operate a ride sharing car, they should be allowed to once they have a full clean license, their car is road worthy and they don't have a criminal record. Such a license could be granted for €100.
markodaly is online now  
06-01-2018, 13:37   #34
markodaly
Registered User
 
markodaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
You're making an argument for more regulation, not less.
Not at all. People use regulation as a way to justify existing market practice that remain inefficient, old and out of date. The argument against uber or similar ride sharing services I hear is often one about passenger safety yet, no one questions how safe are our existing taxi's and has there been some proper research into if one is actually safer then the other.

Tell me this, it is safer for a woman on their own to hail a cab on a street corner at 2:30 am, or is it safer for them to use a ride sharing app to order a ride, whereby the driver, the car and the journey itself is completely mapped, logged and recorded.

Ridesharing apps like Uber have made taxi's think more about leveraging technology to increase passenger safety. Let me put it this way, would a mytaxi app be used as much if Uber or Lyft had not made the idea of it mainstream?
markodaly is online now  
(2) thanks from:
06-01-2018, 13:57   #35
MJohnston
Registered User
 
MJohnston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodaly View Post
Not at all. People use regulation as a way to justify existing market practice that remain inefficient, old and out of date. The argument against uber or similar ride sharing services I hear is often one about passenger safety yet, no one questions how safe are our existing taxi's and has there been some proper research into if one is actually safer then the other.
For me it's only a small bit about passenger safety, but mostly it's about fairness of competition. You either deregulate all taxis, or Uber must adhere to regulations also. There is no middle ground that works here.

Quote:
Tell me this, it is safer for a woman on their own to hail a cab on a street corner at 2:30 am, or is it safer for them to use a ride sharing app to order a ride, whereby the driver, the car and the journey itself is completely mapped, logged and recorded.
I think it's safest, out of all the taxi options, to use a regulated taxi hailed through an app like MyTaxi where the journey is mapped, logged, and recorded.

Quote:
Ridesharing apps like Uber have made taxi's think more about leveraging technology to increase passenger safety. Let me put it this way, would a mytaxi app be used as much if Uber or Lyft had not made the idea of it mainstream?
Given that MyTaxi, aka Hailo, launched in Ireland at least 2 years prior to Uber, I can answer "yes" to that with absolute certainty.
MJohnston is offline  
Advertisement
06-01-2018, 14:23   #36
markodaly
Registered User
 
markodaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
For me it's only a small bit about passenger safety, but mostly it's about fairness of competition. You either deregulate all taxis, or Uber must adhere to regulations also. There is no middle ground that works here.
Yet you fully support the status quo where by a would be taxi operator or ride sharer has to pay €6,300 for a taxi license, which at the moment does not even exist. Its extortion, dressed up as regulating the taxi industry for the betterment of well existing taxi drivers.


Quote:
I think it's safest, out of all the taxi options, to use a regulated taxi hailed through an app like MyTaxi where the journey is mapped, logged, and recorded.
Well, that is traditional taxis jumping on technology and innovation pioneered by the likes of Uber and Lyft. If you have stats or peer reviewed research that says using an app to hail a taxi over an uber is safer then by all means post it. I have never found evidence to suggest this is the case, and I have looked.


Quote:
Given that MyTaxi, aka Hailo, launched in Ireland at least 2 years prior to Uber, I can answer "yes" to that with absolute certainty.
Ah yes, Ireland lives in a vacuum and your comment here is a perfect illustration of the same. You are also wrong.

Uber was founded in 2009
MyTaxi app was first introduced in Hamburg in 2010
Lyft started in 2012
Hailo was founded in 2011 in London.

Uber was the first out of the blocks with this technology and others quickly followed.

The Irish taxi industry just piggybacked on this tech, there was no innovation necessary or needed. They did know however, if they did not started to use this tech, then someone or Uber or Lyft would have seen Ireland as fertile grounds for market share capture. The taxi industry here thinks they are great and modern of course that they use this tech now but it was done to stave off competition and of course give some PR as if they are the paragons of innovation.

Dont piss on my leg and tell me its raining.
markodaly is online now  
06-01-2018, 14:39   #37
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason
 
LuckyLloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 32,107
The last point is immaterial to what you originally said. In the Irish context, Hailo was their introduction to the whole thing. Uber had nothing to do with its widespread adoption here.
LuckyLloyd is offline  
(2) thanks from:
06-01-2018, 14:39   #38
MJohnston
Registered User
 
MJohnston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodaly View Post
Yet you fully support the status quo where by a would be taxi operator or ride sharer has to pay €6,300 for a taxi license, which at the moment does not even exist. Its extortion, dressed up as regulating the taxi industry for the betterment of well existing taxi drivers.
I made no argument one way or the other about the current licensing requirements or costs. I simply said that they exist, and Uber must follow them too, otherwise they create illegally unfair competition in the marketplace.

Quote:
Well, that is traditional taxis jumping on technology and innovation pioneered by the likes of Uber and Lyft. If you have stats or peer reviewed research that says using an app to hail a taxi over an uber is safer then by all means post it. I have never found evidence to suggest this is the case, and I have looked.
It's an educated assumption - you claim that an app that tracks journeys and logs everything is safer than not having an app, I agree with that.

You also say that it costs €6300 to get a taxi license, which in and of itself is a barrier to becoming a taxi driver, and it seems to me that this cannot be less safe than a situation where you're getting into a car with a person who has paid 0 to become an Uber driver (note that I'm not saying that cost barrier makes things completely safe, just at least equally safe, or perhaps even slightly more safe, than without).

Quote:
Ah yes, Ireland lives in a vacuum and your comment here is a perfect illustration of the same. You are also wrong.

Uber was founded in 2009
MyTaxi app was first introduced in Hamburg in 2010
Lyft started in 2012
Hailo was founded in 2011 in London.

Uber was the first out of the blocks with this technology and others quickly followed.
That's all well and good, but you specifically asked "would a mytaxi app be used as much if Uber or Lyft had not made the idea of it mainstream".

My response is simply that Uber did not make the idea mainstream in Ireland, because a lot of people have still not now even heard of Uber long after it has launched here, and certainly most had never heard of it before it launched.

Quote:
The Irish taxi industry just piggybacked on this tech, there was no innovation necessary or needed. They did know however, if they did not started to use this tech, then someone or Uber or Lyft would have seen Ireland as fertile grounds for market share capture. The taxi industry here thinks they are great and modern of course that they use this tech now but it was done to stave off competition and of course give some PR as if they are the paragons of innovation.

Dont piss on my leg and tell me its raining.
This just seems like a rant - I'm not in the taxi industry whatsoever, nor do I particularly like taxis, but I can only say what I see from the outside.
MJohnston is offline  
Thanks from:
06-01-2018, 15:01   #39
markodaly
Registered User
 
markodaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
The last point is immaterial to what you originally said. In the Irish context, Hailo was their introduction to the whole thing. Uber had nothing to do with its widespread adoption here.
Apart from being the world leaders in app based taxi/ride-sharing ordering, nothing at all.
markodaly is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-01-2018, 15:01   #40
end of the road
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 22,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodaly View Post
Which means you need to have a wheelchair accessible car to avail of this taxi license, you left out that bit. Such a car would cost well north of 20,000 euro if not more.
such cars are very likely going to eventually become mandatory so your argument isn't valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodaly View Post
You answered this yourself, the fact that its a closed shop, that even if there was a license available you had to fork out €6,300 but alas even these are not available anymore. If someone wants to drive a taxi or operate a ride sharing car, they should be allowed to once they have a full clean license, their car is road worthy and they don't have a criminal record. Such a license could be granted for €100.
there is no closed shop. there is a licence availible with a fee of 170 euro. perfectly fine and affordible.
end of the road is offline  
06-01-2018, 15:21   #41
markodaly
Registered User
 
markodaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
I made no argument one way or the other about the current licensing requirements or costs. I simply said that they exist, and Uber must follow them too, otherwise they create illegally unfair competition in the marketplace.
Yes, we are so concerned with unfair competition, you have no problem or comment to make on unfair regulation with makes the entire industry unfair from the get go. Funny that.


Quote:
It's an educated assumption - you claim that an app that tracks journeys and logs everything is safer than not having an app, I agree with that.
An assumption does not make it true or correct.

Quote:
You also say that it costs €6300 to get a taxi license, which in and of itself is a barrier to becoming a taxi driver, and it seems to me that this cannot be less safe than a situation where you're getting into a car with a person who has paid 0 to become an Uber driver (note that I'm not saying that cost barrier makes things completely safe, just at least equally safe, or perhaps even slightly more safe, than without).
The cost barrier is just that, a barrier. It is well known that for years, Dublin gangs used taxi's to launder their drug money. Having no barrier or a reasonable barrier of say €100 to cover administration, would just be as safe as a barrier of €100,000. Remember the pre-deregulation days of the 90's. Taxi drivers gave us that yarn as well, stating that people wouldn't use these newer taxi drivers as they would be 'all sorts of people' (a sly dig of non nationals, Irish Taxi drivers are quite racist in my experience). The issue should be centered about proper background checks, not stupid random fees on who can afford to be a taxi driver.



Quote:
That's all well and good, but you specifically asked "would a mytaxi app be used as much if Uber or Lyft had not made the idea of it mainstream".

My response is simply that Uber did not make the idea mainstream in Ireland, because a lot of people have still not now even heard of Uber long after it has launched here, and certainly most had never heard of it before it launched.
Ireland is a small market, hence why Uber probably could not have been bothered to come here earlier. Ireland also deregulated the taxi industry many years ago, so although the €6,300 fee is stupid and unwarranted it is not as bad as those elsewhere like in NY, or London or Sydney, where a taxi licences costs up to $500,000. These were the markets that Uber wanted to crack and crack they did.

However, my main point was that innovation originated by the likes of Uber, Lyft and developers in myTaxi/Halio. The Irish taxi industry just piggy backed on this.

Put it another way, was the NTA or the Irish Taxi Federation or whomever they are called involved back in 2009 or 2010 in developing an app like myTaxi or Halio?


Quote:
This just seems like a rant - I'm not in the taxi industry whatsoever, nor do I particularly like taxis, but I can only say what I see from the outside.
Fine, but don't give them credit for innovating in their industry when it was forced on them by the PD's in the 2000 and spoon feed to them by the tech revolution.

Manner of the old heads are still crying about it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...case-1.2506103
markodaly is online now  
06-01-2018, 15:26   #42
markodaly
Registered User
 
markodaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by end of the road View Post
such cars are very likely going to eventually become mandatory so your argument isn't valid.
Do you have a source for this? I can understand a certain % but all? No taxi industry in the world has this requirement as far as I know.


Quote:
there is no closed shop. there is a licence availible with a fee of 170 euro. perfectly fine and affordible.
Yes, €170 is fine, until you realise you need a wheelchair accesable car to avail of it. Which would be €20,000 min.

Kinda like how we in Ireland have free third level University if you ignore the €3,000 registration fee every year. But yea its free....
markodaly is online now  
06-01-2018, 15:37   #43
howiya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodaly View Post
Which means you need to have a wheelchair accessible car to avail of this taxi license, you left out that bit. Such a car would cost well north of 20,000 euro if not more.
The reason the restriction was introduced is that the number of wheelchair accessible taxis in Ireland fell by 40% since 2008.

In case you hadn't noticed the number of people in wheelchairs is increasing. Should Uber drivers be allowed discriminate against people in wheelchairs?
howiya is offline  
Thanks from:
06-01-2018, 15:40   #44
howiya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodaly View Post
Yes, €170 is fine, until you realise you need a wheelchair accesable car to avail of it. Which would be €20,000 min.

Kinda like how we in Ireland have free third level University if you ignore the €3,000 registration fee every year. But yea its free....
That's a bit like you suggesting a rideshare driver should pay a licence fee of €100 and then he/she realises they need a car
howiya is offline  
06-01-2018, 15:44   #45
markodaly
Registered User
 
markodaly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by howiya View Post
The reason the restriction was introduced is that the number of wheelchair accessible taxis in Ireland fell by 40% since 2008.

In case you hadn't noticed the number of people in wheelchairs is increasing. Should Uber drivers be allowed discriminate against people in wheelchairs?
So, how is restricting would be Taxi drivers from driving a normal car help wheelchair users. Is there data available that shows us the optimal number of wheel chair accesible taxis? Maybe that 40% drop was warranted?

Uber had this covered as well by the way.
https://www.uber.com/en-IE/ride/uberwav/
markodaly is online now  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet