Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't think I ever finished that game, so looking forward to it! Vaguely remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

megaten wrote: »
    Why do you think people should respond to you on twitter?

:rolleyes:

I'm not royalty, I don't expect a response. But I'm not a troll so I don't expect to be blocked either. Kind of simple really. Did you even read my post? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

https://kotaku.com/take-two-boss-gets-big-bonuses-if-the-company-sells-eno-1834167040?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

A Kotaku report on how the Take Two high ups get huge bonuses if enough microtransactions get sold. They own games like NBA 2k series and GTA Online which take in an unreal account of sales in MTX. EA get an awful doing all the time but I think Take Two are far worse. Not many people on here play NBA 2K but they have the ****tiest MTX structure selling a 70 euro game, with 100 and 150 euro versions of you want it early and loaded with VC, and packaging like free to play as in you start with higher stats and need to upgrade with virtual coins.

Anyway, now I know why the push them so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

ERG89 wrote: »

Absolutely adored that game. I really enjoyed it and the cel-shaded style was pretty unique at the time.

It never got a sequel and unfortunately left the story criminally unresolved which was a major annoyance.

Absolutely adored that game. I really enjoyed it and the cel-shaded style was pretty unique at the time.

It never got a sequel and unfortunately left the story criminally unresolved which was a major annoyance.

You can get up to volume 23 in English now, only €5.49 each: https://www.comixology.eu/XIII/comics-series/77869?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz
    *edit*: Vol 1-18 is the original series, 19-23 is the new series.

AFAIK the game only covers volumes 1-5 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I played the game briefly on the GameCube but didn't get far.

I see there's a tv series based on the comics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Chinese censorship makes game studios go blackout. No followups from most game news sites.
    https://twitter.com/mombot/status/1121010721846743041
    https://www.exclusivelygames.com/blood-poker-and-corpses-no-longer-allowed-in-chinese-video-games/

M11 business model and "woke" ending possible causes for its abysmal meta rating. The disparity between the critics and the actual consumers is staggering but not uncommon. Never forget IGN on god hand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gizmo wrote: »

Seasonal updates and crunch aren't mutually exclusive, and isn't fortnite seasonal any way.

Kind of finishes off by saying they'd have more content in future season and EA probably going to insist on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Mortal Kombat 11 toys out of the pram throwing contest is amazing.

The Jax ending that is causing the controversy is the dumbest thing in a videogame this year, and in a year with Ace Combat 7 that is an achievement. It's so stupid and I love it. The fact that it's annoying right wing Republicans is even better. The annoyance over the 'Make Outworld great again' line is the cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Varik wrote: »
    Seasonal updates and crunch aren't mutually exclusive, and isn't fortnite seasonal any way.

Kind of finishes off by saying they'd have more content in future season and EA probably going to insist on it.
    Fortnite has seasons for general theme changes and to coincide with the Battle Pass duration but it still rolls out updates on a weekly basis. This is what the developer was referring to in the article PopePalpatine linked.
    “The executives keep reacting and changing things,” said the source. “Everything has to be done immediately. We’re not allowed to spend time on anything. If something breaks — a weapon, say — then we can’t just turn it off and fix it with the next patch. It has to be fixed immediately, and all the while, we’re still working on next week’s patch. It’s brutal.

A major seasonal update, such as what Zampella is referring to can, of course, lead to a period of crunch just like any other development goal but the setup as described at Epic will be almost guaranteed to result in it.

No doubt they'll do a Captain Marvel and delete all the negative reviews because reasons.

rQhS4YQ.jpg

The community isn't reacting well to the business model, either. Bloody WarnerBros ruin everything. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/415119199?t=05h01m32s

Good news for Frostpunk
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/04/24/frostpunk-sells-over-1-4-million-copies-dev-costs-recouped-within-66-hours-of-sale/

So City Of Heroes is back up and running and all the source code is out in the wild. Never played it, never even heard much about it til the **** hit the fan earlier this week but it's great to see something so many were passionate about being ressurected, lots of happy faces over on Reddit.

M11 business model and "woke" ending possible causes for its abysmal meta rating. The disparity between the critics and the actual consumers is staggering but not uncommon.

First of all: ignore the utterly contemptible muppets that are leaving bad reviews because they don't like the non-skimpy costumes.
    Those people are MORONS with no brain cells. If they want to see titties, they should just open a new browser tab.
    And tbh that kinda includes yourself, because you're giving this idiocy a semblance of thought.
    The only & real issue is with Mortal Kombat 11's micro-transaction business model.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    And tbh that kinda includes yourself, because you're giving this idiocy a semblance of thought.
    And now so are you. :pac:
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The only & real issue is with Mortal Kombat 11's micro-transaction business model.
    So says you. MTs seem to be the majority of people's complaints however it's disingenuous to discount criticisms of the ladies costumes after NR's stated reasoning behind it was that it doesn't make sense for fighters to be showing skin (never seen MMA I guess), but don't apply the same standard to their male characters. It's the BS reasoning that exposes the virtue signalling that consumers seem to be calling out.

I myself don't have any desire to see the current character models they've come up with any more realistic minimal fighting gear. Most of the women's faces are particularly fugly in modern MK.

Anyway if they do Captain Marvel style delete or discount these reviews (like valve does for no-no topics they've decided on the customer's behalf) I assume they'll sweep all the MT criticisms under with it so be careful what you wish for; we don't need more of million dollar corporations saying what is and isn't valid criticism for something we buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Personally more annoyed by them going along with the ok sign equals white power nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And now so are you. :pac:

So says you. MTs seem to be the majority of people's complaints however it's disingenuous to discount criticisms of the ladies costumes after NR's stated reasoning behind it was that it doesn't make sense for fighters to be showing skin (never seen MMA I guess), but don't apply the same standard to their male characters. It's the BS reasoning that exposes the virtue signalling that consumers seem to be calling out.

I myself don't have any desire to see the current character models they've come up with any more realistic minimal fighting gear. Most of the women's faces are particularly fugly in modern MK.

Anyway if they do Captain Marvel style delete or discount these reviews (like valve does for no-no topics they've decided on the customer's behalf) I assume they'll sweep all the MT criticisms under with it so be careful what you wish for; we don't need more of million dollar corporations saying what is and isn't valid criticism for something we buy.

You're conflating a hell of a lot of issues into one.

Some people have been complaining that the women's clothes in MK11 aren't skimpy enough. They're the type of guys that would have us go back to MK9 where half the women characters pretty much just wore Borat mankinis, and mained Mileena because she had a skin that was just a few bandages skimpily wrapped around her. Far more egregious than the types of clothing the MMA fighters in your clip were wearing so that's a complete false equivalency. These people should be mocked, ridiculed and ignored.

Some people have been complaining about Jax's arcade ending. I won't spoil it here, but again and for what I would hope are obvious reasons, these people should be mocked, ridiculed and ignored with a fiery passion.

Some people have been complaining about the grind and microtransactions in the game. Absolutely valid criticism, which WB/NRS have not been deleting or ignoring, and are responding with hotfixes and an upcoming patch to address it. Whether it'll address it sufficiently or not remains to be seen as it very much seems like these systems are so ingrained in the game that I doubt they even could be removed or addressed to the satisfaction of most, but criticism of it is valid, they've been responding to it rather than deleting comments, and hopefully they'll find a better balance to it all.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    these people should be mocked, ridiculed and ignored with a fiery passion.
    Ignored by you, sure. Ignore them all you want. Or ridicule them? (can't have both) Either way it's something I'm sure you're glad you're able to do freely.

I'm only interested in the review processes which are largely under siege as of now. If the kind of people who get upset over boobs were content with ignoring or just buying a different game that actually appeals to them then all this 'woke' shyte wouldn't even exist and Sony wouldn't have a new censorship department.

They never bloody ignore it and in fact I think they're incapable of that. That's why there's a dozen articles about this every week and demands for games to change to cater to them.
    I've been told twice now to ignore it. And I'm being told by review systems that DRM, EULAs, ideological drivel, sex appeal, MTs and political signalling are not things that I should care about or even be allowed to be considered when judging a game/publisher. Don't think about it. Definitely don't talk about it. Just spend money and shut up.

Well in news, let's change it up a bit. Huniepop2 news :pac:
    http://operationrainfall.com/2019/04/23/huniepop-2-teaser-trailer-reveals-new-conflict/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

So City Of Heroes is back up and running and all the source code is out in the wild. Never played it, never even heard much about it til the **** hit the fan earlier this week but it's great to see something so many were passionate about being ressurected, lots of happy faces over on Reddit.

Ah City Of Heroes. How I missed thee and thy evil brother City Of Villains. One of the best MMO's I've ever played (and I played an ungodly amount of em). I had stopped playing towards the end, but was still quite sad when they announced they where shutting it down. Spent so much time just creating different Heroes, and Villains, to cover every Hero type, from a Hulk Smash type Brawler through to the Superman / Electro crossover. I may revisit it at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Seems like working as a dev on Mortal Kombat sucks as well. Jiminy's thread under this tweet list some details of his time there.

https://twitter.com/beckhallstedt/status/1121119595279077376?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Just watched the Jax MK11 ending, as I'd heard people were upset about it. Won't be getting the game, never planned on it anyway, was never in any way interested.

**** me, there are some whiney ****ers out there. There's nothing bloody racist about it, it doesn't even mention white people. It literally says that the world is better for everyone. And this is just one character's ending.

Mocked and ridiculed indeed.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Seems like working as a dev on Mortal Kombat sucks as well. Jiminy's thread under this tweet list some details of his time there.

Ye gods, that's bad shít.
    What's worse is that's it's 100% believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Just watched the Jax MK11 ending, as I'd heard people were upset about it. Won't be getting the game, never planned on it anyway, was never in any way interested.

**** me, there are some whiney ****ers out there. There's nothing bloody racist about it, it doesn't even mention white people. It literally says that the world is better for everyone. And this is just one character's ending.

Mocked and ridiculed indeed.

The only people offended by Jax's ending are racists themselves. Imagine being upset over the idea of slavery not existing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »

That tweet is so weird I was at work more than half the time; I'd get 4 hours sleep. I believe him but what a weird way of saying you'd be working 3/4 of the time I imagine.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Unfortunately poor working conditions appear really common at game developers and seemingly have been for a long time. Kinda ironic that Epic are coming under fire for work conditions on fortnite when they claim ending Steams monopoly (its not a monopoly but they do have the dominate market position) is good for game developers on a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

American labour protection and unionisation is almost non-existent. The first thing developers need to do to demand even half-decent working conditions, is to unionise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

American labour protection and unionisation is almost non-existent. The first thing developers need to do to demand even half-decent working conditions, is to unionise.

And as contractors they risk losing their jobs if they do and no reason needs to be given. It's a Catch 22.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement