Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

injury

Options
  • 20-04-2019 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi guys, four weeks ago I was knocked off my bike by car. Ended up with 2 breaks in pelvis. Apart from being out of work, the pain and being on crutches, I am looking out at the lovely weather. In a moment of madness I bought quobo smart trainer - still trying to set the thing up. But has anyone any ideas how the hell to get up on the bike lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Give yourself time to heal first. 4 weeks is early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 molarspark

Yeah I know I should but, cutting long story short, through cycling lost 9 stone. Gave up cigs etc. Already I feel like I am eating all around me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I fractured my pelvis in two places after being knocked off my bike 6 months ago.
    Was on crutches for 3 months under strict instruction from consultant not to put weight on it. Left pelvis.
    I started on a TT 2 weeks after coming off crutches.

Getting up on it is similar to normal motion. Stand as close as possible to bike and place strong foot (opposite foot to side of pelvis which is fractured) on or in pedal, place both hands on handlebars, put weight on pedal with hands holding bike from keeling over and drop chest towards bar, swing other leg over back wheel and slide pelvis forward to on top of saddle.

I had and still have a lot of muscle pain and weakness in the area of the injury, the physio was insistent on not trying to do too much too soon. When I had the injury, I was told it would be about 4 months before I'd be back out on the road. Turned out to be closer to 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 molarspark

Thanks for your reply. Good to hear from someone who had the same thing. I have tried that but cant swing either leg high enough - even using platform. I guess I just going to have to give it time.

molarspark wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Good to hear from someone who had the same thing. I have tried that but cant swing either leg high enough - even using platform. I guess I just going to have to give it time.

Get someone to stand on the opposite side of the bike to you, or put it near a wall and use that to support you while getting on.

My physio kept telling me to slow down in the amount I was trying to do, I was going in to him saying I had increased amount by 4k or 6k from previous but had a lot of pain and he said I should slow down and take it more gradual.

I had similar concerns in terms of weight gain so I was eager to try to get back but so far it has played out pretty much exactly as I had been told it would.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did the same in a couple more places and was immobilised for 3 months then 8-10 weeks rehab. After that made tentative steps back on the bike.

Let your body heal first

Borderfox wrote: »
    Did the same in a couple more places and was immobilised for 3 months then 8-10 weeks rehab. After that made tentative steps back on the bike.

Let your body heal first

The risk of putting too much pressure on too soon is that the bones will displace which could greatly increase risk of arthritis or if they displace badly enough, they could require surgery to be pinned.

I found it very frustrating but the week it happened me, a lady in the UK was involved in the exact same type of incident (car hitting them head on from the side) and she was unfortunately killed, so, in that respect, a few months out and some weight gained is very acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I fractured my pelvis when I first started cycling. Hospital sent me home with ibuprofen and no crutches. Depends on the site of the fracture, I hobbled around for a month and started going swimming - lot of walking in the pool to build strength up. Didn't see a physio as not the done thing with the NHS and was back cycling in 2 months. Fortunately there were no lingering issues; easiest recovery I've had from injury.

Best of luck with your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Ouch. Hope you recover soon.
    Anyways I heard this recently somewhere and I know it is a bit exteme but just shows ye what can be done...

https://www.bicycling.com/racing/a26535578/injured-pro-cyclist-trainer-ceiling-comeback/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod note: OP we can't give advice for you here, as we're not your doctor or physio.
    The advice you need can be gotten from them, we can't give out that kind of advice here.
    Congratulations on your weight loss, and listen to the medical professionals dealing with your injury.
    Good luck with the healing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement