Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan Travel etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

gavkm27 wrote: »
    Flying out on 8th of October to Kagoshima down south with a pal and starting a 2200km unsupported bike race across Japan and with a bit of luck we'll be riding into Tokyo a few days before the Semi's :)

2200km?! Christ that's some distance! Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Tuesday and Wednesday it was awful. 32/33 degrees but the humidity was 85%. Was really sticky. Today was nice though. 28 degrees, with a breeze and humidity was only 30%

More importantly, what's the average price of a pint? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I didn't get any Yen before I arrived. I used my card to withdraw some cash in the 7-11 shop located in the train station level of Narita airport. Honestly, you'll be grand.

What sort of exchangedid you get nailed on? Fees etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Eod100 wrote: »
    2200km?! Christ that's some distance! Best of luck

Yeah it is!!! but whats even more scary is the amount of climbing involved - 42,000m as Japan is a tad hilly, anyway if i make it out the otherside in 1 piece and we make the Semi's then i'm there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭macslash

Lads, trying to find adapters here in Ireland. Where did people get them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

comment wrote: »
    Has anyone purchased Yen before travelling and where did they get it and how was the exchange rate. I went to order some in AIB and was told it’s not a currency they do. Definitely looking to have some cash with me for when I arrive given what I’ve read.

I had same issue. Company called Fexco do it and they're very quick with it. They will actually deliver it to your door if you can't pick it up. I'll dig out the link now.

https://www.no1currency.ie/

macslash wrote: »
    Lads, trying to find adapters here in Ireland. Where did people get them?

It's the same as the US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭macslash

It's the same as the US

Sound thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Also, I couldn't help myself going to the RWC megastore here in Tokyo and getting carried away in all the excitement and buying this Paid for it with my MasterCard (which is plastered all over the place)

How much was it Mike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

More importantly, what's the average price of a pint? :-)

Depends on the places you want to go go you can pay anywhere from around ¥300 for pint of Asahi or could go to places and pay up to ¥1000 for a pint of warm Guinness. Cans are cheap in supermarkets and 7/11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    I had same issue. Company called Fexco do it and they're very quick with it. They will actually deliver it to your door if you can't pick it up. I'll dig out the link now.

https://www.no1currency.ie/

I used the too
    All good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

You'd be surprised

And I'd guess you'd have travelled quite a bit around the world Mr Phileas Frog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Arrived in Tokyo ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ So far so good. Toughest part so far was the 9hr 45 minute flight from Dubai. Couldn't sleep for the life of me. So now I'm sitting in a bar in Shinjuku (Tokyo) drinking beer at ¥1134 a pint but paying by card. I've used TransferWise card so far to pay hotel, withdraw cash and buy beer same as if I was at home. Kanpai!!

I've this flight coming up next Friday! There for the first two games, really looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Quick guide to money in Japan as far as I can understand.

There are three types of ATM.

Japan Post - bout 2e
    Seve (in 7/11) - Free 7am - 7pm but 1e outside those hours.
    Prestia - Free

If you're using a normal bank (AIB, BOI, Ulster) there is a good chance there are some pretty heavy charges for overseas ATM usage. But if you get Revolut (or one of the other challengers) they usually have some pretty good deals.

Revolut give your first 200e free from ATM withdrawals after that they charge 2%. But importantly they give you the interbank rate - ie a true exchange rate. On top of that using the card abroad is completely free. So when you do go into a restuarant, hotel, shop that accepts card you save the money and pay no fees. There are no fees at all to open a Revolut account, I think at the moment the cards are free (but sometimes they cost 5e) set up takes a few mins (selfie and pic of passport). Atm there is a referral deal where if you get a code from your mate (or pm me) everyone gets a tenner. Vodafone have the same offer if you prefer the Irish team sponsor to benefit.

FexCo do not give you the interbank exchange rate. At the moment if you buy Yen on Fexco they are offering 114 yen to the euro. The real rate is 120. So effectively they're charging 5% commission, which is laughably expensive for a service that makes you then carry hundreds or thousands of Euro worth of cash around Japan with you.

Maybe a few percent here or there doesn't sound like much. But on 1,000 euro spending money the difference will end up being around 40 quid. Or ~13 pints of Asahi. And that's assuming you end up using the same amount of cash, when in reality I'd say you will able to use the card more than you think and avoid fees completely.

I know this sounds like a plug, it's not. It's just genuinely the best advice I can give!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If you have the revolut metal account, believe it's around 15 quid a month, they give you 1% cashback as well outside of Europe. And the ATM withdrawal limit goes up to 600 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If you have the revolut metal account, believe it's around 15 quid a month, they give you 1% cashback as well outside of Europe. And the ATM withdrawal limit goes up to 600 euro.

And there is some travel insurance included with premium and metal, and one free airport lounge per year for anyone who has booked a flight with a nasty looking layover. And a cool looking metal debit card that makes people think you are much more wealthy than your cheap drink choice initially suggested.

And I'd guess you'd have travelled quite a bit around the world Mr Phileas Frog?

I once travelled around the world in a little under three months as part of a bet. Ribbet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Hippo wrote: »
    I've this flight coming up next Friday! There for the first two games, really looking forward to it now.

Me too. This time next week we'll be in Dubai.

Getting quite hyped for this now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Just nabbed a Cat B ticket to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

What sort of exchangedid you get nailed on? Fees etc?

I used TransferWise and got £1 = ¥130. Free to withdraw £200 at ATMs per month and then 2% fees after that. Which is very reasonable.

• Advertisement

finbarrk wrote: »
    How much was it Mike?

It cost me £80 in yen equivalent!!

Well lads Tokyo is great craic. Last night went to a "British" pub as it was happy hour, so pints of Kirin were only like ¥500. Anyway, met an English girl, a Kiwi guy and then we got talking to two mad Japanese lads and ended up going to a karaoke place until the early hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 steam iron

troyzer wrote: »
    Just nabbed a Cat B ticket to the final.

Delighted for you Troyzer.
    I've been following this thread since it started and can feel your excitement.

Myself and my other half are going to Tokyo for the quarter finals.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Two spare tickets for QF 4 Sunday 20th October, the one Ireland will be in if we win the group.
    Face Value
    PM me.

Does anybody know if there will be a fan zone or anywhere to watch the NZ vs SA game outside of yokohama stadium? Thinking of heading up to it even without tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

marley45 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there will be a fan zone or anywhere to watch the NZ vs SA game outside of yokohama stadium? Thinking of heading up to it even without tickets

Supposedly the fan zone is in Yokohama itself.

Which is a bit **** because it's a good 40-50 minute walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

troyzer wrote: »
    Supposedly the fan zone is in Yokohama itself.

Which is a bit **** because it's a good 40-50 minute walk.

All fan zones are away from stadia

For security and practical reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3 32mako

marley45 wrote: »

Fanzone for Yokohama is at Rinko Park. Looks great, on the waterfront. We were at the fanzone in NZ 2011 for games we didn't have tickets to and they were awesome. Planning on going there unless we go to the baseball that is on in Tokyo that night.

Google maps says its 30mins walk to stadium from there

32mako wrote: »
    Fanzone for Yokohama is at Rinko Park. Looks great, on the waterfront. We were at the fanzone in NZ 2011 for games we didn't have tickets to and they were awesome. Planning on going there unless we go to the baseball that is on in Tokyo that night.

Google maps says its 30mins walk to stadium from there

Rinko Park is in the city of Yokohama. The stadium is out of the city (nearly 7km). I'm staying in the city and will need to get the train/subway to the stadium - it ain't walkable! I'm in Yokohama for 3 nights (going to both NZ v SA and Ireland v Scotland) and will go along to the Fanzone on Friday evening to watch the opening game. I even have a Japanese jersey ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 32mako

Rinko Park is in the city of Yokohama. The stadium is out of the city (nearly 7km). I'm staying in the city and will need to get the train/subway to the stadium - it ain't walkable! I'm in Yokohama for 3 nights (going to both NZ v SA and Ireland v Scotland) and will go along to the Fanzone on Friday evening to watch the opening game. I even have a Japanese jersey ðŸ˜

Thanks MikeCork2009... you're totally right.

You gave me a bit of a panic there but sooner now than in a weeks time! Turns out I've been looking at Yokohama Stadium - which is a baseball stadium (Obviously!) and not Nissan Stadium - which is a stadium for the RWC (even more obviously!)

Ah it's going to be great, really looking forward to it now... (goes and checks flight tickets are actually to Tokyo, Japan, and not Tokyo, Canada or somewhere!)

Advertisement