Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spreading fert with Wagtail

Options
  • 28-03-2019 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

How do you normally shake fert with Wagtail. just keeping making rings around the field or up and down in tram lines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Either works fine.....Just allow plenty of overlap....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

RobinBanks wrote: »
    How do you normally shake fert with Wagtail. just keeping making rings around the field or up and down in tram lines?

Up and down

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Depends on the shape of the field, long narrow paddock I go round and round. Bigger fields I go up and down. Tracks roughly 7m apart so that the outside granules just hit the last wheeltrack.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Round and round three or four times would do most of my fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

tanko wrote: »
    Round and round three or four times would do most of my fields.

Same here.
    None are any way square either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Would go round and around mostly,no fields over 4 acres here!.....ground only soaking out yet after the rain we got,won’t be putting out Fertiliser until into April,with 18:6:12 you need higher temps to get best return for spreading.Weather set to turn cold next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Mostly up and down but if field is bare its hard to see the wheel signs from the previous run going in the opposite direction. In that case its around and around and around in ever decreasing circles.

Mostly up and down but if field is bare its hard to see the wheel signs from the previous run going in the opposite direction. In that case its around and around and around in ever decreasing circles.

That's when the raybans come in handy, they show up darker:cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Sami23

Round and round here

blue5000 wrote: »
    That's when the raybans come in handy, they show up darker:cool:.

Or GPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I use pigtail posts. :D A combination of poor eyesight, dirty windscreen and bare fields necessitates it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I use pigtail posts. :D A combination of poor eyesight, dirty windscreen and bare fields necessitates it.

Reminds me of a contractors son who used to do the mowing. He'd knock 5 or 6 headland swaths and would then stop get out and pace both ends of the fields on foot and pace out half to get the centre of the fields. Then he'd mark both ends with a bit of furze or a branch. Used to drive farmers mad seeing him traipsing over and back across the field. All just to keep short swarths to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

2 rounds then up and down the longest straight side
    Turn off pto at head lands
    Width depends on your machine some a 30ft others 40
    As previous poster says the width should be enough that the furthest it lands is on the tracks of the previous run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Most fields here are roughly 5acs in size I just drive around till the half tone is out :):):);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

blue5000 wrote: »
    Depends on the shape of the field, long narrow paddock I go round and round. Bigger fields I go up and down. Tracks roughly 7m apart so that the outside granules just hit the last wheeltrack.

If you're overlapping to the previous track, will the outside half of your first round not have only a half rate (no overlap)?

That's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

yellow50HX wrote: »
    As previous poster says the width should be enough that the furthest it lands is on the tracks of the previous run

Why do you turn the pto off? Switching the pto off won't stop the flow of fert, which is all you need to do on the headland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Up and down, round and round, in and out .....
    Get yourself a GPS. You won't know yourself with it, and best money ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

The old boy's used to have bits of tape on their windows to line up with different width implements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

yellow50HX wrote: »
    We seldom spread artificial fertilizer and only use it on WBC for Glas but spread it the same way as you. I leave the pto on but I lean out the back window and just push the handle to close the hatches on the wagtail at the headlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

hopeso wrote: »
    Why do you turn the pto off? Switching the pto off won't stop the flow of fert, which is all you need to do on the headland.
    Yep, if you don't close the hatch the fertilizer will continue to flow out and spill on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

Have a second hand wag tail here. Not used in a few years. Where the PTO shaft connects onto the wag tail there is a hole in both the PTO shaft and the wag tail bit that a bolt fits through. I recall that a few years back that the Bolt sheared at this point. I think it was a shear bolt. No major revs on when it happened. Should this bolt be a standard Bolt or a shear bolt. And what's the likely issue. Don't want to have a full load on (0.5t) and then to have to bucket it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Aravo wrote: »
    Have a second hand wag tail here. Not used in a few years. Where the PTO shaft connects onto the wag tail there is a hole in both the PTO shaft and the wag tail bit that a bolt fits through. I recall that a few years back that the Bolt sheared at this point. I think it was a shear bolt. No major revs on when it happened. Should this bolt be a standard Bolt or a shear bolt. And what's the likely issue. Don't want to have a full load on (0.5t) and then to have to bucket it all out.
    Some had a roll pin.

satstheway wrote:
    Some had a roll pin.

Must have a look at a new one in local store and check it out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

lefthooker wrote: »
    Up and down, round and round, in and out .....
    Get yourself a GPS. You won't know yourself with it, and best money ever spent.

How much are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Must have a look at a new one in local store and check it out. Thanks.

We bought a new wag tail spreader here this year. There's a bolt through the drive to hold it in position in at the spreader gearbox. It's just a normal grade bolt with a lock nut on it.... there wouldn't be much pressure on it.

Dunno how a roll pin would work....i d say
    not .....there's very room with guards etc to drive in a roll pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Cavanjack wrote: »
    How much are they?

I have a Teejet 430 a good few years now. I paid €1050 inc. vat

Aravo wrote:

Same thing happened again this evening when I said u would test the spreader with a standard bolt. First time using it in years. Had a nut with the plastic end on it so I very much doubt the nut came off. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Same thing happened again this evening when I said u would test the spreader with a standard bolt. First time using it in years. Had a nut with the plastic end on it so I very much doubt the nut came off. Any suggestions?

Hard to believe that the pressure of driving the spreader caused the bolt to shear. .. there's very little power required to turn the wag tail....

Would the bolt be a bit long and caught in something?

Was the bolt the full size of the hole and no slop or play in it?

Does your tractor PTO engage very suddenly and this cause the bolt to snap?

Is the gearbox well greased? You should be easily able to turn the drive by hand and the spout move?

After that I dunno..

• Advertisement

jimmy G M wrote:
    Would the bolt be a bit long and caught in something?

Bolt is long enough to get nut on and have 4-5 threads showing.
    jimmy G M wrote:
    Was the bolt the full size of the hole and no slop or play in it?

Bolt is full size, no play.
    jimmy G M wrote:
    Does your tractor PTO engage very suddenly and this cause the bolt to snap?

PTO engages at low revs. No issue with other implements. Bolt gone after 5 mins. Not straight away. Happened twice this evening.
    jimmy G M wrote:
    Is the gearbox well greased? You should be easily able to turn the drive by hand and the spout move?

Greased everything beforehand. Spout turns easily.

Pain in the backside. Luckily have an old wagtail. But it does not hold 0.5t bags. One thing I noticed is that this wagtail does not have a smooth running sound like the older and smaller wagtail. Maybe its a gear box issue. It will he back to the older, smaller and always reliable wagtail. Good job it's still about.

Advertisement