Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike?

Options
  • 08-10-2018 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Yesterday I picked up my rules of the road book a first step to me eventually getting a motorcycle.

I'm 41, have had a car license since I'm 18 and intend to do my daily commute onthe bike. It's 37km both ways on r roads or 5 to 10 km longer on better roads.

Question is what sort of bike would be suitable. My basic research says something like a Transalp? I probably don't want to spend much on a first bike so probably 1-2k. Or is that realistic?

Thank you
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I wouldnt comsider a transalp a starter bike. If youre tall look at the dl650. Also, would be worthwhile doing the ibt on a school bike before thinking about what bike you should buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Thank you Zubair, I'm 6 foot so I'd imagine I'm ok?

The DL650 looks good but then they all do :pac:

I know very little about bikes I'm afraid. Something easy to ride/learn on and ok for a longish commute would be the major criteria I'd have. Does the type of road make any difference to the type of machine you'd need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Your first bike should not be too heavy or powerful. Therefore I would steer you towards a 250cc ish bike around 150kg ish that has easy ish handling.
    At 6ft you have the option to get a tallish bike around 30 + inches seat height.
    You mentioned transalp, so you may like the look of them or their suspention for R roads that might be a little bumpy.
    A kle 250, varadero 125 are tall
    Any 250 - 400 really that suits you, probably not a sports type or cruiser type as some can be a bit heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I have just recently (2 years) got into biking. My bike is a Honda deauville. They are very comfortable, cheap, loads of second hand models around, cheap to insure ( my first insurance on learner permit was €430), practical , and very forgiving and easy to ride.
    It won't set the world on fire but sounds like it could be worth some consideration.

The only issue is that the weight of the bike means it's not a full category A bike, so you can't do a full cat A test on it.

Tanks for all the replies. I think I like the idea of starting on a category a if possible. As long as that doesn't make life harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Tanks for all the replies. I think I like the idea of starting on a category a if possible. As long as that doesn't make life harder.

Definitely go for the A licence. But you can start on a smaller bike and just borrow a bigger bike for the test.

100% get a 600+ A category bike. I might be contradicting myself as not sure if the dl650 is suitable for the A test. Still, do the IBT then look at bikes as you'll have a better idea then.

So after much procrastination my theory test is coming up shortly.

I'm going to assume I'll pass it and book IBT 😉. Who would people recommend for IBT in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Do your test on A alright (school bike).

Then something like a CB500 would be ideal

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Would ye good folks recommend Gabriel Folan? He seems to be the man in Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Im same age as yourself..on the road the last 6 months..purchased a bmw g650gs (1st bike) a month after doing the ibt A category. its an A2 category bike so will have to hire a bike for the test. i can say its the ideal starter bike. nice tall riding position. you see everything way ahead of you on the road. the bike is not too powerful either no jerky acceleration on deceleration. there's a bunch of them on done deal..might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

Go for a bandit 600 nice and easy to ride.

Would ye good folks recommend Gabriel Folan? He seems to be the man in Galway?

He is good - PM sent to you.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Kawasaki Versys 650 is a great machine and a definite option for a new rider.

What's your budget?

I'm sure you'd pick up an older one for around 3k maybe 3.5k.

Honda nc700x and nc750x would great option also.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

I got a 1996 Transalp 600 as my first road bike, been commuting to work on it 5 days a week for the past year and it hasn't missed a beat. You won't be able to do your A test on it but it is a great all rounder.

Yeah. The budget. I had naively, it looks like hoped to spend somewhere around €1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I have V-strom 650 myself and would definitely recommend this as a commuter bike. Great weather protection and very comfortable. It's also reasonably quick off the mark for a 650. You will get it up to 160 kph without much effort but everything above this is a chore (it eventually tops out around 190 kph on the German Autobahn :) ).
    The fuel economy is quite good as well (5 - 7 l per 100 km depending on driving style ).
    The only downside is your budget. You can get a decent one between 3-4k.
    My first bike was a Bandit 600. It was a nice enough starter bike but not as comfortable as the DL650 and had poor weather protection. You could get one of these for under 2k though.

SV650's can be bought down inside your budget. Nice and light, great engine (same as DL).

Ode To The Motorist

DL 650 gets great reviews but yup they are a little out of budget. Will defo look at sv650.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

DL 650 gets great reviews but yup they are a little out of budget. Will defo look at sv650.

You might be able to get one very close to your budget if you are willing to buy in the UK : https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904157013911?search-target=usedbikes&advertising-location=at_bikes&postcode=l10aa&model=V-STROM%20650&sort=price-asc&page=1&make=SUZUKI

• Advertisement

MSVforever wrote: »

I'm not sure a like my ahem maiden voyage to be all the way from UK🙈

You're in Bandit and Hornet territory with that budget. Don't expect to find a prestine bike but you'll find a decent starter bike.

zubair wrote: »
    You're in Bandit and Hornet territory with that budget. Don't expect to find a prestine bike but you'll find a decent starter bike.

Yeah. I'm not even sure I want a nice (condition) bike. I might be more comfortable with something a bit scruffy till I am someway competent

Advertisement