Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are the spikes over windows called

Options
  • 06-04-2019 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

hi all,
    just wondering what the spikes over the 2nd floor windows on houses are called? if they have a certain name etc. looking to get some. will try attach a pic of ones that ive seen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crxsi09

crxsi09 wrote: »
    hi all,
    just wondering what the spikes over the 2nd floor windows on houses are called? if they have a certain name etc. looking to get some. will try attach a pic of ones that ive seen

just attached pic below

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Anti-bird spikes?

If so, they’re called ‘anti-bird spikes’.

endacl wrote: »
    Anti-bird spikes?

If so, they’re called ‘anti-bird spikes’.

not sure if they are called that i googled that and all that comes up are spikes like in the pic i will attach now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think you might need to ask someone who has studied architectural history.

The correct name for it is probably in here somewhere, if you can plough through it.
    https://books.google.ie/books?id=ZlZDAQAAMAAJ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If its the wooden piece at the apex of the facia board (red spike ?) It's called a Finial. Any good wood turner would make them up for you if you can't get them off the shelf.

AG%20020%20pop1.jpg

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    If its the wooden piece at the apex of the facia board (red spike ?) It's called a Finial. Any good wood turner would make them up for you if you can't get them off the shelf.

AG%20020%20pop1.jpg

well thanks a million guys.. thats what it is. cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

edit: someone got there before me.

Advertisement