Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Genotyping question

• 19-04-2019 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Quick question. How fast is the turnaround time on genotyping? My brother has a bull he wants to sell. Buyer needs him genotyped for BDGP before end of June. Could it be done by then? Will ICBF let you send hair sample in so as not to have to wait for the tissue tag to be made and sent out? Tried contacting them but they are closed for Good Friday.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm in the BDGP and before ICBF had alredy sent me tags, when I wanted to switch animals for genotyping. I rang them and they said no problem. They sent me out a hair kit and told me to just dump the tag for the other animal.

As for timing, the proofs come out every 2 months. Dates of publication and last date receipt of samples are here;
    https://www.icbf.com/wp/?page_id=11285

For example, proofs due out 22nd July 2019. Samples need to be in by 8th May 2019.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

As for timing, the proofs come out every 2 months. Dates of publication and last date receipt of samples are here;
    https://www.icbf.com/wp/?page_id=11285

For example, proofs due out 21st May 2019. Samples need to be in by 8th May 2019.

Thanks a million Patsy. So if I get sample in ASAP the bull should hopefully have a genotype rating by 8th May? Ideal. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Thanks a million Patsy. So if I get sample in ASAP the bull should hopefully have a genotype rating by 8th May? Ideal. Thanks again.

No No. Sorry read it wrong. Sample has to be in by 8th May. You won't have it published till 22nd July 2019.

(I corrected it above.)

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Going by that link above, if you send in the sample by May 8th you'll have the genotype rating on July 22nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I was told by icbf 6 weeks minimum. We sent a sample in in February and still havent got the results. That was hair sample is it makes any difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Maybe someone knows the answer. Im looking at the BEEP scheme and I have 4 heifers that calved this year that don't qualify as they have
    no Sires listed (brought in as calves from dairy herd) so wouldn't meet the requirements for the scheme. One is a FR/LMX cross that has a lovely heifer calve so ill be keeping her as a replacement but want to cover any future schemes. So if i got DNA/Genotyping testing done on them would that give me the information for their Sires and then make them qualify for the BEEP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Maybe someone knows the answer. Im looking at the BEEP scheme and I have 4 heifers that calved this year that don't qualify as they have
    no Sires listed (brought in as calves from dairy herd) so wouldn't meet the requirements for the scheme. One is a FR/LMX cross that has a lovely heifer calve so ill be keeping her as a replacement but want to cover any future schemes. So if i got DNA/Genotyping testing done on them would that give me the information for their Sires and then make them qualify for the BEEP?

Should do, unless the bull they're off isn't sampled himself.

Genotyping will only give the information for their sires if the sires themselves have been genotyped and are on the ICBF system. If the sire is an Ai bull it should be there but if it's a stockbull it mightn't and will give sire unknown.

Can you get the Sires off the farmer you bought the calves off and input that (if he knows it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

tanko wrote: »
    Can you get the Sires off the farmer you bought the calves off and input that (if he knows it).

My Father bought them off a Dealer at the time and all their tags are different so different herds. We've no idea the farms or even where in the country to check that. Pity, thought the genotyping would give me the info on them

The name and address of the original owner is on the cards but i suppose that could be a wild goose chase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

tanko wrote: »
    The name and address of the original owner is on the cards but i suppose that could be a wild goose chase.

I had to do this before with 2 heifers we bought. We got hold of the original owner in limerick and he was quite happy to pass on the sire details

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ladeeen

I had to do this before with 2 heifers we bought. We got hold of the original owner in limerick and he was quite happy to pass on the sire details

Did the same earlier this year with a few bucket fed yearling heifers I bought. Some people very obliging, obviously easier when they all the same herd.

Advertisement