Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Not allowed to drive - am I entitled to the travel pass?

• 06-01-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

In recent years I have been through the mill (healthwise). I have a life long illness that although it doesnt prevent me from living a normal life, does have the ability to strike at any time often resulting in hospital admissions.
    In the past few years, I have had various surgeries. I went from working full time to illness benefit to job seekers, back to illness and now have been offered a job - where the employer knows my background and will accommodate time off for hospital appointments etc.

The rate of pay isn't too bad. My only catch is it will be about €70 euro per week on public transport. Then some weeks if I have to go to Dublin for hospital appointments - that could double. Legally, I am not allowed to drive as my vision in one eye is practically non existent and in the other eye is good but I would only be able read 3/4 of the chart.

Would I be entitled to get the free travel pass? I know it probably sounds cheeky asking as I am working but the travel expenses is at least 20% of my salary each week. That coupled with medication, hospital visits etc, I am finding it tough going. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭lulu1

You wont qualify for free travel as you are working. I think you have to be receiving disability allowance carers allowance or some other social welfare payment.

Fair play to you for wanting to get out there and work but unfortunately thats the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP; here is the full list of qualifying conditions

You are aged 66 or over
    You are getting Disability Allowance, Blind Pension, Carer's Allowance or an Invalidity Pension from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection
    You have been getting Incapacity Supplement or Workmen's Compensation with Disablement Pension for at least 12 months
    You are blind or visually impaired and meet the medical conditions for Blind Pension
    You are a specified carer for a person getting Constant Attendance Allowance or Prescribed Relative's Allowance from the Department
    You are getting a social security invalidity payment, or similar payment, from another EU member state or from a country with which Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement for at least 12 months
    You are a widow or widower or a surviving civil partner aged 60 or over whose late spouse/civil partner held a free travel pass and who is getting one of the following payments: Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Partner's (Contributory) Pension, Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension, One-Parent Family Payment, Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Partner's Pension under the Occupational Injuries Benefit Scheme or a similar social security pension/benefit from an EU member state or a country with which Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement, or an ordinary Garda widow's pension.
    You have confirmed your identity through the SAFE registration process (pdf) when requested to do so

Please have a word with your dr? and ask at Citizens info?

Advertisement