Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

work stress possibly maby a new job? issues

• 15-04-2019 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Hi I am in a very stressful situation in work, I have been put on a panel for a posting in the civil service and my current employers have said to me recently that they are aware that I am on said panel, i am currently next on the list but there is very much uncertainty that there is a job available or that may become available before the panel is due to expire at the end of this year

this has led to a situation where my prospects with my current employer is nill and I am uncertain if I will have a ship to jump too

I have been having minor panic attacks over the situation and sometimes I simply can't function properly when I think about my current situation, I fell I have been backed into a corner with possibly no way out

I wish I was the type of person that could put all this to the back of my mind and get on with it but this is crippling me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Why not start applying elsewhere so you have a fall back should said position fall through. You are determined to meet trouble half way, this approach is not working and you have to look at alternative approaches to managing your stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

cloudatlas wrote:
    Why not start applying elsewhere so you have a fall back should said position fall through. You are determined to meet trouble half way, this approach is not working and you have to look at alternative approaches to managing your stress.

I work in an extremely small sector so it is hard to come by jobs and then coming by a job that suits me geographically is impossible

any tips on how to manage the stress ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I work in an extremely small sector so it is hard to come by jobs and then coming by a job that suits me geographically is impossible

any tips on how to manage the stress ?

Can you apply for jobs outside of your sector just to tide you over until you can get back in? if you don't get this job. You must have transferable skills. Managing stress: exercise, go for a run, lift weights, meditate, make a flask of coffee to for walks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

What has your boss said about your current job? What happens when the panel expires at the end of the year? Do all your prospects with the civil service expire with it?

For managing stress i would definitely recommend getting out for an hour and going for a walk or run. If you can take a break during the day do. I know legally you're supposed to, but i certainly never take mine.

Do you have hobbies or interests that you could focus on?

What has your boss said about your current job? What happens when the panel expires at the end of the year? Do all your prospects with the civil service expire with it?

the are I'm going into is very niche and if the panel expires, another one will not be set up for at least 3 years so it's last chance time

I'm just in the mode of get up to to work come home go to bed repeat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Why are your prospects nil with your current employer if you dont get the job and the panel expires?

Surely then they will know that you are not jumping ship if that happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Sounds to me that you suffer from anxiety. Very common these days but treatable. Is seeing a psychotherapist a possibility for the long term?

Short term, this might help.

https://www.aware.ie/education/life-skills-online-programme/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm confused as to what the actual issue is here - has your employer threatened to dismiss you because they're aware you're on the panel??? Or are you just paranoid because they know you're looking elsewhere?

Dial Hard wrote:
    I'm confused as to what the actual issue is here - has your employer threatened to dismiss you because they're aware you're on the panel??? Or are you just paranoid because they know you're looking elsewhere?

they haven't threatened to fire me but everything I do is now put under the microscope as opposed to before I was put on the panel, they have also verbally said it to me that they are aware that I am on the panel in a very intimidating manner

I don't know what they are at as if I do get offered a possition I will be then auditing the company's work

Sounds to me that you suffer from anxiety. Very common these days but treatable. Is seeing a psychotherapist a possibility for the long term?

I'll certainly look into it I have the type of bottle everything up and put a hard face on type of personality so I certainly don't help myself

• Advertisement

are you currently working in the public/civil service

how much of the intimidating tone might have been in your head?

losing people to panels is like breathing air to any public sector manager. it really shouldnt be anything that reflects on you at all.

id be very surprised if it had any effect on you if the next job never came up and you stayed in the current role. and if it did youd be in a very strong position to make a complaint

if the role youre currently in is troubling you aside from this, try to focus on what you can do and who you can talk to about that and leave the panel situation separate if you can at all.

are you currently working in the public/civil service

no I'm in the private trying to get into the public sector
    how much of the intimidating tone might have been in your head?

none of it I was singled out when I was alone to be told that they are aware that I am on the panel,

it's a ****ty situation I just wish I could have a definitive answer on the new job either way so I could either be happy about it or put my head down and get on with it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

How did they find out you are on the panel for the CS?? Im on the HSE panel and I work in the HSE and no one knows in my job that I am on the panel for another post.

what's keeping you in your current job?

id understand if you were stuck in CS and afraid of not being allowed move

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

How on earth did they find out you're on a panel and who is they?

If you're being treated unfairly, then you should consider recording the issues you're having and maybe discuss with HR? It is none of their business that you're considering moving.

Also you should consider going to your GP and tell them you're stressed from work. They will record this and will probably recommend a professional to talk to. Some health insurance policies give free access to counseling over the phone etc, so check out your policy if you have one.

I'm very like you in the way I deal with stress. I internalise it and my inner voice is very negative. It's the way I'm wired.

You've a right to apply for any job in the world and you've at right to privacy. And you've a right to be treated fairly at work.

Make sure you talk to someone.

I'm not sure you'd be eligible to audit the company your leaving also (if you got the new position).

Teepinaw wrote:
    How on earth did they find out you're on a panel and who is they?

the sector I'm in is to small for comfort
    Teepinaw wrote:
    If you're being treated unfairly, then you should consider recording the issues you're having and maybe discuss with HR? It is none of their business that you're considering moving.

it is none of their business I know that but what can I do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

the sector I'm in is to small for comfort

it is none of their business I know that but what can I do ?

Keep doing your job and if you're being discriminated against, start keeping a record. Go to HR. Go to your GP - that's part of keeping a record. If you're able to remind yourself it's none of their business, then you should be able to work through this.

Lots of advice given in the posts. It's up to you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

The Civil Service can't fill posts quickly enough at present so at a loss to understand why you think you won't be called from panel if it's running until December and we are now only in April?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

they haven't threatened to fire me but everything I do is now put under the microscope as opposed to before I was put on the panel, they have also verbally said it to me that they are aware that I am on the panel in a very intimidating manner

I don't know what they are at as if I do get offered a possition I will be then auditing the company's work

You will be auditing your current employer? Is there not a major conflict of interest there?

While I sympathise with you I find it hard to relate to your issue. I work in the public sector and people come and go all the time and nothing is made of it. I would have no issue openly telling my manager that I am applying for another position, and while she might be frustrated at being down a body temporarily and having to train in a replacement if I get the job she would wish me well. It’s the same across my whole sector. You are encouraged to better yourself and in fact if you don’t go for opportunities that come up it can be interpreted by senior management as a lack of ambition.

And nobody should know you are on a panel if you don’t want them to know. That information should be private, although I understand sometimes people see other people they know at interviews etc and the grapevine takes it from there.

You will be auditing your current employer? Is there not a major conflict of interest there?

I think there is a certain period of time that I will not be allowed to look at stuff from my current employer but yeah there is a bit

company I work for is trying to be progressive from the top but essentially has a backward middle management

• Advertisement

The Civil Service can't fill posts quickly enough at present so at a loss to understand why you think you won't be called from panel if it's running until December and we are now only in April?

it's in a specific part of the CS where jobs are like gold dust

moving on from this I have calmed myself down and got on with it but now I have been called into a meeting to "discuss matters pertaining to performance in my role" now my head has been a bit scattered of late as outlined above but I'm by no means sleeping on the job

so since my last post my employer has issued me with a verbal warning for nefarious reasons and has now requested my presence at an investigative meeting

it's safe to say they are trying to get rid of me at this point and that my anxiety was justified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Wow! That is just awful OP.

People change jobs every day of the week, for various reasons (shorter commute/better salary/more experience). I wonder why its such a big deal to them?

Could you counter complain? I mean, you were right all along. Have you any back up (a log/diary or emails)?

dellas1979 wrote:
    Could you counter complain? I mean, you were right all along. Have you any back up (a log/diary or emails)?

I ambushed them at a meeting with a strongly worded letter letting them know where there process has fallen short

I subsequently got a call from HR saying that it's all being put to one side and I now have a meeting with the boss and HR in an informal setting

so just an update the new job has come through and I'm currently going through the vetting process and hope to start in September

thanks for all the help

Advertisement