Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie laying laminate flooring

Options
  • 13-04-2019 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi. I want to put down laminate flooring in most of the rooms in my house. I have watched a good few YouTube videos and seem to get the just of it. My problem is that the floors seem slightly uneven under the old laminate. I know there's stuff that you can get to level them. But do you think that this is too much for someone doing it for the first time? Funds are low, otherwise I would get someone to do it for me.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

When you take up the old floor and see if the floor has any high or low spots as to why it's uneven, low spots can by filled in with a floor levelling compound and the high spots you can use a bolster and hammer but most of the time your underlay should sort out and decrepinces.
    Take your time doing the flooring and you'll be fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

If floors are really bad a bag of self leveling compound easy way to sort out unlevelfloors.
    Just mix with water very watery mix, pour on the floor it finds its own level leave over night next morning floor will be flat as a pancake ready for wooden floor to be laid. only about 10euro a bag

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Payton wrote: »
    When you take up the old floor and see if the floor has any high or low spots as to why it's uneven, low spots can by filled in with a floor levelling compound and the high spots you can use a bolster and hammer but most of the time your underlay should sort out and decrepinces.
    Take your time doing the flooring and you'll be fine.
    Sorry didn't see your post, just repeated what you said

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Thanks for those replies and advice. I feel more confident about doing it myself now. I'll look into the levelling mix to level the floor. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If floors are really bad a bag of self leveling compound easy way to sort out unlevelfloors.
    Just mix with water very watery mix, pour on the floor it finds its own level leave over night next morning floor will be flat as a pancake ready for wooden floor to be laid. only about 10euro a bag

Self leveling can be tricky..and indeed very tricky for a beginner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement