Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog attacks on sheep !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Sickening - how much damage done?

1 dead, many injured in a small flock

• Registered Users Posts: 29,156 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

does the dogwarden still take the weekend off?

whelan2 wrote: »
    does the dogwarden still take the weekend off?

yup same as every council worker, think the guards can get some emergency service.
    but the warden got them this mornin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I know this is in the Uk but jaaaaysus, those poor lambs and what a **** of a dog owner, leashed the dog afterwards and walked away.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=556684601162390&id=100004625659016

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think there needs to be much more made of these instances..

I know near corsskeys, Cavan last year a lad was having awful trouble. So after shooting three dogs he contacted the local rag who ran the photo of the dead dogs along with that of dead and injured sheep.. He said there was an immeditate responce and last I heard no problems at all with dogs..

So, I think dog owners really believe that their poor Fido isn't up to anything so its OK for him to be out freely day or night, but advertising and showing the dead dogs really puts the fear into them that the crazy gun toting farmer will get Fido..

Less lee way or second chances, a dog on farmland without a leash is a dog about to worry stock and so should be shot. A zero tolerance policy is best for everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

_Brian wrote: »

I know near corsskeys, Cavan last year a lad was having awful trouble. So after shooting three dogs he contacted the local rag who ran the photo of the dead dogs along with that of dead and injured sheep.. He said there was an immeditate responce and last I heard no problems at all with dogs..

So, I think dog owners really believe that their poor Fido isn't up to anything so its OK for him to be out freely day or night, but advertising and showing the dead dogs really puts the fear into them that the crazy gun toting farmer will get Fido..

Less lee way or second chances, a dog on farmland without a leash is a dog about to worry stock and so should be shot. A zero tolerance policy is best for everybody.

If the dog is a stray then your probably correct, if you know who owns the dog (neighbor) then it's probably a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

If the dog is a stray then your probably correct, if you know who owns the dog (neighbor) then it's probably a bad idea.

I dunno - I think it might be an even better policy in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I dunno - I think it might be an even better policy in that situation.

Indeed..
    I think farmers and indeed their dead sheep across the country would typically show that a softly-softly "give a second chance" approach is rarely effective.

Think about it, if you let your dog free in a butcher shop and he destroyed a few thousand euro of stock, do you think you'd get a "second chance" in paying for it ?? Add to that the trauma inflicted on live animals I think its a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

There is a type of person in this country who just doesn't give a **** about their dogs. They think because its a small terrier that it doesn't matter. These dogs have never ever been on a leash or brought for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Indeed..
    I think farmers and indeed their dead sheep across the country would typically show that a softly-softly "give a second chance" approach is rarely effective.

Think about it, if you let your dog free in a butcher shop and he destroyed a few thousand euro of stock, do you think you'd get a "second chance" in paying for it ?? Add to that the trauma inflicted on live animals I think its a no-brainer.

I have a small terrier. I live beside a sheep farmer. I said to him when I got the dog, if you ever see the dog in your fields, don't shoot him. Dog well looked after and never strays, maybe 1/2 in a year. It would be bad form to shoot the dog. Farmer is a sound man and would not shoot the dog if it strayed. Lads shooting neighbors dogs/pets can lead to years of bad blood. Dogs killing sheep can lead to bad blood as well.

• Advertisement

I have a small terrier. I live beside a sheep farmer. I said to him when I got the dog, if you ever see the dog in your fields, don't shoot him. Dog well looked after and never strays, maybe 1/2 in a year. It would be bad form to shoot the dog. Farmer is a sound man and would not shoot the dog if it strayed. Lads shooting neighbors dogs/pets can lead to years of bad blood. Dogs killing sheep can lead to bad blood as well.

I think that's an entirely different situation though Capercaillie. You had the decency to approach the farmer and showed him some respect by admitting your dog may be the one at fault sometime in the future by straying.

We shot a neighbours dog in the past but the owner was given two warnings to stop him straying and chasing our cattle. Final warning was that he would be shot if seen on the land again. And hey ho, he was shot. Now we have a new guy staying in the same house and again his dog is allowed to wander, he has been given the same warning, considering I've seen the same dog chasing and nipping at his horses, I am not going to hold much hope for his long term prospects.

I have a small terrier. I live beside a sheep farmer. I said to him when I got the dog, if you ever see the dog in your fields, don't shoot him. .

Gave a neighbour a chance one time - meant 3 more dead sheep when they came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I had an incident with a dog on a Tuesday evening in July 2012. Two women were walking on the road past the house (NCD) with a mongrel type terrier. The dog came through the field hedge and attacked the hens in the garden, killing one.
    My own dogs heard the commotion before I realised what was going on and I let them out. The terrier ran back through the hedge to the women.
    I challenged the women on the road (the dog was on its lead at that stage) and told them what had happened. I asked which of them owned the dog and they refused to answer me or give me their names and address :mad:
    I invited them to look at the dead hen and the mayhem that their dog had caused - they refused. I asked them to compensate me for the dead hen and also any other ones that had scattered all around the hedges that I may have trouble finding before night fell. I said to them that I heard them calling their dog - Bitsy or something like that and told them that if he/she ever stood foot on my land again then I would shoot it on sight.
    About an hour and a half later I got a visit from the local Garda, all high and mighty in their attitude saying that I had threatened members of the public - WTF.
    I told them what happened, showed them the dead hen and also reiterated that I would shoot the dog if it stuck its nose onto my land again. I did ask the Garda for the name and address of the owner of the dog but never got that info.

Ya seeing them in the IFJ/farming independent is no good has to be shoved in their faces

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Our policy here is if we see a dog wondering the road or even look sideways in our fields his gone by the next evening. Don't say anything about who owns the dog or what happened him. We reckon we shot 5 dogs that belonged to a person who used live next door to us

The next time a dog gets shot here I'm want to report it to the guards by saying 'I'd like to report a shooting.' And see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Have had trouble with dogs chasing cattle here in the last few years as well, on both occasions owners were warned to keep em in or under control numerous times. One crowd dogs were killed having cornered cows and chased ours and other farmers cattle and the other owners didn't act till I contacted there landlord who duly threatened them with eviction, dogs are still there but are now only barking over the ditch.
    Common issue with both owners was they moved out from town with big dogs expecting all the" open space" would do instead of walking them, ffs they couldn't even recall the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Our policy here is if we see a dog wondering the road or even look sideways in our fields his gone by the next evening. Don't say anything about who owns the dog or what happened him. We reckon we shot 5 dogs that belonged to a person who used live next door to us

Bit harsh i would say.

Would agree that any dog that causes an issue has to go. A neighbour should get at least one warning unless he obviously is making no effort.

Bit harsh i would say.

Would agree that any dog that causes an issue has to go. A neighbour should get at least one warning unless he obviously is making no effort.

Easy to say, but doesn't work in reality...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

As long as your fencing is secure then there should be no problem. I would be worried about the dog getting out a couple of times a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

davidk1394 wrote: »

That's sounds a bit harsh to me,do dogs not have to be caught in the act of worrying livestock before they are shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

I have 9 dogs here and if any of them worried sheep or cattle I'd shoot them myself. A mans lively hood comes before pets all the time. If dogs were chasing our cattle there would be no warnings if I had the gun with me. It's up to the dog owner to control there dog and if they can't do that it's there fault if it ends up with a bullet in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ganmo wrote: »
    Horrific experience for any farmer and unless you have gone through it most people don't comprehend or understand.
    We no longer keep sheep. 30 years ago we quit as we had a dog attack in the yard and lost 7 heavy in lamb ewes - 3 were dead and the other 4 died from injuries. We had awful problems with lambing, twisted beds, lambs presenting backways, upside down and dead lambs. The after effects from a dog attack are as bad than the actual attack
    I have Zero tolerance with dogs that are not accompanied (in sight) by their owner with the exception of a neighbours golden Labrador who doesn't bother the cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

ganmo wrote: »

Would they not put that ewe in the last pic down or is it just worse than it looks?

IH784man wrote: »
    Would they not put that ewe in the last pic down or is it just worse than it looks?

The one with the chunk out of her jaw? hard to say, it would depend on how deep it is

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

A few good examples of why to shoot first and warn later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Advertisement