Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pan buster or mole ploughing

• 17-04-2019 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭

Have about 10 acres of clay ground that could do with some tlc and was thinking of doing mole ploughing it or getting a pan buster through it. What’s the pros and cons of both methods it was never done here before so just wondering what would be the best?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭hopeso

Pan buster is going to lift the ground a fair bit, and will likely leave ridges. Ideally you’d need to be ploughing the field after it. The mole ploughing won’t lift the ground as much, but ideally the mole drains need to be running into an open drain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’ve very heavy clay ground.

In many ways mole ploughing is of limited use, you can see results directly where the mole is pulled, but because the clay is so impermeable to water it doesn’t drain any distance from the mole.

For us the Big Bang for buck is draining rising water from springs etc. By removing these sources of standing water it leaves just rainwater to dry off and have to accept clay soils remain wetter longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

_Brian wrote: »
    We’ve very heavy clay ground.

In many ways mole ploughing is of limited use, you can see results directly where the mole is pulled, but because the clay is so impermeable to water it doesn’t drain any distance from the mole.

For us the Big Bang for buck is draining rising water from springs etc. By removing these sources of standing water it leaves just rainwater to dry off and have to accept clay soils remain wetter longer.
    Do you notice much difference in winter drainage, after last year's drought? Or is that effect long gone on heavy clay?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Do you notice much difference in winter drainage, after last year's drought? Or is that effect long gone on heavy clay?

Definitely, ground is firm down deeper, recent rain softened the surface which will take a while to dry off. We did some drainage which has worked a treat.

Your only going to go so far with really Heavy clay soils as the water just doesn’t travel through it. I could pull a drain 6imches from a spring and if I don’t catch it it will boil up in a wet spot rather than soak into the drain and it so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Definitely, ground is firm down deeper, recent rain softened the surface which will take a while to dry off. We did some drainage which has worked a treat.

Your only going to go so far with really Heavy clay soils as the water just doesn’t travel through it. I could pull a drain 6imches from a spring and if I don’t catch it it will boil up in a wet spot rather than soak into the drain and it so close.

I bought a mole plough from O'Keefe's in Cork last year. Murty dropped it up and had a look around the fields and at the soil. He said it would seem easier to mole plough heavy soils like we have when they are wet but the best time is in the summer, after you've cut silage for example. The ground will be much drier and the mole will crack the soil around it as well as leave the drain.

He also said not to close off the moles or drive over them straight away, leave them a couple of days to harden so the drain will remain intact. Driving over them the same day can collapse them in. I only started it last year but you can really see the benefit this year already. Very, very slow job though.

• Advertisement

DaDerv wrote: »
    I bought a mole plough from O'Keefe's in Cork last year. Murty dropped it up and had a look around the fields and at the soil. He said it would seem easier to mole plough heavy soils like we have when they are wet but the best time is in the summer, after you've cut silage for example. The ground will be much drier and the mole will crack the soil around it as well as leave the drain.

He also said not to close off the moles or drive over them straight away, leave them a couple of days to harden so the drain will remain intact. Driving over them the same day can collapse them in. I only started it last year but you can really see the benefit this year already. Very, very slow job though.

Yea that’s how we would do it.

I’ve wondered how good a job a vibrating pan buster would be on clay soils, looking at videos it really seems to loosen the whole stricture and let air in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

DaDerv wrote:

How hard is it to pull? 100 hp be good enough for it or would more be required?

PoorFarmer wrote: »

I was using a 7740 so thats around 100hp, 95hp i think and it was grand. Its a single leg plough I'd say youd need something bigger for any more. Murty just said to go very slow. I was crawling, walking pace. Basically give yourself enough time to react if you do come across a stone or something.

I have a single leg here, and no bother with 80hp, in fairly clean soil. It's as much about traction as power really.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Would have plenty of traction but ground would be heavy. Mud once I go down 12 to 15 inches.
    Reckon if I had my own I could pull one from anywhere there was water holding/rising once the weather suited.
    Are the O'Keeffe ones well built?

• Advertisement

Would have plenty of traction but ground would be heavy. Mud once I go down 12 to 15 inches.
    Reckon if I had my own I could pull one from anywhere there was water holding/rising once the weather suited.
    Are the O'Keeffe ones well built?

I was looking for one for a while. I had been chatting O'Keefes and they were on the more expensive end. I went to a few different lads looking for second hand or that but they are hard got in good nick. I was recommended by a reputable fella to get O'Keefe's that they were the best ones going so I bit the bullet and gave the extra few hundred. I bought the attachment for putting in waterpipe too but didn't get round to using it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

DaDerv wrote:
    I was looking for one for a while. I had been chatting O'Keefes and they were on the more expensive end. I went to a few different lads looking for second hand or that but they are hard got in good nick. I was recommended by a reputable fella to get O'Keefe's that they were the best ones going so I bit the bullet and gave the extra few hundred. I bought the attachment for putting in waterpipe too but didn't get round to using it yet.

What price is an o Keefe, I've one here a sub soiler goes down 2 ft which in muddy ground is fine I think

lab man wrote:
    What price is an o Keefe, I've one here a sub soiler goes down 2 ft which in muddy ground is fine I think

I've the cheque book with the accountant now but I think it was around €2100. I had mine set to 18 inches. You could dig a hole to see how far down the pan is if you wanted to be very exact. 2ft should be plenty. It's a good job if you're reseeding as well.

We pull a single leg through our tough soil with an 885xl, what’s that about 60-65hp

We pull a single leg through our tough soil with an 885xl, what’s that about 60-65hp

885 is 82hp

hopeso wrote: »
    885 is 82hp

Ya haven’t seen ours ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

Any pictures of the single leg?

Advertisement