Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Takedown of RTE's Blatant Transphobia

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

I believe the attempt to rename feminism as egalitarianism is actually anti feminist.

If everyone were egalitarian, would there be any reason for feminism to exist ?

If not, what would be wrong with that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭jrmb

Nonsense.

Balance rules are not strict at all. They are only strict in relation to an election or referendum at all.

They will still preempt the grounds on which someone might complain and try to avoid such situations.

I'm a cis male feminist who believes strongly in equality.

In a man who believes in equality.

That's why im not a feminist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Im not asking you why???????

Yes but you refuse to address it, you know most people equate feminists with women and radical feminism has been traditionally used as a slur yet you continue to defend the usage despite its misogynist origins. There is a word for transphobia and it is fingers on the buzzers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Ya'll getting off topic, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

If everyone were egalitarian, would there be any reason for feminism to exist ?

If not, what would be wrong with that ?

I think the difference is that feminism celebrates difference, where difference does not negatively impact women in areas like pay, treatment, etc. Much like Pride celebrates the 'other' rather than merely create a space where everyone is identical. There are differences between the two terms depending on what context you are talking about it in. I don't think JTP was inferring that egalitarianism is bad, more that there are many feminists who use feminism to actively highlight and celebrate the experience of womanhood in addition to fighting for rights/privileges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

I think the difference is that feminism celebrates difference, where difference does not negatively impact women in areas like pay, treatment, etc.

Which is why so much of 'equality' looks an awful lot more like 'privilege'.

Equality in terms of doing hard, manual, physically demanding, low-paid unskilled work is there for the taking too, but not so enthusiastically adopted.

A straightforward commitment to egalitarianism would circumvent the inconsistency.
    I don't think JTP was inferring that egalitarianism is bad, more that there are many feminists who use feminism to actively highlight and celebrate the experience of womanhood in addition to fighting for rights/privileges.

Joey is a cis male parrot, and I think not in a position to celebrate the experience of womanhood. He doesn't have any.

By instinct I am deeply, deeply suspicious of male feminists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Guys if you want to discuss feminism can ye please create a new thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

J_E wrote: »
    I was really quite disappointed at the inclusion of Graham Linehan as a 'credible' voice. It undermined the whole programme and brought the tone of the conversation on trans youth into the gutter and did serious damage to trans people seeking understanding. He can spout all he wants on Twitter, but to have that placed on television on a sensitive space like that, you couldn't help but feel like there were dubious motives.
    Dubious motives ?
    Speaking the truth is dubious ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,451 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

TomSweeney wrote: »
    J_E wrote: »
    I was really quite disappointed at the inclusion of Graham Linehan as a 'credible' voice. It undermined the whole programme and brought the tone of the conversation on trans youth into the gutter and did serious damage to trans people seeking understanding. He can spout all he wants on Twitter, but to have that placed on television on a sensitive space like that, you couldn't help but feel like there were dubious motives.
    Dubious motives ?
    Attempting to create controversy by importing a manufactured UK controversy is highly dubious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Dubious motives ?

What truths did he speak?

Advertisement