Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-03-2019, 17:58   #1
Spanish Eyes

Companion free travel pass use when DART/Train station ticket office is closed.

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone knows what a companion FTP holder should do if primary FTP holder cannot buy a ticket for the companion because the ticket office is closed?

Sorry for the long winded question.

I have sent a mail off to Irish Rail, but it takes several days for a response, so I thought someone here might know.

Thanks.
Advertisement
13-03-2019, 19:50   #2
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
Hi,
Just wondered if anyone knows what a companion FTP holder should do if primary FTP holder cannot buy a ticket for the companion because the ticket office is closed?

Sorry for the long winded question.

I have sent a mail off to Irish Rail, but it takes several days for a response, so I thought someone here might know.

Thanks.
Get on the train, once you are with the pass holder for the journey you are covered.
14-03-2019, 13:13   #3
XPS_Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Get on the train, once you are with the pass holder for the journey you are covered.

As long as you are within the SHZ. Within the DART zone you just need tag the ticket. If you are going intercity you technically need a ticket, some will enforce that some not, but I'd not take the chance.
14-03-2019, 13:40   #4
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPS_Zero View Post
As long as you are within the SHZ. Within the DART zone you just need tag the ticket. If you are going intercity you technically need a ticket, some will enforce that some not, but I'd not take the chance.
But if there's no one at the office to buy a ticket, what are they supposed to do? Miss the train to go off and find a manned office because of Irish Rail's staffing decisions?
(2) thanks from:
14-03-2019, 13:45   #5
Jamie2k9

If ticket office is closed you are covered. Revenue will know.

If you board a intercity train without a ticket and the office is open they are prefectly entitled to fine you.
Advertisement
14-03-2019, 17:38   #6
Working class heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
If ticket office is closed you are covered. Revenue will know.

If you board a intercity train without a ticket and the office is open they are prefectly entitled to fine you.
I'm curious. Has it ever happened? Genuine question.
14-03-2019, 21:57   #7
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working class heroes View Post
I'm curious. Has it ever happened? Genuine question.
Probably not!
Thanks from:
15-03-2019, 18:01   #8
Spanish Eyes

Thanks for comments. I'll post up the reply from IR when I get it eventually.

My main concern is DART or other stations within the SHZ that require you to tag the ticket and pass at the barrier. How does the companion get through the barrier at either or both ends if h/she has not got a ticket because ticket office is closed!

You'd have to be nimble and quick to follow the FTP holder through the barrier, and it doesn't sound right either!
15-03-2019, 18:09   #9
Virtanen

From my experience, they keep the barriers open whenever there's nobody in the office, have traveled as a companion with two different pass holders and never had a problem

Was even told once when getting the tickets that we didn't need them, to just board the DART without them, but that was just the office saving time rather than a policy
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 18:11   #10
Virtanen

Also you seem to think that the pass holder is able to get through the barriers with their travel pass, which is not the case. If the office is manned, you need to get two tickets: one for the pass holder, and one for the companion
Thanks from:
15-03-2019, 19:25   #11
Corca Baiscinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb Your Enthusiasm View Post
But if there's no one at the office to buy a ticket, what are they supposed to do? Miss the train to go off and find a manned office because of Irish Rail's staffing decisions?
One piece of advice someone I know received was to get off in the middle to buy a ticket! Journey was Limerick Junction to Athenry. No ticket office office open and machines didn't have Athenry as an option even though you can travel straight through. Person asked ticket check man what to do and he said "get out in Limerick and buy a ticket to Athenry." The person declined. It would have meant lugging or leaving their luggage and besides they considered the situation so absurd they declined to go along with it. they figured if the train traveled form A to B the machine should provide a ticket from A to B
15-03-2019, 19:58   #12
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corca Baiscinn View Post
One piece of advice someone I know received was to get off in the middle to buy a ticket! Journey was Limerick Junction to Athenry. No ticket office office open and machines didn't have Athenry as an option even though you can travel straight through. Person asked ticket check man what to do and he said "get out in Limerick and buy a ticket to Athenry." The person declined. It would have meant lugging or leaving their luggage and besides they considered the situation so absurd they declined to go along with it. they figured if the train traveled form A to B the machine should provide a ticket from A to B
That's ridiculous. I'd point blank refuse to do that also. It's not my problem if they don't staff an office and there's no alternative way of purchasing a ticket at the first station. IR should really cop themselves on.
16-03-2019, 13:25   #13
Jamie2k9

Quote:
My main concern is DART or other stations within the SHZ that require you to tag the ticket and pass at the barrier. How does the companion get through the barrier at either or both ends if h/she has not got a ticket because ticket office is closed!

You'd have to be nimble and quick to follow the FTP holder through the barrier, and it doesn't sound right either!
If a ticket office is closed at least one barrier will be left open.

If you have a card and are traveling with somebody the barrier will only accept it once so you companion will either use the open barrier or staff will let them out.
16-03-2019, 15:53   #14
Tarabuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
Thanks for comments. I'll post up the reply from IR when I get it eventually.

I had this experience at Tara Street, where there is no ticket office. I asked a staff member how I could get a ticket for my wife and he told me that we both had to get through the barrier together. There was no open barrier and he didn't offer to open one for my wife either. When we arrived at Malahide we had to do the same again to exit.

Fortunately there was a ticket office open in Malahide for our journey home. That is the one and only time I have taken my wife on the DART with my FTP.
16-03-2019, 19:12   #15
vektarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtanen View Post

Was even told once when getting the tickets that we didn't need them, to just board the DART without them, but that was just the office saving time rather than a policy
I would have to disagree with this. From the Irishrail site:

You must be in possession of your free travel pass when travelling on board all Iarnród Éireann services and you must present your free travel pass at the ticket office to receive a ticket to travel on all services except the DART.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion