Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink problem and work

Options
  • 16-04-2019 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a serious drink problem and I have finally decided to get help for it . I want to keep this as discreet as possible from people at work . I'm probably going to need in patient care and counselling. Would appreciate any advice you can give me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

You are not required to tell anyone what you need inpatient care for, I understand you might want to keep your personal life personal in the workplace.

You can simply say you need inpatient care for a medical issue - end of story.

However, I would say to you that its nothing to be ashamed of and being dishonest about it will be stressful for you and at a time when you want to avoid unnecessary stress that might not help you. Getting help for an addiction is not shameful, its something to be proud of.

In addition to that, although you may think people do not know you have a drink problem, in all likelihood they do - so hearing you are receiving treatment for it could mean you get support from your work colleagues.

Think hard about why you want to keep it a secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

you are best placed to decide what way to deal with work, rather than strangers that don't know who your employer is.

it may be possible to take unpaid time off, and not tell them what you are up to. are you entitled to parental leave, or does the job have unpaid leave scheme? Have you accrued some holidays?

however if they have an employee assistance programme they may be help and support available to you via the job. So make sure you don't forgo available help to avoid 'embarrassment'. If its for a good valid reason, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

It very much depends how long are you in your current job OP?

If you're there a long time then I would be honest and let them know what's happening, nothing they can do about it. You need treatment, you're being honest about it and it will be forgotten in time.

If you're not there long then I would try to keep it under cover if I were you and claim it's another medical issue.

By the way, fair play to you for realising that your problem needs in patient care and the very best of luck of to you. No matter what happens with your job it will be the best thing you ever did, honestly.

Advertisement